Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 4,144 times

Advertisements

I have 35,000 in students loans with an combination of subsidized and unsubsidized loans. I had a part-time job, but now I'm currently unemployed. I'm in my second semester of Graduate School, which I took a 10,000 unsubsidized loan out.

I'm considering maybe I should withdraw from the program after this semester. The reason I went was I couldn't find a job with my undergraduate degree and it really wasn't what I wanted to do.The Graduate program is in something I'm passionate about, but, the starting pay is around 28,000-30,000. The reason I went is you would get a internship at the end of the program. But now, I don't know because I got this amount of loans with no job.

I really want to pay this debt; but without a job I can't. I think maybe a career degree might help in the job area. But I would still have to take out loans to do a healthcare program like nursing or vocational degree.

If I continued in the graduate program I would have to take out another 10,000 unsubsidized loan,
Do you all think I should withdraw? Take a vocational course?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,326,646 times
What is your undergrad degree? And what are you getting a graduate degree in? (This will help me decide if it's worth it or not)

Normally, I would tell you to stay in grad school but with a starting salary of $30k, it might not be worth it.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,751,842 times
If a Master's will only get you a $30K / yr job then it's not worth it. You can go to a 9 month trade school $5900 program in CNC machining and probably start out in a $14/hr job.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,796,885 times
There are income-based loan repayment programs IF your loan is a federal loan.

If it were me, I'd stick with the program but these are some questions you might want to consider: Are there any other fields you can see yourself working in?
Is the field for which you're obtaining an advanced degree one that will have a decent amount of positions when you graduate?
Is there potential for your income to grow in this field, even though the starting pay is low?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Pinkmani,

My degree was in general studies with an emphasis in marketing. This is not what I wanted to do. I really didn't know what I wanted to do. I should have figured out what I wanted to do before I went to college.

Being undecided and wishing I had more responsive advisors, and reflection with God, I figured out my calling is to help students navigate college life and planning. My graduate program is in Student Affairs.

Great questions Purplelove08

Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeL View Post
Pinkmani,

My degree was in general studies with an emphasis in marketing. This is not what I wanted to do. I really didn't know what I wanted to do. I should have figured out what I wanted to do before I went to college.

Being undecided and wishing I had more responsive advisors, and reflection with God, I figured out my calling is to help students navigate college life and planning. My graduate program is in Student Affairs.

Great questions Purplelove08

I considered Student Affairs/Higher Education Administration. I love college students and the university setting. I have a friend who does that kind of work and he seems to really enjoy his job.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM

Purplelove08,

Do you know if he would recommend someone try to find a job in Student Affairs first, or do a Masters Program? I think this is what I'm suppose to do, but cant find a job in the field. I'm attending the program for the internship to get experience.

What area of student affairs is he in?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,748,591 times
Quote:
I have 35,000 in students loans with an combination of subsidized and unsubsidized loans. I had a part-time job, but now I'm currently unemployed. I'm in my second semester of Graduate School, which I took a 10,000 unsubsidized loan out.

I'm considering maybe I should withdraw from the program after this semester. The reason I went was I couldn't find a job with my undergraduate degree and it really wasn't what I wanted to do.The Graduate program is in something I'm passionate about, but, the starting pay is around 28,000-30,000. The reason I went is you would get a internship at the end of the program. But now, I don't know because I got this amount of loans with no job.

I really want to pay this debt; but without a job I can't. I think maybe a career degree might help in the job area. But I would still have to take out loans to do a healthcare program like nursing or vocational degree.

If I continued in the graduate program I would have to take out another 10,000 unsubsidized loan,
Do you all think I should withdraw? Take a vocational course?

Thanks
If I were you, I would finish the program you are in. You say yourself that you are passionate about it. Do you know how LUCKY you are to pursue something with passion? So many just trudge forward hoping they won't hate what they do without any prospects of loving it.

Now, if you decide to take a different route, please research thoroughly what it will take to head into a career program instead. Thoroughly investigate what pre-reqs you will need, what other courses, and calculate how much money it will cost you to head down a different path before you change directions. JUst make sure it is truly less expensive AND a whole lot better in the job prospect area before you change pathways. I think it's best, when possible, to finish what you started.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Purplelove08,

Do you know if he would recommend someone try to find a job in Student Affairs first, or do a Masters Program? I think this is what I'm suppose to do, but cant find a job in the field. I'm attending the program for the internship to get experience.

What area of student affairs is he in?

Thanks!
He is an academic advisor-helps students decide on a major, makes sure they're meeting requirements for graduation, etc. I'm not sure if he would recommend find a job and then do a Masters. It's not something I ever asked him. Sorry. I would try to find a job without a Masters and after a year's time, I'd approach my boss and ask them if they think a Masters would help me advance in the field.

I've seen a few academic advising jobs that require a Bachelor's.

If you want to go the route of finding a job and then obtain a Masters, try to apply to schools that offer a tuition discount for employees and also have a Masters program in Higher Education Administration or Student Affairs. If the particular school you're looking at doesn't have that program but has a sister campus [I'm thinking of state university systems-University of x at y and University of x at b, etc.] that offers the program, that MAY be an option. I know that some universities offer a tuition discount system wide-so even if you work at a certain campus, you can go to a different one and still receive a discount.

I am sorry you are finding yourself in the old catch-22: You need experience but no one will give you experience. One tip I've heard when in this situation is to volunteer. I know this doesn't work for every field but it might work. Maybe you can volunteer with an organization that tries to help low-income college students get into college.

Best of luck! I hope this helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities