Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,302,034 times

Advertisements

TV shows have painted a very unrealistic view of how forensic science works. No one who is working on investigating a case will do the analytical chemistry or molecular biology work. I would not advise any of my students to major in forensic science because law enforcement typically does not hire forensic science majors, they send their veteran police officers back to school to get training if necessary. I feel it is unethical for colleges to offer the major to traditional undergraduates when all of the jobs require 10+ years of experience in a different field.

Much of actual lab work is typically done in a lab headed by a PhD scientist, usually an analytical chemist, with a team of technicians with various skills. The analyses are not exciting like on TV, and the scientists have no idea how their results will impact the case. A former student of mine who does this type of lab work says that 90%+ of the work she does is determining the amount of alcohol or narcotics are in the blood of crash victims and in mandatory blood tests that are triggered by accidents or lawsuits. Most of the work is testing and calibrating the instrument, the actual sample is just a tube that sits in the autosampler. The rest of the lab work is sent off to commercial labs.

If you want to investigate, you need to go into law enforcement. The only scientists that are typically involved in the cases themselves are expert witnesses, but they have a separate "day job" in industry or academia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,106,706 times
Apparently, in the real world, many people don't care about GPA or think it has any bearing to your work ethic or how you will perform as an employee. So, don't worry about it.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 AM

164 posts, read 243,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I was the same at your age. I wasted my initial college experience and had a low gpa because of that young adult existential crisis thing. Now that I'm older, man how often I look back at those years and wish that I had done things differently! Truly.

What you are doing NOW in your life impacts the REST of your life. OK, so take a deep breath and now start over. But this time, do it with resolve. Your grades are the only thing that matter right now. You need to raise them for the transfer. Definitely transfer and start with a clean slate -- it's what I did, and it was the best decision ever and eventually put me on a great academic track. In the transfer, you are likely to start with a new gpa at the new college. However, your main job right now is to actually get into the forensics program. To get in, you will have to demonstrate a CLEAR change in your academic behavior. Drastic. It is time to make all A's so that when you write the transfer application, you can explain that you were previously having difficulty, but you have now grown up, discovered your passion, are focused and working hard to achieve your goals. They need to see demonstrable change.

I say "grown up" because in actuality, that is the root of your problem. Depression, anxiety, financial issues, disliking your professors and peers, feeling antisocial....all of that collectively will be interpreted as immaturity and making excuses by an admissions committee. Achieving goals takes a lot of focus and hard work, so now is the time to let all of those barriers go and just do the work. Study every day, have a study plan, always attend classes and do homework, forget about socializing, be honest with yourself and get rid of the emotional drama. Don't vent anymore, just do the work. Even in the classes you dislike. Sign up for classes that make sense for your goals, and redo basic coursework if necessary. Choose carefully, but show that you can now undertake rigorous coursework with maturity and have clear goals.

It is definitely possible to start over, cut loose from your past academic record, and achieve your goals in this new career. I graduated with my first degree at age 28, which felt old at the time, but is actually quite young. Don't let your fears or doubts affect you anymore, just let them go and do the work. Focus on action, on doing. Let the rest go. Don't worry about finding a spouse or friends right now. It's nice if those things occur, but they are so not the priority right now. Spend all your waking time at the library and build your carer right now. Make all A's, for by doing so, you will open up the possibility of graduate school if you eventually find yourself needing an advanced degree.

So did you waste time and money in your first college experience? Right now the answer would be yes. But if you turn your academic record around and work hard to achieve your goals, which you WILL achieve if you set your mind to it, this time floundering would then be of value because you needed it to discover your passion and "find yourself". So prove to yourself and an admissions committee (and whoever was paying the tuition bill -- parents?) that you have finally grown up.

Please know that I am saying this with much love. It is what I needed to hear at age 23, and did, from a college counselor.
i want to thank you and i do appreciate your words of encouragement.

when i done some reflecting about my school situation, i really did see myself as a loser and weak. i'm going to turn this all around though.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Are you majoring in forensic science because you like the TV show CSI? That's not a good idea. There are some less competitive medical professions - physician's assistant, optometrist, pharmacist - that pay well. Did you consider any of those? You would need more school of course. And how is the job market for forensic science? I have to tell you that I know at least 3 other students who chose that major because of the TV show.

You also didn't say how close you are to finishing. If you are very close to finishing, then don't transfer unless you are sure it won't cost you any more time. Finish as quickly as possible and get on with your life.
i love watching shows like csi, first 48, etc. but thats not why i chose forensic science; i think the field is fascinating especially with the sub-divisions within this field. and i also think its amazing because you are speaking for the victims who cant speak. a family member of mine was murdered last year and even though she couldnt talk, the evidence that was still under her nails spoke volumes. it really hit me hard about her death because we grew up together. so, i would say she is part of the inspiration of the career that i chose.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
There are some less competitive medical professions - physician's assistant, optometrist, pharmacist - that pay well. Did you consider any of those?
So he is talking about a very low GPA and you are suggesting he still get into one of these HIGHLY competitive positions? I think even someone with a 3.0 would have a very hard time getting into these graduate studies.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:36 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,300,574 times
If you don't want to work in a lab, why do you still have your sights set on a forensic science degree?

Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you don't want to work in a lab, why do you still have your sights set on a forensic science degree?
because form what i know, some csi's have a forensic science degree. even the overview of the program says csi as one of the careers you can have with the degree. an assistant professor here majored in biology, got a masters in forensic science, and was csi for 10 yrs.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
So he is talking about a very low GPA and you are suggesting he still get into one of these HIGHLY competitive positions? I think even someone with a 3.0 would have a very hard time getting into these graduate studies.
i'm female lol

Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,300,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahprints View Post
because form what i know, some csi's have a forensic science degree. even the overview of the program says csi as one of the careers you can have with the degree. an assistant professor here majored in biology, got a masters in forensic science, and was csi for 10 yrs.

This goes back to your previous post from a day or two ago. The school is telling you what you want to hear. Yes, you"can" have a career as a CSI with a FS degree. Is it likely? No, it is very unlikely since civilian CSI positions are almost nonexistent. You can also have a career as an astronaut with a forensic science degree. I have known a ton of detectives and evidence techs over the decades and not a single one had a degree in FS. Every forensic scientist I have know has had a degree in FS, chem or bio but, as we have discussed before, they are not investigators. Your professor is an outlier, not a norm. I think you have talked yourself into a degree program without understanding what you are getting into and what your real job prospects are.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
This goes back to your previous post from a day or two ago. The school is telling you what you want to hear. Yes, you"can" have a career as a CSI with a FS degree. Is it likely? No, it is very unlikely since civilian CSI positions are almost nonexistent. You can also have a career as an astronaut with a forensic science degree. I have known a ton of detectives and evidence techs over the decades and not a single one had a degree in FS. Every forensic scientist I have know has had a degree in FS, chem or bio but, as we have discussed before, they are not investigators. Your professor is an outlier, not a norm. I think you have talked yourself into a degree program without understanding what you are getting into and what your real job prospects are.
i actually do understand. if you search online, you would see csi's would have a degree in forensic science or some kind natural science, or criminal justice.

as i stated earlier, i'm interested in law enforcement so i would have to be an officer before csi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities