Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

I want to become a Nurse. But I can't decide if I should go for the 2 year or 4 year RN degree/
I am 33 years old and ready to make a living. I have wasted way too much time already.
I understand that a 2 year Associate in Nursing really takes about 3 years because of your pre-reqs. And a 4 year BA really takes about 5 years.
I also understand that with A BNA in nursing the job aspects are greater as far a going into management positions.

I don't want to go in school for 5 straight years, unless of-course that is my best option. I was thinking I should go for the 2-3 year and get my ADN- RN, work a few years and make some money, and later on go back to school and get my BA?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 09-29-2009 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,973 times
Go for the 2 year deal. You'll be out faster and making money that way. Then you can decide if you REALLY want that bachelor's degree. I know many RN's pulling in the $60's with just a 2yr degree.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Check to see if it would really take 5 yrs. Unless your compass scores are really low and you have to take developmental courses before taking things like general Biology or College Algebra or English, you should be able to complete the BSN in 4yrs once you begin. Think of it this way - the professional program of nursing courses and clinicals is 4 semesters (2 yrs). You generally have to take 1-2 yrs of prerequisites to have what you need for nursing school. A BSN program is going to track you to do your pre-reqs in the freshman and sophomore years. Even if you do have to take developmental coursework, you can take summer courses.

Honestly, the BSN won't take you much longer. I can't imagine fewer than 3 semesters of pre-requisites for any nursing program (you are going to need general Bio first to take A&P and A&P is usually 2 semesters).

You may save one year by going the ADN route. Where the time savings may change is which program accepts you first and when they start. Some programs start once a year, others a few times per year.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Go for the BSN. Look at some prgrams you are interested in online. Most are 4 years, 8 semesters. Some require 2-4 semesters of pre-reqs, then two years of nursing, others admit you straight into the nursing program.

An ADN takes at least 2 1/2 years, plus wait list time.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,504 times
Get the BSN. If you ever want to go into management or an educator position, you'll need it. This is especially true at magnet facilities where every manager has to have at least a BSN.

I don't know of anywhere that offers a BA in Nursing - you want a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. You need the science core. You're still young. I'm 38 and finishing my doctorate in nursing. It's never too late.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Get the BSN. If you ever want to go into management or an educator position, you'll need it. This is especially true at magnet facilities where every manager has to have at least a BSN.

I don't know of anywhere that offers a BA in Nursing - you want a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. You need the science core. You're still young. I'm 38 and finishing my doctorate in nursing. It's never too late.
St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN gives a BA in nursing.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:39 PM

Sorry, was not familiar with it. It's far more common to offer a BSN.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:03 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Go for the 2 year degree. That way you will be out and earning money. The BSN is good for when you want to go to managment. You maybe able to get your employer to cover it and the real world experince may make it easier. My mom is a nurse who climbed from LPN to 2 year RN to 4 year RN(and got into managment) to MSN. In this state the 2 year RN takes the same certification test as the 4 year RN and can you imagine trying to rember all that information for so long. Her job reinbursed for all her classes but part of the masters(they had real bad cut backs that year.) And being a high earning professional it was easy for her to save/pay for classes.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Go for the 2 year degree. That way you will be out and earning money. The BSN is good for when you want to go to managment. You maybe able to get your employer to cover it and the real world experince may make it easier. My mom is a nurse who climbed from LPN to 2 year RN to 4 year RN(and got into managment) to MSN. In this state the 2 year RN takes the same certification test as the 4 year RN and can you imagine trying to rember all that information for so long. Her job reinbursed for all her classes but part of the masters(they had real bad cut backs that year.) And being a high earning professional it was easy for her to save/pay for classes.
Unfortunately, many people don't get to the part about "going back to school".

Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 PM

Have you investigated programs (often state-sponsored) that pay your tuition and fees if you agree to work in the state for a specified amount of time after graduation - usually two years? I did it with my BSN originally - 2 years flew by, I was able to work during college, nursing school, no biggie and I had no debt. I did go back to become an NP and do really well (worked all the way through that program too). There are a lot of programs that will offer you a stipend while you're in school. Look at Johnson and Johnson and American Nurses Association to start. i think they will pay for ADN or BSN programs. Just didn't that option to go unexplored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities