Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 PM

382 posts, read 1,921,296 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Is it possible to enroll into Master's of Criminal Justice if I have Bachelor's that is not in Criminal Justice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
In general, yes. Why do you want a garduate degree in CJ? That is the question.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
I have a BA in English and an MS in Criminology.

Both are completely useless degrees and I have nothing to show for them except debt. Avoid social science degrees like the plague, they contribute nothing worthwhile to society. Get a degree in a hard science or mathematics.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM

158 posts, read 239,118 times
wow, sorry to hear that buck eye, why did u decide to major in those fields. Did you want to teach at one time?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,632,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post

Both are completely useless degrees and I have nothing to show for them except debt. Avoid social science degrees like the plague, they contribute nothing worthwhile to society. Get a degree in a hard science or mathematics.
They are useless if you choose to not use them for the right purposes. For police, corrections, probation, parole, etc. they would not be useless.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
Hello!

Is it possible to enroll into Master's of Criminal Justice if I have Bachelor's that is not in Criminal Justice?

Thanks!
Yes of course. You dont need a degree in anything you want to go to grad school for.

Anyway dont do it. The most useless degree out there! Looking into going into law enforcement? No agency in the world could care less if you have a CJ degree or MA. Get it in something else as a back up plan. A science, language, accounting etc.. Those are things Law Enforcement agencies like to see.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:41 AM

382 posts, read 1,921,296 times
Language sounds good as I am already fluent in 4 )))

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
Interesting posts. Everything is relative. Degrees typically propel you through the related field. To say one degree is useless over another is not something I would agree with.

It's obvious my interpretation of intellectual honesty may differ than others.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post

That may be true for you, but it does not hold for everyone.

Each person should decide what is worthless for them. For me, a degree in mathematics would be pointless, because I have no interest in a career in science or engineering.

A Master's in criminal justice would open up doors in promoting within the field of corrections, if that is what a person wants. As a correctional officer, I found that very few people had Bachelor's and even fewer have Master's degrees. Believe me, there are positions that are attainable only with a degree.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
wow, sorry to hear that buck eye, why did u decide to major in those fields. Did you want to teach at one time?
My English degree had an emphasis in journalism. Stupid me wanted to be a writer of some sort, but the best I could do was covering Division 13 Orange County football part time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
That may be true for you, but it does not hold for everyone.

Each person should decide what is worthless for them. For me, a degree in mathematics would be pointless, because I have no interest in a career in science or engineering.

A Master's in criminal justice would open up doors in promoting within the field of corrections, if that is what a person wants. As a correctional officer, I found that very few people had Bachelor's and even fewer have Master's degrees. Believe me, there are positions that are attainable only with a degree.
Where? I wrote my masters thesis on offender reentry and reintegration and spent a lot of time investigating cases of wrongful convictions, but Arizona's job market sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities