Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
Looks like it'll be Florida State vs Auburn for the last BCS title
Should be a good one
Auburn just doesn't strike me as being balanced enough to hang with FSU. If FSU can shut down their running and option game, I think the Tigers are going to be embarrassed. If they can overpower the Noles on the line, then perhaps some doubt sets in on the Noles sidelines, but I don't think FSU is Oregon. They're a power team, just like the elite teams Auburn plays in the SEC.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:46 AM

675 posts, read 1,415,902 times
I hope you're right. I am cautiously optimistic, but there are two major points that pull in opposite directions, which makes me uncertain.

1) FSU has completely blown away all 13 opponents. They haven't even trailed in any game since September.

but-

2) I think Auburn is way better than anyone FSU's played, especially after watching them run roughshod over Mizzou.

Barring anything unusual, or some big breaks for Auburn's D, I see FSU being able to put up lots of points on them. The question is, can Auburn's O pound it against FSU the way they have against other teams, and make it one of those shootouts where the last team that scores wins.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I hope you're right. I am cautiously optimistic, but there are two major points that pull in opposite directions, which makes me uncertain.

1) FSU has completely blown away all 13 opponents. They haven't even trailed in any game since September.

but-

2) I think Auburn is way better than anyone FSU's played, especially after watching them run roughshod over Mizzou.

Barring anything unusual, or some big breaks for Auburn's D, I see FSU being able to put up lots of points on them. The question is, can Auburn's O pound it against FSU the way they have against other teams, and make it one of those shootouts where the last team that scores wins.
I was also surprised by the ease with which Auburn just steamrolled Mizzou's defense, which was pretty good at containing A&M and Johnny Football the week before. I don't think it's necessarily indicative of what will happen once the Tigers play FSU, though. If Alabama just takes care of business in the 2nd half, we're not even talking about Auburn, and the same can be said of Georgia. I give Auburn lots of credit for having heart, but they don't have the talent that FSU does - at least not on both sides of the football.

As I have pointed out before, people are talking a lot about what FSU does offensively and they're talking about the final point totals, which obviously point to an explosive passing game. I still think that FSU's real strength is on defense, more than it is on offense. The reason FSU scores points is because the Noles D gets turnovers or quickly puts the opposing team in bad field position.

The one loss that Auburn had to LSU is probably going to be regarded as an early-season fluke, and I would also expect them to win a rematch, but I don't think the whole game was a fluke. LSU proved against A&M that while they might be inconsistent and immature in some games, they can step up and dominate the line of scrimmage against most teams, and Auburn got worked in that game. I was expecting to see Alabama work them as well, and they did for a while in the 2nd quarter, but I think they just took their foot off the pedal and let Auburn climb back into the game, which is rare for a Nick Saban-coached team.

Still, Auburn could be a game opponent. I think the real key will come down to turnovers. Which team will put the ball on the ground, and which team will throw the pick. If Auburn can take care of the football, that will obviously increase their chances. Their best bet is to keep the ball, wear down the FSU defense, and hope to get some big plays on defense at critical times. If I'm Fisher and I'm talking to Winston, I'm telling him to let the game come to him and let the defense establish the tone. The game might be tight early but FSU will wear down Auburn. If I'm Malzahn, I'm telling the offense to hold on to the freakin ball and to make smart throws - throw it away if it ain't there. Keep FSU's defense on the field and frustrate them by gradually moving the ball and not turning it over. If FSU gets a turnover or two early, sheesh...it will be like the proverbial blood in the water to a tank full of sharks.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,806,078 times
Don't discount the fact that Florida State went into Clemson and blew them out.

Don't forget that Missouri's offense gained well over 500 yards against Auburn.

Apart from their game with Boston College, FSU's defense has not given up a lot of points. It's going to be very interesting to see if Auburn can keep with the Seminole offense.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,612,953 times
Iron sharpens iron. Auburn has been tested and smacked in the mouth by good teams and here they are. Sadly for this fan I think the SEC streak will still be alive in 2014.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,454,191 times
Key Stat
Passing Offense - FSU #14
Passing Yards Allowed - Auburn #104

FSU didn't escape 6-6 Wash St and 6-6 Miss St. They also didn't need back to back weeks of miracles to get where they are. They have won big, scoring 45+ plus in all but 1 game. Against ranked opponents, FSU went 200-35.

The offense gets the press but the defense is what Auburn should fear for. #1 in scoring defense, #2 in take aways, #1 in interceptions, 8 Defensive Touchdowns, and have only allowed 4 rushing touchdowns.

Should FSU fear the run... they already faced Heisman finalist, 2000 yard rusher Andre Williams.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:31 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,612,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Key Stat
Passing Offense - FSU #14
Passing Yards Allowed - Auburn #104

FSU didn't escape 6-6 Wash St and 6-6 Miss St. They also didn't need back to back weeks of miracles to get where they are. They have won big, scoring 45+ plus in all but 1 game. Against ranked opponents, FSU went 200-35.

The offense gets the press but the defense is what Auburn should fear for. #1 in scoring defense, #2 in take aways, #1 in interceptions, 8 Defensive Touchdowns, and have only allowed 4 rushing touchdowns.

Should FSU fear the run... they already faced Heisman finalist, 2000 yard rusher Andre Williams.
That's not a key stat. With a month off and a month to prepare, history tells us that passing offenses struggle to maintain season form in bowl games. Maybe FSU will buck the trend. Who knows. I'm guessing both teams will be held well below their season passing stats. Auburn will control the clock and win somewhere around 31-28.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:54 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Iron sharpens iron. Auburn has been tested and smacked in the mouth by good teams and here they are. Sadly for this fan I think the SEC streak will still be alive in 2014.
I'm with ya here too.

I think Auburn is a lot more battle-tested than Florida State. Auburn could very easily smack Florida State in the mouth if the Noles are not ready for it.

I want the Seminoles to win, and win big, but I'm still skeptical given FSU's schedule. I would love to see FSU's defense manhandle the Auburn running attack, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
I think the only thing the BCS got wrong this year was Oklahoma over Oklahoma state & Oregon. I'd say Missouri as well, but they have 2 conference limit and Alabama was a lock, so even though Missouri definitely deserved it over Oklahoma and would have gotten it if not for the conference limit, Missouri picked the wrong time to lose their second game.

Say what you will about OK beating State, but its not like the Sooners killed them, and as the BCS proved in 2007, and probably a couple others years I don't remember, head to head means **** anyways. That year (2007) a 1 loss Missouri beat an undefeated Kansas the last week of the regular season in a winner takes the big 12 north game. Mizzou won, lost to Oklahoma.....again (lost to them earlier in the season as well), so even though they won the division AND beat them head to head Kansas got the second Big 12 BCS bid that year.

What I really would have liked to see however, was Mizzou holding onto that 17 point 4th quarter lead in the USC game, go into the SEC championship game undefeated and lose to Auburn. Who's the second SEC team the BCS would have taken?? Alabama would bring more fans, but Mizzou finished the whole SEC season undefeated. Also, what if Mizzou beats Auburn instead?? Does the BCS still select Alabama, just like Kansas/Mizzou in 2007??

Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm with ya here too.

I think Auburn is a lot more battle-tested than Florida State. Auburn could very easily smack Florida State in the mouth if the Noles are not ready for it.

I want the Seminoles to win, and win big, but I'm still skeptical given FSU's schedule. I would love to see FSU's defense manhandle the Auburn running attack, but I'm not holding my breath.
And I want to be able to crow "SEC! SEC! SEC!", but I'm a tellin' ya, if Auburn fumbles, or if FSU starts stuffing the run, it's over, and it's gonna get ugly. We already know Auburn is the least big boy football team to come along in the SEC in a mighty long time. In fact, I think they're an embarrassment to SEC football. They're gonna let the string end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football