Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,880,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallynn-s View Post

I am a junior and a Spanish major. I just had my first semester at my new school (yes I am a transfer) and I became so stressed out by all of the people in my dorm because I could not sleep it has been so loud, the food made me sick, people are sexually assaulted (I almost was) and there are "condom hunts", sex talks, the people next door have "many overnight guests... ahem", there are f my life boards, and f my life days weekly; people wanting to pull out their "snake for me", people stabbing one another, and it is disgusting and the school won't do anything about it. I couldn't make any friends because no one wanted to talk to me after I told them I did not party, drink, or do drugs. My teachers even told me "men come here to get laid and women come here to pick up a future husband after sleeping with a few other men first" ... ewwwwwwww..... I have evidence of all of this which is sad.

I ran out of money because I got sick from stress and developed major depression and I had to buy medications that my insurance wouldn't pay for (I developed ulcers and acid reflux from stress) and now have to go back to community college or do something else. I am definitely used to stress, my life at home was never peachy neither. I do not know what career and major I want to go into now, no other college will accept my General Education credits (I looked already), and from this experience I no longer wish to attend college. I tried to suck it up and stay, but the counselor and doctor and teachers all told me to leave, the teachers wouldn't even help me. At first I wouldn't leave, but then I ran out of $.

I love to draw, use computers, write (i have written for college newspapers), I love foreign languages, talking to people, business courses are cool (I have a background in this and am close to associates degree in this at community college), I love to garden too and cook. I just have no money and was never able to get scholarships... I've been trying for 3 years with fastweb, etc. I have grants and maybe a loan, they are recalculating it now.

So, I do not know whether or not to go back to community college (which I can't really pay for neither), just work, etc. I feel like a failure and a drop out. My family and boyfriend are supportive (I didn't think my mom would understand) but I have no hope and have lost interest in college and all the things I used to like to do. I am going to try to find someone to talk to because of depression though but I will have to pay for that too.
I would find someone to talk to about the depression. If you are unhappy in your situation, get out. You do have options. You could go to a community college or online school. You could work for a year or two then go back to school. You could look at doing a year in Americorps and getting some help with college when you are finished. You could just find another university. You have to decide which option is best for you and not let us tell you what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,363,469 times
Advice from people on this board other than to seek help for depression is pretty useless. Dpression doesn't always have to do with the situation but can be triggered by other situations in life that bring on stress. its important to get help because it can occur again when your under stress in a different situation.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,961,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I experienced everything you said but worse. My classes were conservative biased because the majority of students are conservatives and the classes were hit and miss. I would rarely say that a class was consistently enjoyable. At least you found them enjoyable.
I did end up picking a large school and a major that involved little more than material memorization and multiple choice tests.

There was hardly time for discussion or subjective grading, so a political bias was only an issue during some freshman composition courses. After that it was all listen to lecture, take notes off powerpoint, read book, take multi choice test.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:26 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,423,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallynn-s View Post

I am a junior and a Spanish major. I just had my first semester at my new school (yes I am a transfer) and I became so stressed out by all of the people in my dorm because I could not sleep it has been so loud, the food made me sick, people are sexually assaulted (I almost was) and there are "condom hunts", sex talks, the people next door have "many overnight guests... ahem", there are f my life boards, and f my life days weekly; people wanting to pull out their "snake for me", people stabbing one another, and it is disgusting and the school won't do anything about it. I couldn't make any friends because no one wanted to talk to me after I told them I did not party, drink, or do drugs. My teachers even told me "men come here to get laid and women come here to pick up a future husband after sleeping with a few other men first" ... ewwwwwwww..... I have evidence of all of this which is sad.

I ran out of money because I got sick from stress and developed major depression and I had to buy medications that my insurance wouldn't pay for (I developed ulcers and acid reflux from stress) and now have to go back to community college or do something else. I am definitely used to stress, my life at home was never peachy neither. I do not know what career and major I want to go into now, no other college will accept my General Education credits (I looked already), and from this experience I no longer wish to attend college. I tried to suck it up and stay, but the counselor and doctor and teachers all told me to leave, the teachers wouldn't even help me. At first I wouldn't leave, but then I ran out of $.

I love to draw, use computers, write (i have written for college newspapers), I love foreign languages, talking to people, business courses are cool (I have a background in this and am close to associates degree in this at community college), I love to garden too and cook. I just have no money and was never able to get scholarships... I've been trying for 3 years with fastweb, etc. I have grants and maybe a loan, they are recalculating it now.

So, I do not know whether or not to go back to community college (which I can't really pay for neither), just work, etc. I feel like a failure and a drop out. My family and boyfriend are supportive (I didn't think my mom would understand) but I have no hope and have lost interest in college and all the things I used to like to do. I am going to try to find someone to talk to because of depression though but I will have to pay for that too.
Hey, don't worry about it. I'm about to finish college on December 19th, and I honestly had a hard time this semester. I am glad that I'm done due to the immaturity and psudo-intellectualism from a lot of my peers, and wanting to find something new with my life. Depression is unfortunately extremely common at this age because we're all trying to figure out where we fit in the world, what to do with our lives, and mostly who we are as people. Depression is even more common at my university due to the fact that its extremely competitive, and some of these kids commit suicide since they can't face the fact that they can get grades lower than an A.

What I can tell you is: Get the idea that you're a failure out of your mind! Every time you think like that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Every endeavor you undertake will always have an undercurrent of feeling like you'll fail, so you'll end up putting less effort into it since you feel you'll know the result, and then you will do less well. I've had that problem for much of my life, and still kind of do. Most of all, don't listen to your teachers, discouraging peers, whatever. Do what feels right to you! Try to find someone to talk to, either a really good therapist or even a good friend to hear you out.

Honestly, I would take some time off and really think about what's important about you. The nice thing about higher education is that the option is always there whenever you feel that its the correct one. This may be a year process, a 5 year process, a 10 year process..whatever it takes. The option will always be there for you. It's better to go through the stress of classes and college when you are mentally prepared, rather than saunter through not learning anything. That's a wasted investment.

When I transferred to Berkeley, I came with a scholarship from Berkeley and scholarships from my community college. I used to work in my community college's foundation office, and found out that there are a lot of donors that are willing to give you at least some money for your education.

I hope this helps! Good luck to you

Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,472 times
I just wanted to throw my two cents in on this. I had a nervous breakdown during a class in November. I walked into my school crisis center and that led to me being hospitalized in a psych ward for 2 weeks. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. This diagnosis has clarified a lot for me. I know now why I got irritated with my roommates, why I couldn't study, why I never went out. I have a supportive unit and well as 3 medications to help me. I would really suggest speaking with someone at your school health center. Had I not walked in there, I would have killed myself that day. The psych doc I worked with identified my problem and intervened before I hurt myself. Depression is serious. I battle with it every day. Unfortunately, medication might help. Don't disregard it. Counciling might help as well. If you need someone to talk to, look me up and hang in there.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,692,153 times
crystallynn-s

hi. I think U should take a break at the least from college and just don't think about it. And don't do anything just because you want to please ur mom... Parents dont understand that college is a for-profit scam and the minute u prove teachers do a horrible job, the minute they want u to drop out. My teacher also told me to "drop the course" and I did. Now I've just been working, being happy and debt/loan free. Saving up for something better so I don't have to slave through life with my degree, probably worthless anyway. I read more books than ever since I dropped out and noone would ever guess I'm a college dropout talking to me. Stick to what makes u happy, maybe cooking or writing a book. Whatever it is stick to what draws ur attention and u will always be happy. DOn't let negative feelings snowball and attract all other negative things that are happening, they're useless to u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities