Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:12 PM

35 posts, read 106,158 times

Advertisements

I need some help figuring out which program to enroll in to become a LMHC - Licensed Mental Health Counselor. I currently live in CA and my husband and I are thinking of moving to NY or NJ in three years when my son graduates HS. We want to eventually start a private practice so I need to be sure I enroll in the right program so I am eligible. I would love any help on NYC, Northern NJ, or CA schools that are accredited...I am so confused by the CACREP and the NYS Dept of Ed regulations..Schools that are listed on the NYS Dept of Ed site are not on the CACREP...And I am not sure which is more important...I assume the NYS Dept of Ed because they are the site on the licensure page...But I want to be sure if I am putting out the money that I am going to be able to get the license without a hassle.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,407,327 times
Don't do it. Do Social Work instead. That way you can get third party payment from Tri-Care, and Medicaid/Medicare. LPC is still not recognized very much, Social Work is better.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:06 PM

188 posts, read 377,129 times
Not true...LPCs are getting more acceptance on the Federal side. Check out counseling.org

Old 05-21-2011, 11:25 AM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
I am originally from NY State and I have a close friend who is a Mental Health Counselor. She wishes that she had become a Social Worker instead for a number of reasons. NY is a highly regulated and old school state. Licensed Mental Health Counselors are new to NYS, and people and institutions are just figuring out what they are and what to do with them.
Insurance companies vary, but Licensed Social Workers are widely accepted. There is more acceptance of Social Workers than of MHCs.

Because NY is bureaucratic, and change takes a long time, it will be quite a while until the concept of Professional Mental Health Counselors is accepted by the public. NY and California are similar in many ways but acceptance of anything new in regard to education is not one of them.
In NY stick to the tried and true.

By the way, my friend is now perusing a PsyD.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,407,327 times
Sure, check out counseling.org page, then go to opm.gov and seach jobs for counselors, you get maybe 10. Search jobs for social workers, you pull up 10 pages of job listings. The VA will hire social workers who are not LCSW, and will give you two years to get that credential, however, they will ONLY hire LPC's, not CPC-I. A big difference if you ask me.
If at all.

And don't do school counseling, that will nail you to the school system.

Best bet, phd in psychology, or MSW.

There are so many instances that the counseling profession is bashed compared with social work, it is frustrating. For example, to be certified by DOT as an SAP, they won't even accept anyone who is an LPC yet they accept MSW.

Same to be a licensed substance abuse counslor, in many states an MSW is accepted to get the credential, but an LPC is not given the same reciprocity.

Look at these things carefully before you make a choice.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:22 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,325,783 times
Your best bet under a PhD level is still an MSW with a nationally recognized LCSW(Licensed Clinical Social Worker). Most eastern states will take an LCSW any time. In some places you can become a licensed clinical psychologist or licensed psychologist, but most of those programs require a PhD or PsyD.

But to work in a school setting you will still need an internship in school counseling, even though in many places districts have cut their counselors so much that mostly what they do even at elementary is handle special ed, and testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities