Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,429 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I was looking for some information on student loan forgiveness. This is especially for those who've gone through a teacher education program at any university in the U.S. I'm wrapping up the teacher ed. program at EMU in Michigan. I've racked up loans totaling so far around 24 thousnd dollars What I would like is info on any states or school districts that offer paying off some or most of your student loans if you sign a contract to work in that district. I am a male and I want to work in elementary school (K-3). I plan to get my endorsements in early childhood and reading. I am married and we have a home. We're not against moving out of state if needed to get the right job. My wife is a nurse. I recently attended a teacher job fair here and although I didn't go to every recruiter that was there, I only saw a few districts that offered student loan forgiveness. Is it common for school districts to offer student loan forgiveness, especially in needed areas like special ed.? Please provide me with any info you have. With other debt we have any relief from other expenses when I'm done school and working will really be fantastic Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:08 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Have you seen this information?
Student Aid on the Web

Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,369 times
I know that the Chicago Public Schools forgive most, if not all, student loans. That isn't enough to make most people want to teach there though. I would think most major city school districts would also have loan forgiveness in order to attract new teachers.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,429 times
Thanks for your input. I heard the same about many schools in major cities offering to pay your student loans if you work for them. As a male I'm told I would be even more marketable in early education grades. I assume big city districts are the same. I'm not against working in an urban setting, although I've heard of some of the problems that can happen there. At the same time, many teachers who have commented on this forum site say that working in an urban setting was a benefit for them. My main concern is what kind of high school system will be in place for our daughter who will be starting H.S. when I start looking for my first teaching job. I would prefer her not to go to a big city high school. Thanks again

Glenn

Old 06-01-2007, 05:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Just because you are working at a school doesn't mean you have to live in that district. Find a place that will forgive your loans, which honestly are NOT bad compared to most, and then find a community with a good school for your children.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
It's kinda like this -- if hordes of teachers are clamoring for jobs in a certain district, there is no need for that district to offer student loan forgiveness to entice people to come work there.

If you're dead-set on having your loans forgiven, plan on working in an illustrious area such as East St. Louis, Compton, Memphis, Detroit, Camden, or one of our lovely border towns.

It's give-and-take, just like anything else in life.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 AM

677 posts, read 4,209,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Thanks for your input. I heard the same about many schools in major cities offering to pay your student loans if you work for them. As a male I'm told I would be even more marketable in early education grades. I assume big city districts are the same. I'm not against working in an urban setting, although I've heard of some of the problems that can happen there. At the same time, many teachers who have commented on this forum site say that working in an urban setting was a benefit for them. My main concern is what kind of high school system will be in place for our daughter who will be starting H.S. when I start looking for my first teaching job. I would prefer her not to go to a big city high school. Thanks again

Glenn
To work in the Chicago Public Schools it's required that you live in Chicago, but the top 3 high schools in Illinois are all in Chicago. Chicago high schools are open-enrollment - students apply to the schools they want to attend. Admission to the better ones is very competitive though. I just wanted to point out that not all big city schools are poor learning environments.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:44 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,463 times
Default student loan forgive

I thought anybody can have up to 5000 or possibly more forgiven just as long as they working at a title one (or similar) school. Title one schools have a high percentage of students on free/reduced lunch. I work at one of these schools but cannot have my loans forgiven because I took these loans out prior to the cutoff date ( I think it was 96) Google student loan forgive. This was signed a few years ago by bush.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I think some of the very rural areas of South Dakota might still do student loan forgiveness but then the pay is almost not a living wage either.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
My cousin tells me that some areas in PA give the teacher better pay for working in sschool districts noted as "combat zones". The teacher's pay is higher.

I have become Disabled and looking for loan forgiveness because I can not work any longer due to my military induced injuries. There is a time value on my loans too because I had to graduate before I evaluated as 100% Disabled. I did graduate long before the time limit.....I would love like heck to continue teaching college but it is impossible even teaching at an Online class such as a tier 2 school would provide me the greatest of joy.

I have around 60k in school debt and paying it at 300 a month. Yeah it is gonna take me almost 30 years but I thought it was better than the original $785 a month route for 10 years or until I could find a district that would assist me. My college and university years average costs were around 28k per year. I had 2 years as a gift for grades and 2 other non payback gifts. My total loan would have been around $140k if I didn't take a firm grip of how I can payback way before I started college.

Camden NJ is a district that can give you an edge for paying off school loans but you must have skin of steel. My cousin started there and she said the students nd parents often do not care if they go to school or just stay home. I think if someone has a student loan that is a large amount then consider Camden NJ. You may make a difference in the kids, parents and your self esteme and the kids and their parents need to know and understand that education is a key factor in getting out of a ghetto community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities