Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:22 AM

27,801 posts, read 28,907,861 times

Advertisements

It is well-known that for-profit universities have a certain stigma.

I guess I was talking about more normal universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:22 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,799,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Never heard of going to the Caribbean for graduate nursing degrees either. Maybe you have some links?

I was an RN for 45 years. I doubt you are going to teach me anything about nursing education. In the past, you've said an AAS will not allow you to take the NCLEX-RN exam.
I guess I'm wrong on the AP Nurses in the Caribbean. I had overheard a FNP at my hospital tell an intern that she had attended a Caribbean Nursing School, I just assumed it was for her NP as that is a phenomenal price to pay for a degree that can be had in the states for just a few thousand.

Not sure where you think you saw me say an associates prepared nurse couldn't take the NCLEX, as I've never said such a thing.

Now a random AAS doesn't allow someone to sit the boards, and clearly one who received an associates or bachelors in nursing must study on their own in addition to what the school taught them to do well on their boards, but I've never said that an associates prepared nurse cannot sit the boards.

Back to the issue at hand:

Sending people to For-profit schools that have lower requirements, while also jacking up their debt load is a risky venture and isn't a great path out of poverty.

But that's where kids go when they can't get into the good schools, and why, because we tell them they can do it, because we sell college as a ticket out of poverty?

It's not, and by at least demanding that prospective students explain their postgrad plans, we can get prospective students to think about the time and money they are about to put towards a degree that might not be what they think it is.

Last edited by MDrenter223; 03-28-2016 at 08:33 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 09:29 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,130,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
I guess I'm wrong on the AP Nurses in the Caribbean. I had overheard a FNP at my hospital tell an intern that she had attended a Caribbean Nursing School, I just assumed it was for her NP as that is a phenomenal price to pay for a degree that can be had in the states for just a few thousand.

Not sure where you think you saw me say an associates prepared nurse couldn't take the NCLEX, as I've never said such a thing.

Now a random AAS doesn't allow someone to sit the boards, and clearly one who received an associates or bachelors in nursing must study on their own in addition to what the school taught them to do well on their boards, but I've never said that an associates prepared nurse cannot sit the boards.

Back to the issue at hand:

Sending people to For-profit schools that have lower requirements, while also jacking up their debt load is a risky venture and isn't a great path out of poverty.

But that's where kids go when they can't get into the good schools, and why, because we tell them they can do it, because we sell college as a ticket out of poverty?

It's not, and by at least demanding that prospective students explain their postgrad plans, we can get prospective students to think about the time and money they are about to put towards a degree that might not be what they think it is.
My apologies. I thought I was replying to NYWriterdude. That's what I get for posting after the Easter guests have all gone home and the dishes have all been done. Call me

When I said AAS, I meant an AAS in nursing. You have to have a nursing degree from an approved school of nursing, can be AAS, BSN or diploma (no degree) to take the NCLEX-RN.

I disagree with the premise that we "sell" college as a ticket out of poverty, although the statistics continually show that college grads have higher earnings and lower UE in general than those who don't.

When did we jump from all colleges to "for-profit" colleges?

Lots of people don't have post-grad plans at 17, 18 years of age. Some of us are doing jobs that didn't even exist when we were that age, such as a lot of older computer workers. Grad school may seem like decades off to an 18 year old.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
My apologies. I thought I was replying to NYWriterdude. That's what I get for posting after the Easter guests have all gone home and the dishes have all been done. Call me

When I said AAS, I meant an AAS in nursing. You have to have a nursing degree from an approved school of nursing, can be AAS, BSN or diploma (no degree) to take the NCLEX-RN.

I disagree with the premise that we "sell" college as a ticket out of poverty, although the statistics continually show that college grads have higher earnings and lower UE in general than those who don't.

When did we jump from all colleges to "for-profit" colleges?

Lots of people don't have post-grad plans at 17, 18 years of age. Some of us are doing jobs that didn't even exist when we were that age, such as a lot of older computer workers. Grad school may seem like decades off to an 18 year old.
I went to for-profits because that's where the people who don't cut it go (granted the for-profits were amount the leaders in flexible education, but non-profits have caught up).

If you are paying more, for a degree that is worth less, then college isn't a good idea.

Sure college graduates can make more, but those are graduates, and over a wide degree set.

If they don't know what they want to be, then they shouldn't be spending tens of thousands of dollars that they don't have to figure it out.

Community College does a great job of taking care of the core courses for exploration. The military is another option for exploring ones for those who are eligible (our military needs everything from secretaries to nuclear engineers and they train them all, pay them, and the young people who serve can earn the GI Bill that will put them through college if they have a well defined plan and the ability to maintain decent grades, it will not allow them to just take courses at random).

Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,130,478 times
Quote:
I went to for-profits because that's where the people who don't cut it go (granted the for-profits were amount the leaders in flexible education, but non-profits have caught up).

If you are paying more, for a degree that is worth less, then college isn't a good idea.

Sure college graduates can make more, but those are graduates, and over a wide degree set.

If they don't know what they want to be, then they shouldn't be spending tens of thousands of dollars that they don't have to figure it out.

Community College does a great job of taking care of the core courses for exploration. The military is another option for exploring ones for those who are eligible (our military needs everything from secretaries to nuclear engineers and they train them all, pay them, and the young people who serve can earn the GI Bill that will put them through college if they have a well defined plan and the ability to maintain decent grades, it will not allow them to just take courses at random).
The military option includes several extra years, and they don't all graduate either.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The military option includes several extra years, and they don't all graduate either.
Yes, many wash out of the military, but for those that stick around for a typical four year stint they will learn a lot about themselves, and a lot about life via their peers.

It is a four year delay in getting on with life, but is that so bad?

Graduate high school, get sent off to the Air Force to work on the electronics systems on jets, get paid $18,000/yr (plus room, board, and healthcare), leave the service and go to college having it all paid for as long as a clear path is chosen, stuck to and results in decent grades, and will get at least $750/month to live on if they go to school full time.

Again, here are people being told to pick their degree plan and execute it in four years with no general survey of classes. Something certainly done to save time and money, so wouldn't such direction be a worthwhile requirement for all students? Especially if you are coming from a position of free education.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:29 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,664,011 times
A completed college degree - in anything, from a regionally accredited college (NOT UNIVERSITY of PHOENIX etc) ALWAYS "cuts your way out of poverty".

That does not mean that you will be a millionaire. It means you will have a job and be middle class. Could be lower. Could be upper.

One also does need to learn to speak standard American English. Not slang.

Last edited by SoulJourn; 03-28-2016 at 06:14 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 05:49 PM

10,372 posts, read 10,749,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
A completed college degree - in anything, from a regionally accredited college (NOT UNIVERSITY of PHOENIX etc) ALWAYS "cuts your way out of poverty".

That does not mean that you will be a millionaire. It means you will have a job and be middle class. Could be lower. Could be upper.

You do need to learn to speak standard American English.
Sounds pretty simple. Unfortunately it doesn't work for everyone.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:20 PM

294 posts, read 479,209 times
Quote:
Anyone who couldn't muster a 3.0 GPA in high school.
Ehh, this isn't necessarily a good criteria. I know plenty of people who achieved less than a 3.0 in high school who did well in college (me included). I also know many who did much better than a 3.0 in high school who did very poorly in college (from mid-range schools). It depends on the person really. College is a sink or swim experience and much different than high school. Personally, I found college easier than high school being able to study more of what I found interesting. This could easily apply to anyone who didn't much like high school.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
Ehh, this isn't necessarily a good criteria. I know plenty of people who achieved less than a 3.0 in high school who did well in college (me included). I also know many who did much better than a 3.0 in high school who did very poorly in college (from mid-range schools). It depends on the person really. College is a sink or swim experience and much different than high school. Personally, I found college easier than high school being able to study more of what I found interesting. This could easily apply to anyone who didn't much like high school.
Of course there are outliers, I know a few people who barely got into medschool but finished AOA because they finally got to their niche, but perhaps a less expensive path would be prudent for such individuals.

The masses have been given freedom of choice, and now complain that they were duped or that their educational debt load has left them destitute and unable to own a home or the latest iPhone. So clearly we have to break through to all the poor little Jonnies and Susies of the country and keep them safe from their choices.

You get choice, but with choice comes responsibility. Period.

I couldn't careless if someone wants to spend their time and money (present or future) studying undergrad marine biology, or psychology, or women's studies, it means less competitive housing markets for me, but it is their bed to lay in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities