Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the ACC lose more teams?
Probably 25 56.82%
Probably not 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,806,078 times

Advertisements

UNC, Boston College, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech also add to the academic quality of the ACC.

Out of the Pac 12, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and SEC, who has the best overall academic collection of schools?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,597 posts, read 16,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
UNC, Boston College, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech also add to the academic quality of the ACC.

Out of the Pac 12, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC and SEC, who has the best overall academic collection of schools?
The ACC.

Us. News and world actually has the averages.

#1 ACC
#2 Big 10
#3 Pac 12
#4 SEC
#5 Big 12

Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The ACC.

Us. News and world actually has the averages.

#1 ACC
#2 Big 10
#3 Pac 12
#4 SEC
#5 Big 12
Updated for new additions?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

The ACC is not the top academic conference in college football. Not one person on the planet would argue that. Sure, they got Duke and UVA but they also have Clemson, Louisville and Florida State. The Ivy League is the best academic conference. It aint even close. Of the major conferences most will tell you the Big Ten is the best. But you're right, academics don't matter. I mean, it's not like they are universities or anything.

when i said 'top academic in college football' i assumed that most would understand i meant..in real college football.
yes, the ivy is smarter than everyone but they also don't play major college football.

and no most won't tell you the big 10 is best. most would tell you they are second best, because in every ranking out there..they come in second..

Clemson? not a bad school, they are ranked right there tied with Minnesota and Rutgers. Ahead of Nebraska, Indiana, Michigan State, Iowa.. (in those us news rankings which i don't really hold stock in, but thats what everyone uses so there it is)
So as good or better than 43% of the big 10 schools.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:08 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,515,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
when i said 'top academic in college football' i assumed that most would understand i meant..in real college football.
yes, the ivy is smarter than everyone but they also don't play major college football.

and no most won't tell you the big 10 is best. most would tell you they are second best, because in every ranking out there..they come in second..

Clemson? not a bad school, they are ranked right there tied with Minnesota and Rutgers. Ahead of Nebraska, Indiana, Michigan State, Iowa.. (in those us news rankings which i don't really hold stock in, but thats what everyone uses so there it is)
So as good or better than 43% of the big 10 schools.
The average rank of an ACC school is 48.66
The average rank of a Big Ten school is 46

College Rankings by Athletic Conference - US News and World Report

Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The average rank of an ACC school is 48.66
The average rank of a Big Ten school is 46

College Rankings by Athletic Conference - US News and World Report
should i just ignore the fact that link uses rankings from 2009? did you miss the date it was written? you don't count all the members of either conference either(nebraska isn't even in the b1gs rankings yet)?

heres one a few years more recent one for you to update your bookmarks with.

look they are both good conferences but if you want to go by those rankings everyone loves, heres how it stacks up currently..with new schools added.
i don't have a horse in the race as a CMU grad, but while both impressive its not really up for debate which is superior in this regard

top 10
acc 1
b1g 0

top 30
acc 5 (with a 6th at 31)
b1g 2 (with a 3rd at 41)

top 60
acc 10
b1g 6

Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,515,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
should i just ignore the fact that link uses rankings from 2009? did you miss the date it was written? you don't count all the members of either conference either(nebraska isn't even in the b1gs rankings yet)?

heres one a few years more recent one for you to update your bookmarks with.

look they are both good conferences but if you want to go by those rankings everyone loves, heres how it stacks up currently..with new schools added.
i don't have a horse in the race as a CMU grad, but while both impressive its not really up for debate which is superior in this regard

top 10
acc 1
b1g 0

top 30
acc 5 (with a 6th at 31)
b1g 2 (with a 3rd at 41)

top 60
acc 10
b1g 6
I didn't go to a B1G or ACC school either.

I used the schools in the conferences as of 2012. No reason to include Pitt and Syracuse and UMD because they aint jumped yet.

And I also averaged the schools. Yeah, the B1G doesn't have a school in the Top 10 and the ACC does. Duke is 10 and Northwestern is 12. What's the difference? The average ranking of a B1G school is higher than the ACC. Not by much. But it's higher.

And the ACC added Louisville while the Big Ten added Johns Hopkins. It will no longer be debatable.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:33 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,127,291 times
I don't want open old wounds but saw this just now...

Dabo Swinney is proud of the ACC, flashes "The U" sign | Campus Union - SI.com

The ACC is enjoying arguably its best season-opening two-week stretch since the league first expanded. Expectations have constantly buried some not-so-championship-caliber contenders in the past, and opening week stinkers have made the ACC a joke too many times. But after Miami’s win over Florida in Week 2 and Clemson’s win over Georgia in Week 1, the league has a couple of reasons to smile. (Plus, no ACC teams lost to an FCS opponent in the first week of the season.)

Dabo: "How about that ACC? Spunky little old league?" Then he makes "The U" sign as he walks out.

It’s nice to see Clemson coach Dabo Swinney preening a bit, although he should take a little more care; possible side effects of said gestures include losing to Wake Forest, NC State or Boston College.

Every coach in the ACC should make “The U” sign as often as possible. In line at Subway, flash “The U.” Getting oil changed, give ‘em “The U.” At dinner with the wife, pay with a “The U” credit card.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:07 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,454,191 times
Man has this thread gone silent... Alot of those WVU guys are no shows now. Interesting

SEC East Top Team downed. Dogs put out to die in Death Valley.
SEC East 2nd Team struggled. Clowney draft stock hurt after being gassed in the first quarter.
SEC East 3rd Team downed. UF fans already calling for Muschamp's head.

ACC represent

Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Academics and money is everything. All the realignment we see has been a result of both.
No, just money. Lville to the ACC proves that. Now that the ACC has Lville and FSU it cant use academics as an excuse for its athletic failures, not that academics was ever relevant to footbball.

Notice how fast ACC homers shut up when you bring up the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football