Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:19 PM

5,551 posts, read 9,593,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Very disappointing. If Paterno or anyone else knew about children being harmed and did nothing, that would make them complicit in the crime.

Same with Baylor. When people know about crime and do not come forward -- or if truth has been revealed and denial continues, it makes matters worse for the victims.

However, some are quick to blame Christians for what ever they can in order to justify their own hatred of Christianity. If there are those at Baylor (or anywhere) who claim to be Christian, and still look the other way, then only the declared Christianity of those people would be in question. True Christians would not participate in such activity.
To the bold, I cannot agree more.

I've been implying it tongue & cheek for some time, but many Southern Baptists in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas don't even consider the overarching institution of the Fighting Baptists of Baylor as a "real" or "true" Christian entity because of the institution's low and liberal view of the Bible. It's a very loosy-goosy Christianity at best, which many Evangelicals would consider not true Christianity at all.

Look at the professorship of the their religious school and that will tell you a lot. I don't even know how aligned Baylor is with the Southern Baptist convention of Texas. There's two Baptist conventions now in Texas, and I'm not sure that even the moderate-liberal Baptist convention is too high on Baylor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 05:10 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,289,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rds/?tid=sm_tw

Oh my god. Disgusting. I can't believe the NCAA did not give Penn State the death penalty, and i can't believe they repealed the sanctions on Penn State.

This here, Mod cut- delete)

I feel bad for the Penn State fans who know what happened was screwed up.

Anyone who tries to defend Paterno after this is scum of the earth and you oughta be ashamed of yourself.
Most of the incidents/alleged incidents (which mostly occurred in the late 1980s, though the one involving Paterno occurred in 1976) that were detailed in the most recent announcement weren't reported to authorities until 2014. Had they been reported back in 2011/2012, I don't think there's any doubt Penn State football would have received the death penalty for a multi-year period.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,598,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Something has happened to the core moral values of certain football fans who are more concerned about the game than innocent victims. Saw LOTS of that on the long running Sandusky scandal thread and equally repugnant insane behavior on the Baylor board. It's especially worse for the Bear fans because they are supposed to be Christian.

It's awful that the voices of reason & truth get shouted down by the deniers.
What does religion have to do with anything? Are non-religious people somehow less respectable than religious people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
However, some are quick to blame Christians for what ever they can in order to justify their own hatred of Christianity. If there are those at Baylor (or anywhere) who claim to be Christian, and still look the other way, then only the declared Christianity of those people would be in question. True Christians would not participate in such activity.
This. So much this. Its ridiculous how a school is held to higher standards because of a book that was written by people 2,000 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
'You're gonna apologize' to Jerry Sandusky, alleged sex abuse victim told after reporting assault | PennLive.com

What a depressing and infuriating offseason this has been. First, we learned that Baylor had a team full of rapists that Art Briles was protecting, and now this is back.

Don't forget that Laremy Tunsil publicly admitted he took money from coaches.
A team full of rapists? Come on now SouthernTiger.. you can't honestly be serious with that nonsense.. There are around 100 people on a football team each year. Factoring in 1/4 of the team rotating in/out each year as they graduate and are replaced, you are talking about nearly 200 players over the period of time from when the TWO convicted rapists were on the team and their sentencing.. If 1 out of 100 players are convicted of rape means the "team is full of rapists", then you've got some pretty messed up comprehension issues, and/or need to sign up for an elementary level math course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
To the bold, I cannot agree more.

I've been implying it tongue & cheek for some time, but many Southern Baptists in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas don't even consider the overarching institution of the Fighting Baptists of Baylor as a "real" or "true" Christian entity because of the institution's low and liberal view of the Bible. It's a very loosy-goosy Christianity at best, which many Evangelicals would consider not true Christianity at all.

Look at the professorship of the their religious school and that will tell you a lot. I don't even know how aligned Baylor is with the Southern Baptist convention of Texas. There's two Baptist conventions now in Texas, and I'm not sure that even the moderate-liberal Baptist convention is too high on Baylor.
Not this again.. You've already stated your feelings on Mormonism not being a "real" religion, or believing in a "real" Jesus. Why does it matter what one believes in/how one aligns themselves? You can't honestly be ignorant enough to believe that "Southern Baptist"/Christianity is right while every other religions in the world is somehow wrong, can you?

Old 07-16-2016, 12:16 PM

5,551 posts, read 9,593,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
What does religion have to do with anything? Are non-religious people somehow less respectable than religious people?

This. So much this. Its ridiculous how a school is held to higher standards because of a book that was written by people 2,000 years ago.

A team full of rapists? Come on now SouthernTiger.. you can't honestly be serious with that nonsense.. There are around 100 people on a football team each year. Factoring in 1/4 of the team rotating in/out each year as they graduate and are replaced, you are talking about nearly 200 players over the period of time from when the TWO convicted rapists were on the team and their sentencing.. If 1 out of 100 players are convicted of rape means the "team is full of rapists", then you've got some pretty messed up comprehension issues, and/or need to sign up for an elementary level math course.

Not this again.. You've already stated your feelings on Mormonism not being a "real" religion, or believing in a "real" Jesus. Why does it matter what one believes in/how one aligns themselves? You can't honestly be ignorant enough to believe that "Southern Baptist"/Christianity is right while every other religions in the world is somehow wrong, can you?
You are generalizing far more than my comments imply:

"You can't honestly be ignorant enough to believe that "Southern Baptist"/Christianity is right while every other religions in the world is somehow wrong, can you?"

Nope, just the two groups I mentioned: Mormonism and Liberal Baptists (i.e. the professorship at Wacky Waco) with a low view of the Bible.

I understand that this is a football forum so we can take it over to the religion section if you want to continue the dialogue there. Cheers.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:27 AM

13,030 posts, read 13,564,621 times
Ain't a church goer myself, but the 10 Commandments are the best set of laws any human being can live by.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:38 PM

2,767 posts, read 1,602,664 times
So happy that Pitt beat Ped State.

The deniers and those who want to memorialise JoePed should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
So happy that Pitt beat Ped State.

The deniers and those who want to memorialise JoePed should be ashamed of themselves.
I thought the Pitt game might of been when Penn State was honoring Joe Paterno, but I see that is happening this weekend, versus Temple.

Penn State Nittany Lions to honor Joe Paterno on 50th anniversary of first game as head coach

Old 09-14-2016, 05:14 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,632,964 times
I am so sick of the Paterno defenders, I root for them to lose every game.

If you want to give him every benefit of the doubt by dismissing the Freeh Report, all the witness accounts and other damning evidence all we need to do is look at Joe's own Grand Jury testimony to draw a conclussion. In his testimony he made it clear that he turned the matter over to others and washed his hands of it, made no attempt to get to the bottom of exactly what happened and most importantly made no attempt to make sure it never happened again. Years after being told of the shower incident he was still allowing Sandusky to bring children to his practices.

For the guy who was the moral compass of the university this simply can not happen. He turned his back on those children and as a result many lives were altered forever. He will always be remembered for this as he should be.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:00 PM

13,030 posts, read 13,564,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am so sick of the Paterno defenders, I root for them to lose every game.

If you want to give him every benefit of the doubt by dismissing the Freeh Report, all the witness accounts and other damning evidence all we need to do is look at Joe's own Grand Jury testimony to draw a conclussion. In his testimony he made it clear that he turned the matter over to others and washed his hands of it, made no attempt to get to the bottom of exactly what happened and most importantly made no attempt to make sure it never happened again. Years after being told of the shower incident he was still allowing Sandusky to bring children to his practices.

For the guy who was the moral compass of the university this simply can not happen. He turned his back on those children and as a result many lives were altered forever. He will always be remembered for this as he should be.
You are correct. The Pedo State defenders of Paterno are on the same level as the Baylor idiots defending Art Briles in their rape cover up scandal.

Football has blinded them to real life.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You are correct. The Pedo State defenders of Paterno are on the same level as the Baylor idiots defending Art Briles in their rape cover up scandal.

Football has blinded them to real life.
You never miss an opportunity to try and slander Baylor, do you? As more articles continue to come out disproving the claims that Art Briles was the problem, it will be harder and harder for y'all to try and drag him through the mud. Now, if any Baylor students/alumni/fans were supporting the BOR, they would definitely be idiots. The BOR is a cesspool that continues to try and protect itself at the expense of others..
Anyways, back to the guy who was proven to have protected a child molester for decades, and the school who will be honoring him this weekend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football