Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 02:46 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,528 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working on starting my own business. The direction I am looking to go in with this business means that I'll definitely need to become more "tech-savvy" and acquire some skills that I'm currently lacking. I know this, because in the 1.5 year since I have worked(I am a SAHM) I've noticed that in my field of work, these "skills" which use to not be an important prerequisite to getting a job are now very important and unfortunately I don't have them(and never did). I need to take some basic and advanced web design courses, programming courses. I also need to hone my writing skills and I think taken one or two writing courses will help with that as well. This is my dilemma. I personally have always had a bias toward community college. I was told early on that community college did not give one the same type of education as did a regular university. Also that the curriculum was only a step above high school. I know that community colleges don't hold the same "allure" as does going to a bigger university that most people are familiar with. But I already have a bachelors degree. I see no point in getting a masters at this point in time(from a cost perspective and also because I don't have a specific discipline--I just need to take some honing up and refresher courses). So I'm wondering if I should find out if it's possible for me to take these courses at a local university, or if taking at the community college would be the same effect just less costly.
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I'm currently working on starting my own business. The direction I am looking to go in with this business means that I'll definitely need to become more "tech-savvy" and acquire some skills that I'm currently lacking. I know this, because in the 1.5 year since I have worked(I am a SAHM) I've noticed that in my field of work, these "skills" which use to not be an important prerequisite to getting a job are now very important and unfortunately I don't have them(and never did). I need to take some basic and advanced web design courses, programming courses. I also need to hone my writing skills and I think taken one or two writing courses will help with that as well. This is my dilemma. I personally have always had a bias toward community college. I was told early on that community college did not give one the same type of education as did a regular university. Also that the curriculum was only a step above high school. I know that community colleges don't hold the same "allure" as does going to a bigger university that most people are familiar with. But I already have a bachelors degree. I see no point in getting a masters at this point in time(from a cost perspective and also because I don't have a specific discipline--I just need to take some honing up and refresher courses). So I'm wondering if I should find out if it's possible for me to take these courses at a local university, or if taking at the community college would be the same effect just less costly.
Any thoughts?
Regarding taking basic and advanced web design courses, and programming courses at a community college, I think it will all depend on the particular community college. Could you sit in on a class and see if it seems like it will be beneficial? Worst case is you have spent $400-500 for each class and you need to go somewhere else that will give you the specific training you need.

Regarding taking one or two writing courses to hone your writing skills, I'm a bit more skeptical. Unless you find a particular instructor who is willing to work with you, the academic level of the class is probably not going to do much to improve your writing skills. I took three on-line CC classes in the process of going back to school to get my teaching certificate. Based on the writing level of many of the students in on line discussion boards for each class, most were incapable of writing a grammatically correct sentence.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Regarding taking basic and advanced web design courses, and programming courses at a community college, I think it will all depend on the particular community college. Could you sit in on a class and see if it seems like it will be beneficial? Worst case is you have spent $400-500 for each class and you need to go somewhere else that will give you the specific training you need.

Regarding taking one or two writing courses to hone your writing skills, I'm a bit more skeptical. Unless you find a particular instructor who is willing to work with you, the academic level of the class is probably not going to do much to improve your writing skills. I took three on-line CC classes in the process of going back to school to get my teaching certificate. Based on the writing level of many of the students in on line discussion boards for each class, most were incapable of writing a grammatically correct sentence.
Thank you for the response. In regards to sitting in on the class-I'm not sure if that is an option. I can certainly find out(which I will this week). I know CC seems to attract a certain type of student, and I realize that the education may be substandard, which is why I posted this. I read on job forums stories of unemployed people that refresh their skills by taking courses or going to seminars so that they are are able to compete in the job-market and become employable again. I'm not sure how a person is able to do this if he/she takes classes at a university where the price is triple the cost of a CC. I know that there are those who have the money to spare, but for those of us that are lacking $10,000 what are options? LOL.

And when I say hone my writing skills I'm referring to learning different styles(technical, persuasive, story-telling, etc). I'd be interested in taking a basic journalism story-telling course, a technical writing course, and a digital(blogging) course. I think these classes would be extremely beneficial for the business I would like to start.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:44 PM

484 posts, read 970,892 times
I think that for many lower level classes, you can get out almost as much from a CC class. You likely won't have as many motivated students around you and all that comes with that, you won't have instructors (generally) that can go on and on in depth about a single question that you might have (less expertise), but if you are focused you can learn the material.

I suggest start out taking some classes at the CC and then reevaluate.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,689,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
I think that for many lower level classes, you can get out almost as much from a CC class. You likely won't have as many motivated students around you and all that comes with that, you won't have instructors (generally) that can go on and on in depth about a single question that you might have (less expertise), but if you are focused you can learn the material.

I suggest start out taking some classes at the CC and then reevaluate.
My experience is that many CC instructors are the same people teaching as adjunct instructors at major universities. It is difficult to find college teaching jobs and many very qualified people are teaching CC classes.

I think you have the opportunity to find good classes in technology fields like web design, computer networking, etc. Many of these students have some experience in the field and are looking to get specific experience. I don't believe the same is true for the journalism field.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,561,839 times
As with any collegel level course - you get out what you put in.

I took accounting as a refresher at a CC, because it had been a few years since I'd had the first level course, and I was going to be taking the 2nd level course (MBA degree not an accounting specialty)..

I signed up at a local CC as a non-traditional (non-certificate seeking) student. As I already had a BS, yes, I was different than the normal CC student.

My instructor was fantastic. He was an accountant, and had taught basic level accounting for about 20 years.

The kids in my class - well - they were not excited to be there. But no different than in a general ed class at a normal university where the majority are there because they HAVE to be.

But, I had a blast. The prof and I basically were on our own wavelength and I got a lot out of the class. Great refresher, actually learned some things not covered in my original class a few years earlier - and went on to make the Acct. II class for my MBA a piece of cake.

Would I got to a CC for a PHD level class in molecular genetics? No.

Would I go there for basic - mid level courses in a number of fields (writing and web programming included) - you bet.

In fact, I am looking at taking a "fiction writing" class this fall at the same CC I attended for the accounting class. Just for fun.

And I agree with one of the previous posters - even at the university I got my BS and MBA from, a lot of the part-time professors there also taught at local community colleges to make ends meet. Universities are not tenuring like they used to and a lot of high caliber professors teach at multiple institutions (including CCs) to supplement their income.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
As with any collegel level course - you get out what you put in.

I took accounting as a refresher at a CC, because it had been a few years since I'd had the first level course, and I was going to be taking the 2nd level course (MBA degree not an accounting specialty)..

I signed up at a local CC as a non-traditional (non-certificate seeking) student. As I already had a BS, yes, I was different than the normal CC student.

My instructor was fantastic. He was an accountant, and had taught basic level accounting for about 20 years.

The kids in my class - well - they were not excited to be there. But no different than in a general ed class at a normal university where the majority are there because they HAVE to be.

But, I had a blast. The prof and I basically were on our own wavelength and I got a lot out of the class. Great refresher, actually learned some things not covered in my original class a few years earlier - and went on to make the Acct. II class for my MBA a piece of cake.

Would I got to a CC for a PHD level class in molecular genetics? No.

Would I go there for basic - mid level courses in a number of fields (writing and web programming included) - you bet.

In fact, I am looking at taking a "fiction writing" class this fall at the same CC I attended for the accounting class. Just for fun.

And I agree with one of the previous posters - even at the university I got my BS and MBA from, a lot of the part-time professors there also taught at local community colleges to make ends meet. Universities are not tenuring like they used to and a lot of high caliber professors teach at multiple institutions (including CCs) to supplement their income.
Thank you! I'm going to go ahead and enroll in a few courses at the community college in my state. I think for the type of classes I'm looking for(creative writing, digital story-telling, web design & programming) that a CC should cover the basics and essentials. I'm not looking for drastic in depth classes, just enough to get the basics down. I haven't worked in almost 2 years, so I'm not as savvy as I used to be, and my writing needs a bit of work as well(when I was in college I was a very good writer, but don't feel as confident since I haven't professionally written in a work format or academic format in a long time).

I'll most likely go to graduate school in a couple of years anyway, but right now I just need to touch on my skills and I think a CC is good enough for me.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Thank you! I'm going to go ahead and enroll in a few courses at the community college in my state. I think for the type of classes I'm looking for(creative writing, digital story-telling, web design & programming) that a CC should cover the basics and essentials. I'm not looking for drastic in depth classes, just enough to get the basics down. I haven't worked in almost 2 years, so I'm not as savvy as I used to be, and my writing needs a bit of work as well(when I was in college I was a very good writer, but don't feel as confident since I haven't professionally written in a work format or academic format in a long time).

I'll most likely go to graduate school in a couple of years anyway, but right now I just need to touch on my skills and I think a CC is good enough for me.
If you have any plans to transfer these courses to a four year school, check in advance to see if they are transferrable. The University of CO has a list of CC courses they will accept. Noticeable by their absence are vocational type courses, remedial courses, etc. Now if you already have a degree (which it sounds like) and you're wanting to brush up, that's a different story. However, if you're thinking of grad school, and you'll need these courses to get into grad school in your field, make sure, again, that they're transferrable or they won't "count" as having been taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities