Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,071,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've always thought there should be some type of "pension" or money set aside for college players after they graduate, enter the draft, or have their eligibility otherwise come to an end. There could be some type of fund that schools have to pay into annually with contributions based on some type of formula (maybe based on the total compensation of head coaches or ADs and the size of the institution). Former players would then receive a fixed amount annually (or a lump sum payment) according to the formula. You could even have a rule that all players--regardless of school--receive the same amount strictly based on the years of experience so that big, rich schools don't have an advantage over small, less rich schools.

I'd like to see this. But as a fund for either medical issues, or returning to school for an actual degree fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:52 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,697,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If they think it is a raw deal they don't have to play.

And I think most professors would get a good belly laugh that schools are about making money for them.
Wrong. First of all players have to be out of high school for at least three years to be eligible for the NFL draft. Second of all, the schools get to set the rules but they shouldn't be able to control what players do outside of the school. They should make a legal challenge to that.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,776,722 times
So i guess getting free tuition and room & board for 5 years playing college football just isn't enough money now?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:11 AM

32,177 posts, read 34,849,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So i guess getting free tuition and room & board for 5 years playing college football just isn't enough money now?
No, it's not. It seems to be a ripoff. You provide the labor and reap none of the profit. In the meantime, you put your future earnings at risk every time you step on the field. Marcus Lattimore is a good example of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywemwRy2PXM

I'm in favor of athletes skipping college all together (if that's what they want to do).

Old 01-08-2015, 05:46 PM

462 posts, read 429,280 times
Quote:
It ain't free.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:11 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,697,684 times
Quote:
Signing autographs has nothing to do with how much you get from the school. Doing commercials doesn't involve the school.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Wrong. First of all players have to be out of high school for at least three years to be eligible for the NFL draft. Second of all, the schools get to set the rules but they shouldn't be able to control what players do outside of the school. They should make a legal challenge to that.

Nothing you say here has any bearing on what I said or counters in in any way. If you don't like the rules, you don't have to play the game. It is a free choice.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Signing autographs has nothing to do with how much you get from the school. Doing commercials doesn't involve the school.

There are great reasons, which have been stated, why these things are not allowed. They were done in the past and it was full of abuse and were ways to pay players to come to particular schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football