Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 03:58 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

You say I have comprehension problems yet you are showing you have those problems as well. I never said a particular year. I said the 1990s. Meaning any year of the 90s would do. Start following closely now. You seem to have a disdain for a program that doesn't care much about yours. I would be trying to move out of Austin to get away from this Good Ol'Boy program, whatever the heck that means.

I do agree that Colin Cowherd is a (edit). I also would have the same opinion on Fat Whitlock as he isn't a journalist. He just feeds off fluff controversial topics to get hits on second rate blogs striving for attention. I don't care for ESPN but I'll take their word over somebody on FSN. Why won't he comment to ESPN anyway? I think we know the reason.

And who cares if recruitocosm had some minor role on talking about Will Lyles. Fact is, Yahoo investigated and reported most of the damage, not recruitocosm. Also, what did Texas do in regards with the Pac 10? I do remember that the Pac 10 commissioner said that the deal was nearly done if A&M didn't back out and want to go to the SEC. I do remember the Pac 10 commissioner saying that Texas wanting a network of it's own was not the reason the Pac 10 expansion talks disintegrated.

Quote:
And no one stated that Oregon is at the level of UT when it comes to recruiting classes, so check your comprehension.
It is you who needs to check it's comprehension once again. I never said Oregon is at the level of UT when it comes to recruiting classes. I said UT is bringing in a top class once again starting with getting the top recruits out of Texas so far for 2012. Never even mentioned any level of Oregon's recruiting. You do a great job of assuming. Yes, Texas has had a bad run in recruiting backs and having a system that excels for backs. This is a program known for having great backs. Texas missed on Christine Michaels by promising Whaley he's the only back that year. Hopefully that has changed as Texas has recruited the two best backs to the program (last year with Brown and this year with Gray) it has seen since Jamal Charles and we have an improving coaching staff (hopefully).

Quote:
Now, again, this time slowly...Oregon is not a threat as of now. We will get a few kids from Texas and continue to get more if things continue the way we expect them. We will never top UT in recruiting. But, if we continue to reach BCS bowls (and win some darn it), UT will continue to whine about things. Because, let's face, poor ol' lil' UT doesn't deserve to go 5-7 and get thumped by big bad UCLA.
You are not a threat now and will hardly be one in the future. You can take some recruits, even four star recruits in Texas. But Texas and the teams in the region will have first dibs on most of them in this region first, period. Texas had it's worse season since going 4-7 in 1997 and all of a sudden, the wheels are coming off the program forever. Please. Your arrogance is not any different than what many accuse Texas fans as having. Texas has won an NC, been to multiple BCS bowls and won them, and has had many successful seasons. Had a bad year and still going strong in recruiting again.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-20-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You say I have comprehension problems yet you are showing you have those problems as well. I never said a particular year. I said the 1990s. Meaning any year of the 90s would do. Start following closely now. You seem to have a disdain for a program that doesn't care much about yours. I would be trying to move out of Austin to get away from this Good Ol'Boy program, whatever the heck that means.

I do agree that Colin Cowherd is a D-bag. I also would have the same opinion on Fat Whitlock as he isn't a journalist. He just feeds off fluff controversial topics to get hits on second rate blogs striving for attention. I don't care for ESPN but I'll take their word over somebody on FSN. Why won't he comment to ESPN anyway? I think we know the reason.

And who cares if recruitocosm had some minor role on talking about Will Lyles. Fact is, Yahoo investigated and reported most of the damage, not recruitocosm. Also, what did Texas do in regards with the Pac 10? I do remember that the Pac 10 commissioner said that the deal was nearly done if A&M didn't back out and want to go to the SEC. I do remember the Pac 10 commissioner saying that Texas wanting a network of it's own was not the reason the Pac 10 expansion talks disintegrated.

It is you who needs to check it's comprehension once again. I never said Oregon is at the level of UT when it comes to recruiting classes. I said UT is bringing in a top class once again starting with getting the top recruits out of Texas so far for 2012. Never even mentioned any level of Oregon's recruiting. You do a great job of assuming. Yes, Texas has had a bad run in recruiting backs and having a system that excels for backs. This is a program known for having great backs. Texas missed on Christine Michaels by promising Whaley he's the only back that year. Hopefully that has changed as Texas has recruited the two best backs to the program (last year with Brown and this year with Gray) it has seen since Jamal Charles and we have an improving coaching staff (hopefully).

You are not a threat now and will hardly be one in the future. You can take some recruits, even four star recruits in Texas. But Texas and the teams in the region will have first dibs on most of them in this region first, period. Texas had it's worse season since going 4-7 in 1997 and all of a sudden, the wheels are coming off the program forever. Please. Your arrogance is not any different than what many accuse Texas fans as having. Texas has won an NC, been to multiple BCS bowls and won them, and has had many successful seasons. Had a bad year and still going strong in recruiting again.

I actually don't give a rat's a** about UT. To me they are just a college here in Austin that my wife graduated from. Not all that impressed by them and never really have been. Sure, they have had some success, better have some success with the amount of talent in this large state. But they have had some down years as well.

As far as attempting to explain how UT has used some back-room strong-arm tactics in the Pac-16 situation, I'm not even going to try and explain it. If you really don't understand what that Good Ol' Boy means, it would really be a waste of time. I realize what Scott may have said it once, but Scott had already lined up Kansas to take A&M spot. Kansas would have brought basketball tradition and yet another, albeit small, TV market into the conference. So, they were not even that concerned about the Ags leaving. In fact, UT tried to play hard ball and get an unequal conference revenue, as well as their own TV deal- which was never really going to happen. They had agreed for months on both the equal revenue and the the TV rights. When UT came in at the 11th hour and pull the whole unequal revenue garbage, Scott and the rest of the Pac-10 told them to take a hike. Stanford, Cal, USC, and UCLA had a ton of say (and most of the Pac-10 power) and were not interested to toy around with a school who they felt were beneath them academically. Scott had VERY strict orders, especially from Stanford and Cal.

So, I would say 99% of the Pac-10 believe it was UT trying that strong-arm, good ol' boy s***, and the Pac-10 power denied them. Of course, UT fans believe otherwise. However, other than Oklahoma and A&M, I know the other schools feel a bit slighted especially when both UT and the Pac-12 signed mega TV deals. I have a ton of Big-12 friends here and they have said the same thing about the way UT's tactics. But, UT got exactly what it wanted...a heck of a TV deal and 8-9 lil' Ommpah Loompahs who will continue to feed off UT's scraps.

You're right now that I think about it. We will never be a big threat to UT. Oregon's recruiting strategy is nationwide now (we don't have a ton to pull from up in the PNW). So, although we will have a pipeline into Texas, we'll pull from across the nation and not concentrate on Texas enough.

Gray is awesome. Saw him in person against La Marque and the guy is unreal. Brown is crazy too. I went and saw him against Tivy (to see Manziel who committed to Oregon, then decommitted) and he went ape-s** and ran for a million yards. But, we'll see what he does. UT's line was rough around the edges last year.

We're building a nice future and if things pan out with DeAnthony Thomas and Lache Seastrunk (who is still a year away in my opinion) we should be golden at back for awhile. We are also in on a young back here in Oregon, Thomas Tyner, who runs a 10.35...as a sophmore! The kid would smoke James and would have come in 3rd at the Pac-10 Track Championships. We hope that will translate onto the football field.

I guess we will see what all pans out in the next few years. And the 1995 was sarcasm! Shoot, it may be even 2001.

Peace Longhorn

Last edited by Acuda; 05-20-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 06:32 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Now, again, this time slowly...Oregon is not a threat as of now. We will get a few kids from Texas and continue to get more if things continue the way we expect them. We will never top UT in recruiting. But, if we continue to reach BCS bowls (and win some darn it), UT will continue to whine about things. Because, let's face, poor ol' lil' UT doesn't deserve to go 5-7 and get thumped by big bad UCLA.
I love how UT has one bad year in the last 10 and everyone assumes we suck. What a riot.

Don't forget everyone we are only 1 year removed from the NC game...
Before that we had nine 10 win seasons...
We are coming back this year with tons of 5 star recruits...

Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I love how UT has one bad year in the last 10 and everyone assumes we suck. What a riot.

Don't forget everyone we are only 1 year removed from the NC game...
Before that we had nine 10 win seasons...
We are coming back this year with tons of 5 star recruits...
You have a ton of 5 stars every year though.

But, you should be improved this year. Watch out for UCLA.

Last edited by Acuda; 05-20-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football