Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,533,682 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for opinions on for-profit tech schools like DeVry, Heald, Univ of Phoenix. All I know is that they are rather expensive, like over $300 per unit.

Who generally goes to these schools? Not poorer people, because they are expensive. Richer people usually go to a public/private university, if they want to be in computers or accounting.

I knew one programmer who went to Heald and he seemed to be okay.

I have a Computer Science degree from 1993 and no job experience except for scattered Word/Excel stuff and very basic technical writing, which is not very helpful during interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
For profit schools generally target those who didn't get good enough grades or test scores to get in 4 yr colleges.

CS degree in 1993? Graduated in a recession, like I did! But IT was so hot in 1998 to 2000 with Y2K and dot.com companies. I can't believe you went through that and never got CS work! Did you go to a crappy college for your CS degree?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I'm looking for opinions on for-profit tech schools like DeVry, Heald, Univ of Phoenix. All I know is that they are rather expensive, like over $300 per unit.

Who generally goes to these schools? Not poorer people, because they are expensive. Richer people usually go to a public/private university, if they want to be in computers or accounting.

I knew one programmer who went to Heald and he seemed to be okay.

I have a Computer Science degree from 1993 and no job experience except for scattered Word/Excel stuff and very basic technical writing, which is not very helpful during interviews.
Yes, poorer and the not very bright, as well as people who don't want to, or can't complete the basic general education classes at a community college.

The students take out huge loans, and are sold a pipe-dream by the advisors.

If you have a CS degree, even listing one of those schools on your resume would be a huge step backward. Why not just get some certifications?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Here we go again...

Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
If you have a CS degree, even listing one of those schools on your resume would be a huge step backward. Why not just get some certifications?
Do you mean like A+ ?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 AM

208 posts, read 819,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Here we go again...
I know, this topic always pops up over and over, but we might as well talk about it, that's the point of the forum

For-profit schools generally target a demographic that usually work non-skilled jobs, those people want to change and they fall for the commercials that the schools advertise. Most of the commercials show someone hating their job, working something menial, and then miraculously earning a degree in half the time that it would normally take, and now they can buy a car, a home, pay their bills...etc.

The schools are very expensive, but that's what the lovely government is for. We the tax payers are funding outrageous student loans that are consistently being defaulted on because too much emphasis is placed on a degree. Too many people think that a degree alone will lead you to a great career and financial success, and the for-profit schools (heck, most schools) want you to believe that you can only succeed if you have a degree.

Having said all that, I am not against a degree or education, I have a B.S. degree, but I was already working in the IT field before the degree, my main reason for my degree is because a lot of companies require a degree for a management position, so I decided to earn the degree. Now there are always exceptions, I have friends and former co-workers that went to these schools for the convenience of a fast degree, mainly because they just needed a degree to move up with the current employer, but I think the majority of people at these schools probably aren't in the latter category.

Also, when these schools were first established they were more convenient for working adults because of their online aspect, but that has changed dramatically.

If you are thinking about going to a for-profit out of convenience, please look around at other schools. A lot of schools offer online courses at far less the cost.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
For profit actually target low income individuals knowing they can get them to take out loans.

Couple threads.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ee-profit.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...vs-public.html

Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Do you mean like A+ ?
A+, Cisco, or some database cert. It depends what you want to do, but it would be better than a for-profit college.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:51 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Let's keep THIS discussion focused on tech careers, such as IT, since that is what the OP is asking about and not go to the broad profit vs. non-profit colleges.

I have a cousin that does freelance IT work and he advised my son to really get his microsoft certifications Certification Courses | Certification Training | Microsoft Certification and said that would be some of the most valuable things on his resume. I know our local community colleges have stand alone classes to teach some of that information. I found one that is offered on-line! Course Details This is a brick and mortar community college.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
A+, Cisco, or some database cert. It depends what you want to do, but it would be better than a for-profit college.
Do you know anyone who got the A+ and thought it helped?
I looked it up and the textbook costs more than $70 and the test costs about $130.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities