Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to start my Masters. Since I'm in the Military I won't need to be moving into the "work force" for 12 more years. I'm considering just tacking on some more work and going all the way for the PhD.
However, what can I do with that degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,209 times
teach in a university or be a school administrator

Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,630 times
Teach in a university but most of them probably require some teaching experience (at least three years at the places I checked). That's what I discovered when I looked into it a few years ago. Most school administrators also have teaching experience, but I don't know if that is a requirement.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 AM

519 posts, read 1,696,971 times
My friend is getting an EDD in California, and he can be a principal or admin (like school Superintendent). The downside, according to a local HS principal, is that his EDD will be worthless unless he has a teaching credential (which he doesn't) as EDDs primarily work in primary and secondary education. However, he does have his English MA with teaching experience, so he could go the Admin route.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:29 PM

557 posts, read 2,610,697 times
Teach/do research. Which area of education? Counselor Ed/School Psych. you can do counseling, too. Are planning to stay in Education for certain after the Master's? Since you're in the military, what about a Ph.D. in Organizational Psychology?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Do you teach now in the military? If not, why are you getting a Dr. in education?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:03 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Thanks everyone. I do teach in the military. I've been teaching 40 hours a week for the last three years. What I teach is acredited through the southern association of colleges, and provides my students with transferable college credit.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get my Doctorate or not, I'm just trying to see if it would be smart.

I've only been in the military for 9 years, and I plan on retiring.

I'll have a Masters by 2011... so I'm not quite there yet, just trying to make a long term plan.

I figured I might as well get a doctorates. Education is free for me, so why not?

I would eventually like to teach at the college level. I want to teach sciences. I figured if I get my Doctorate in Education I can go back and get a Masters in one of the sciences afterwards.

I have a BS in managment... general. Very General. I used to be a lab tech, and will stop teaching and return to the lab in two years. I thought about just getting the Master in education and then going back and getting a BS in laboratry technology followed by a Master's in Biology or Chemistry or something like that.

But then I thought it seems like less work to just get a doctorate in Education instead of going back and going through all those science classes.

I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Classroom experience is going to be a big piece of the puzzle for any of the positions that a doctorate in education opens up.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 PM

272 posts, read 730,140 times
Except for being what SC calls "education associates" at its state dept of education. 20% of these are being laid off by the way. I would check and see if that is a trend.

If you want to teach a natural science in a university degrees in education generally are irrelevant. You would need a doctoral degree in whatever field you wish to teach. The exception might be in very small community colleges, which might actually be a lot more pleasant. But check the market for such positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities