Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:17 AM

17,824 posts, read 13,733,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Re-post...

Norman isn't a big city, but OKC... really isn't that much of a big city, either. But it's still enough and it would still be a new market for a conference that WILL be looking to expand sometime in the future.

Oklahoma football is a national/international brand.

The Oklahoma City/Norman market size is a small part of their appeal.

To give you an example.

OU vs Iowa State and Texas vs Texas Tech were both televised on Fox Sports 1 last Saturday.

So we have a non consequential game in Ames that was a blow out with two states with a total population of less than 8 million.

And we have a rivalry game between two large Texas state schools that was supposed to be competitive. The Texas/Tech game wasn't up against any other big game in Texas as A&M was playing ULM and the TCU vs WVU game was already when the Texas/Tech game started.

YET, the OU vs Iowa State game BEAT the Texas vs Texas Tech game in TV ratings in terms of the percent tuned in to any game and was very close in terms of total number of TVs tuned in.

When you compare the market sizes of the teams involved in this game, the Texas/Tech game should have dwarfed the OU vs ISU game.

0.5 763K 12:00 PM Oklahoma/Iowa State FS1
0.4 791K 7:30 PM Texas/Texas Tech FS1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 08:16 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,366,251 times
Maybe the fact that both Texas & Tech had losing records with that game being of no consequence at all and OU being ranked in the top 15 might have something to do with it?

Looks like Baylor at least looked at the Texas/OU game tape from October to see how to throttle the Sooner offense & roll over their defense.

Nice cherry picking, but OU is an "international" brand? Really?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Why would they do that; the big 12 as gained not loss power with TCU and Baylor really make strides. In fact A&M started to lose recruits to them which is why they moved hoping SEC would bring them more. Move to PAC would end their recruiting in Texas same as why Texas didn't consider it. besides who wants to play that many road games that far away.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Maybe the fact that both Texas & Tech had losing records with that game being of no consequence at all and OU being ranked in the top 15 might have something to do with it?

Looks like Baylor at least looked at the Texas/OU game tape from October to see how to throttle the Sooner offense & roll over their defense.

Nice cherry picking, but OU is an "international" brand? Really?
So you proved my point. OU being ranked in the top 15 drew people from somewhere. And of course it since the Oklahoma market is inconsequential as was suggested in the post I was responding to, the viewers had to come from somewhere else other than Oklahoma and Iowa. And exactly why is an OU-ISU game of any consequence.

As far as the Baylor game? That was sort of the Oklahoma version of your BYU game this year.

And as far as OU being an international brand? As college football goes as an international sport, OU is as well known as most other traditional powers. But I'll give you that I misstated that a bit.

But to bring this back to topic, OU's appeal to a conference isn't tied strictly to market size as was inferred. And OKC/Tulsa as market sizes go, are obviously strong markets for CFB.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:32 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,366,251 times
Not to be argumentative, but The Texas/Tech game didn't excite any sports bar or sports book in Las Vegas enough to turn it on last week when I was there. In other words these recent ratings for UT are at unusual lows. They will pick up as the team gets better.

Otherwise, was the TV draw for OU any different than usual?

OU's appeal to any conference is their strong record & colorful traditions (no matter the high number of NCAA sanctions ). If the Sooners leave for the SEC, then UT will go to the PAC 12 (or whatever it is these days).

Unlike the aggies who ran off to the SEC, OU & Texas would continue the October game in Dallas.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:07 AM

18,046 posts, read 27,497,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
A&M left because of recruiting. They were already second player to Texas and Oklahoma. Then TCU and Baylor started to erode their chances further. They hoped by moving to SEC that they could attract more Texas high school stars. SEC also wanted them for same reason. Whether it's going to work is still to be determined.
Recruiting or not, who has a stronger top to bottom conference than the SEC West these days... last several plus years?

Oh, and props to A&M for their success in a pretty tough conference so far.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Not to be argumentative, but The Texas/Tech game didn't excite any sports bar or sports book in Las Vegas enough to turn it on last week when I was there. In other words these recent ratings for UT are at unusual lows. They will pick up as the team gets better.

To be totally fair, the UT/Tech game was on up against the prime time match ups on Network channels and ESPN which affected the ratings.

Otherwise, was the TV draw for OU any different than usual?

To be fair, the OU-ISU game was up against the usual fair of crappy 12 pm EST games and not up against the big time match ups.

Again, my whole point is that I would assume that the Texas TV audience would by shear numbers would be able to outdo an Oklahoma game against a crappy opponent if not for OU getting some help by out of state viewers.

OU's appeal to any conference is their strong record & colorful traditions
To be totally honest, OU's appeal to any conference is a lot of non Oklahoma people will tune in to watch them play………hoping they will get beat.

As far as to which conference, I guess UT doesn't want to go SEC because the academics are not lofty enough.

The bad thing about the PAC (besides the distance to travel to games) is the game times being on so late.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:23 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,614,799 times
Quote:
lol - It's the best, most diverse college sports board, bar none.
Land Thieves>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shaggy.

Shaggy bans any non texas fan for no reason. It's a circle jerk of texsa vaginas. What's up with their penis fascination? Weird stuff. Love Thujones ms paint tho. Good stuff.<<<<<Going

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-11-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Land Thieves>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shaggy.

Shaggy bans any non texas fan for no reason. It's a circle jerk of texsa vaginas. What's up with their penis fascination? Weird stuff. Love Thujones ms paint tho. Good stuff.
Got banned on the Shag.

I got neg repped big time for suggesting that Malcolm Brown (I think after his second year) wouldn't see the field much if he had gone to Alabama.

Then one of the shagsters posted that poster pointing out OU probations and National championships that they always put up. It misrepresents reality so I put up a defense explaining what really happened.

Then, a poster named Hookemhoorah claimed that he hated "Okies" because the Boomers and Sooners came in and "committed genocide" against the Indians.

That is so patently untrue that I told him that I could see why he went to the Marines instead of getting a college education.

Ended up banned.

What I don't understand about Texas message board poster is their inability to say anything nice about us.

For instance, there was a thread over there about Texas picking up a game against Tulsa, and sure enough the thread turned into a thread trashing the city of Tulsa and the people who live there.

Meanwhile, there is a thread on what to do in Ft Worth on LandThieves. Not a single negative word rendered about Ft. Worth on the whole thread.

That's the difference between us and them. We are just inherently nicer and kinder people.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,976,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Got banned on the Shag.

I got neg repped big time for suggesting that Malcolm Brown (I think after his second year) wouldn't see the field much if he had gone to Alabama.

Then one of the shagsters posted that poster pointing out OU probations and National championships that they always put up. It misrepresents reality so I put up a defense explaining what really happened.

Then, a poster named Hookemhoorah claimed that he hated "Okies" because the Boomers and Sooners came in and "committed genocide" against the Indians.

That is so patently untrue that I told him that I could see why he went to the Marines instead of getting a college education.

Ended up banned.

What I don't understand about Texas message board poster is their inability to say anything nice about us.

For instance, there was a thread over there about Texas picking up a game against Tulsa, and sure enough the thread turned into a thread trashing the city of Tulsa and the people who live there.

Meanwhile, there is a thread on what to do in Ft Worth on LandThieves. Not a single negative word rendered about Ft. Worth on the whole thread.

That's the difference between us and them. We are just inherently nicer and kinder people.
Lol, so you're gonna act like half of Land Thieves wasn't acing like they were happy when Trevor Knight got hurt on Saturday?

Internet forums tend to bring out the worst of ALL fanbases.

I'm sure on Land Thieves they NEVER compare the UT logo with a female organ, or call us "Whorns" right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football