Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 AM

36 posts, read 16,788 times

Advertisements

I have been around. the uf homer is still here, and I am going to enjoy the gators hanging half a hundred on the sooner "defense."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Yep, me too, the Sooners are doomed I tell ya!!

Welcome to the board!!

Where you been J?

I was kind of wondering what happened to the resident uf homer. You dropped off the map right before the CCG.

Congrats to tOSU!! Great game!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,293,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Utah did a great job against Alabama. But I feel Alabama was always overranked/overrated. Utah played 2 ranked teams all seaon long and not one in the top 10 (until their bowl game). This explains its lack of viewership (you can't vote if you don't watch the team) and why it wasn't considered for the natl championship. It may or may not be fair.

Maybe if these teams shore up their schedules, then they can showcase their talent.
Im just comparing what they did to teams Florida and USC played. If you look it's hard to argue Utah out played both schools in those two games.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Im just comparing what they did to teams Florida and USC played. If you look it's hard to argue Utah out played both schools in those two games.
No one is saying Utah's not good! They looked amazing vs Alabama. But if they want natl recognition, they are going to have to shore up the rest of the pansy schedule. Not only that, but if you're playing teams like UNLV or Air Force for the majority of your games, maybe you're less tired, less likely to suffer injury, etc.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,293,958 times
Quote:
No one is saying Utah's not good! They looked amazing vs Alabama. But if they want natl recognition, they are going to have to shore up the rest of the pansy schedule. Not only that, but if you're playing teams like UNLV or Air Force for the majority of your games, maybe you're less tired, less likely to suffer injury, etc.

But they had a tougher schedule than USC, Bama and a few spots behind Penn St.

Will they be #1? No, but they have done alot.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,636,056 times
Quote:
When they scheduled an away game against Michigan, they did not know that Michigan would suck. Its hard to blame that on Utah, they were trying to get a tougher schedule, and they have beaten 4 teams that will finish the season ranked. Florida has so far only beaten 2 that will finish ranked.

Utah has a very legitimate argument to be number 1. If Alabama is overrated, why didn't Florida blow them off the field? Utah completely controlled Alabama, Florida did not. The 2 teams vs. Alabama is the best comparison that can be made since we don't have playoffs.

I am thinking if OU manages to just barely beat Florida, we will possibly see a split national championship. If the national championship is lopsided, we won't but Utah will deservingly receive some votes.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
The guys who get to vote on this stuff admitted they didn't rank Utah higher b/c they never really saw them play. I don't know if that's b/c they're not well-known nationally or if because none of their games was an 'exciting showdown' like we saw other teams in the top 10 play this year.

I agree that all we have to go on is how both teams (Florida/Utah) handled Alabama. The only problem with this is Alabama may have been more psyched up to play Florida and (very mistakenly!) blew Utah off. Even the 'experts' had Alabama slated to win like it was some joke.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 AM

36 posts, read 16,788 times
florida has beaten 2 that will finished ranked? alabama, georgia, and florida state will be in the top 25 final poll. lsu also has a shot at cracking the top 25 after their destruction of the number 13 team in the country. I am pretty score of the florida vs. alabama was 31-20. the score of the utah vs. alabama game was 31-17. how is one a blowout, and the other one not? that's a bit confusing. also, florida beat alabama without their best player. utah beat alabama when alabama didn't have their best player. call it an excuse, but I call it a fact. alabama allowed 11 sacks all year. in the utah, without the best offensive lineman in the country, they gave up 8. I highly doubt utah's defense is that good. I think that if florida was to play utah, the third stringers for the gators would be in by the second quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
When they scheduled an away game against Michigan, they did not know that Michigan would suck. Its hard to blame that on Utah, they were trying to get a tougher schedule, and they have beaten 4 teams that will finish the season ranked. Florida has so far only beaten 2 that will finish ranked.

Utah has a very legitimate argument to be number 1. If Alabama is overrated, why didn't Florida blow them off the field? Utah completely controlled Alabama, Florida did not. The 2 teams vs. Alabama is the best comparison that can be made since we don't have playoffs.

I am thinking if OU manages to just barely beat Florida, we will possibly see a split national championship. If the national championship is lopsided, we won't but Utah will deservingly receive some votes.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,612,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise76 View Post
I have been around. the uf homer is still here, and I am going to enjoy the gators hanging half a hundred on the sooner "defense."
Ha Ha Ha!!! I love it!!

As long as we hang half a hundred +1, I won't be complaining.
I'm sure you know where "hang half a hundred on them by halftime" originated.

By the end of the first quarter I think uf and all of their fans aren't going to know what hit them.

1-8-09 OU Gets #8.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-06-2009 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,618,430 times
Did they play a tougher schedule? or did they play against teams with better records? There is a big difference, the BCS formula just doens't see it.

I kinda thought Texas was getting the short end of the stick because they beat Oklahoma head to head. But after last night's game, they aren't good enought to be national champions. I am not sure if Oklahoma is either. I still think right now at this point in time Florida and USC are the two best teams in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
But they had a tougher schedule than USC, Bama and a few spots behind Penn St.

Will they be #1? No, but they have done alot.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,618,430 times
This is USC argument every year, USC in it's 3 non conf. games played Ohio State, Notre Dame and Virginia. 2 of those programs are of the top ten in the history of college football!!! And Virginia is not some Div ll slouch like some of the east coast "powers" play every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football