Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,595,798 times

Advertisements

Currently, I'm attending the University of South Alabama; it's a state university with graduate and undergraduate programs. I don't really feel like I'm getting enough out of the online teacher preparation program, though. I didn't feel prepared after I earned my bachelor's degree, so I decided to go for my master's in a similar subject. Well, I feel even less prepared there. The instructors do not prepare us for many of the situations we face in the classroom. I feel as lost as probably would if I had no college background. I can put together a lesson plan and write a rubric, but in the classroom I always second-guess myself on standards, goals, and objectives. I also have trouble coming up with assessments. I almost have a master's degree but still doubt my ability to put all of the pieces together in the classroom.

Really, I think I need to attend a better college, one that will teach me how to match theory with practice. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm still short on money, but I really need to make a change. I simply do not think I'm learning what I need to know here. Everyone is on a different page, and it's confusing me. I need to know the bare bones of actually operating as an actual classroom teacher in a real school setting. As it stands, when I'm in front of the students, my lessons fall apart, and they attempt to eat me alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:11 PM

154 posts, read 309,027 times
I'm not a teacher and have no desire whatsoever to be one, but many of my family members are in education. Listening to their conversations and stories over the years, it seems to me that what you describe is normal. A M.A. is an M.A.; it's a credential, not a substitute for experience with real live human children.

Why don't you ask your school to put you in touch with recent graduates of your program and ask them how they felt prior to graduation, just after graduation, and a year or two after graduation? And why not get in touch with local teachers and ask them what their early experiences in the classroom were like? You can also ask these individuals for advice and maybe even make a good connection that will help you out later with networking.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,744,648 times
Sorry to be so blunt, but you've posted enough about your woes here that a transfer probably isn't going to solve your problem.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,644,917 times
I don't want to be as blunt as MAF above, but I agree.

You've gotten some good advice in your other threads. You're still trying to solve these problems yourself, and it's past time to find some help in the real world, in my opinion.

For the problems in this particular post, you need a mentor with whom you can understand and relate. I don't know how your department of education is set up, but it seems like you should have an adviser, teacher trainer, and head of the department whom you could contact for help with these problems.

You might start with making an appointment with your adviser and talking though the concerns in your post. If s/he can't help you, go up the line until you get someone who will work with you. If you don't have an adviser or don't know where to find him or her, start by contacting your department, and I would strongly suggest going in person Tu - Thurs between 9:30 - 11:30 or 2:00 - 4:00 because that's generally when the most administrators are in.

I know that I've also mentioned that you also benefit from seeing a counselor about potential emotional issues, and your college should have some available for students to see. You might also ask your adviser about that or contact student services.

But don't transfer until you have tried all of the services offered by your present college!

You are intelligent and can overcome these problems! Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities