Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,810,145 times

Advertisements

I've been offered admission into two universities in Southern California, USC (private) and University of California-Irvine (public).

For my graduate program of choice, these schools are both excellent, with USC having the #1 program in the U.S. and UCI ranking #12. This is a field that, long story short, will have a lot of relevance in this country for years to come, as well as in Latin America and East Asia which are rapidly developing regions.

To break it down a little more:

USC
  • Well known for having one of the world's strongest alumni networks! A huge sell.
  • Great location in L.A. (well, the neighborhood isn't great, but L.A. is USC's classroom).
  • Professors in my field have a combination of academic credentials and practical experience.
  • A lot of cross-pollination between multiple programs, making for a better-rounded education.
  • One of the most selective universities, public or private, in the country.
  • EXPENSIVE!!! And while some 50% of admits were offered scholarships, I was NOT.

UCI
  • In a beautiful location next to a massive park on one side and the ocean on the other. Easy access to L.A. and San Diego.
  • The rise in respect and rankings at this university is incredible, now the #12 overall public university in the nation and #3 most competitive UC in admissions.
  • The program itself is newer, but becoming better established and I still like what I've seen.
  • Not as much cross-pollination, not as well-rounded as the opportunities USC presents. (Then again, its endowment isn't as massive as USC's.)
  • MUCH CHEAPER!!! To the tune of $50k cheaper overall than USC!

I want USC, but am not sure it is worth the extra burden, and I still think I'd be very satisfied with UCI. What would you do?

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-09-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 06:42 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I've been offered admission into two universities in Southern California, USC and University of California-Irvine.

For my graduate program of choice, these schools are both excellent, with USC having the #1 program in the U.S. and UCI ranking #12. This is a field that, long story short, will have a lot of relevance in this country for years to come, as well as in Latin America and East Asia which are rapidly developing regions.

USC
  • Well known for having one of the world's strongest alumni networks! A huge sell.
  • Great location in L.A. (well, the neighborhood isn't great, but L.A. is USC's classroom).
  • Professors in my field have a combination of academic credentials and practical experience.
  • A lot of cross-pollination between multiple programs, making for a better-rounded education.
  • EXPENSIVE!!! And while some 50% of admits were offered scholarships, I was NOT.

UCI
  • In a beautiful location next to a massive park on one side and the ocean on the other.
  • The rise in respect and rankings at this university is incredible, now the #12 overall public university in the nation and #3 most competitive UC in admissions.
  • The program field is newer, but becoming better established and I still like what I've seen.
  • Not as much cross-pollination, not as well-rounded as the opportunities USC presents.

I want USC, but am not sure it is worth the extra burden, and I still think I'd be very satisfied with UCI. What would you do?
First, there is one important thing about grad school that you must consider first. It is NOT about how good the program is or about how high your grades are. It's much more about how much the faculty there are able and willing to support you. You NEED faculty support to be successful. Both financially and professionally. I went to a great school, but didn't have a faculty mentor. In fact, I was disliked by several powerful members of the faculty (for reasons professional, not personal). I would have known that if I'd only gone there, in person, and taken the time to meet and speak with everyone beforehand. I should have talked about my research interests or plans or just tried to get a feel for people. Instead, I showed up like it was my first day of undergrad and realized right away that I was in trouble. Without support, I really had no hope of success in the field. I finished, but have not worked in nor had contact with the field since then.

So if you need to decide, then you need to march right down there and start getting to know the full-time faculty. Look at the full professors most seriously and then the associates - assistant professors are likely to leave before you finish and then you're basically on your own. Been there.

Be on the lookout for a faculty mentor or potential mentor. Make sure they don't already have too many graduate students that they are working with. And of course you will want to find the best faculty mentors that you can - just remember that the best won't do you any good if they aren't going to stick their necks out for you down the road.

If after visiting both places you still don't know, remember that it's not a good sign that they didn't offer you money. In fact, it's a very bad sign. Nevertheless, sometimes people come in with nothing and then make a good enough impression after the fact to get money in their second year. Not often, but sometimes.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
Quote:
I've been offered admission into two universities in Southern California, USC (private) and University of California-Irvine (public).

USC

UCI
  • In a beautiful location next to a massive park on one side and the ocean on the other. Easy access to L.A. and San Diego.
  • The program itself is newer, but becoming better established and I still like what I've seen.
  • Not as much cross-pollination, not as well-rounded as the opportunities USC presents. (Then again, its endowment isn't as massive as USC's.)

Two things in your post stand out:

1). You mention respect/prestige.

2). You claim your field is going to see tremendous growth in the future.

For one, you should never chose a grad program based on rank and/or prestige. Besides, most graduate programs, even at lowly ranked universities, have fairly competitive admissions. And to be quite frank, you may have been admitted into both of these programs based on criteria that you have not considered.

For two, you should never go to grad school for financial reasons unless the lack of a higher degree is the only thing blocking a promotion.

With that, if you think you will be happy with Irvine, then go there.

Would this be for a Masters or Ph.D.?

Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Bummer that you didn't get a scholarship from USC. I was going to advise you go there, since they're top (I assume you mean: quality) in your field, but you may not have that choice. Call their financial aid office, and see if you qualify for work-study, and ask what other aid options might be available to you.

Compare the faculty of each school in your relevant deparment. See if that helps you arrive at a decision.

Talk to the graduate adviser or the chair of the dept. in your field at USC, and see if you'd qualify for a teaching assistantship after your first year. Have you attended academic conferences in your field? That's how you make connections and get people to notice you at the school/program you want. If the department thinks you're a promising candidate, they'll want to recruit you, and will put together a package to help you work your way through school.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:09 AM

I have started contacting various research centers at the schools of interest. Professors, not yet, but that is a great idea.

I have interviewed for more than ten jobs around the U.S. in this field. And have been beaten by applicants with higher education or much more experience. For many even entry level positions, master's degrees are required today. So, it really is pretty much a necessity, more so than a financial/income reason.

I would like to contact the schools and ask them what I provided that prompted them to offer me admission. Good idea or not?

Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
50k more is a lot. What is the starting salary and how many get jobs easy?

Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:

USC

UCI

You're doing a masters in 'something' right?

Irvine and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Those rankings won't mean jack squat when looking for a job, unless it's a pHd, which I infer it's not.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:54 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:

I would like to contact the schools and ask them what I provided that prompted them to offer me admission. Good idea or not?
The fact that they want your $?

Joking. Although Masters programs do reject students, it's not as competitive as pHd programs. Because in general, pHd students are labor and Masters students fund the program with tuition.

I mean, I'm exaggerating a bit, but in general Masters programs aren't that competitive to get into. And the less practical the field in a job demand sense, the less competitive.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
The short answer is to go to USC. If you're going to do additional college, do it right.

The long answer is that there's more to it than rankings. I'd suggest having lunch with various faculty (1 on 1s) and maybe the dean and see what specific research areas are being explored in your field. Determine which professors and areas of study you like and weigh them against eachother.

$50k is quite a bit of difference in money but it's much less important than choosing the right place to study. If you're lucky, the right place might turn out to be the cheaper one.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 PM

Looks like Irvine. USC is plain unaffordable, and deep down I think I'd be happier anyway at Irvine.

I feel great about my decision.

Thanks to everyone for chipping in with advice and tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities