Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,845,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Basketball is secondary. It brings in pennies to the dollars football brings in.

In the 21st century distance and geography dont matter, neither does history. Money does. CB is a minor NFL. There is big money money involved and lots of talents.
in the 21st century, distance and geography will count far more than any time in the history of the game. peak oil is here, more and more nations in the world are fighting for access to it, and we are so wedded to it that we do little to come up with alternative forms of energy. Indeed, that very lack of efforts to weane ourselves from it is destroying the planet.

in the 21st century, it is insane to have Nebraska travel to Rutgers, West Virginia to Texas Tech, Florida to Missouri, not only for football....but for basketball, baseball, lacrosse, tennis, etc.

It's nuts, cry.

and the irony? the fans and the kids on campus would rather see the local rivalries, the schools in their backyards, the ones they share alumni and friends and proximity and a relationship with. If you think that Mizzou benefitted from trading Kansas (OMG Kansas) for Florida, I'm in complete disagreement with you. And if I were an MU fan in a place like St. Louis or Kansas City, I'd far rather make that very do-able car ride to Lawrence than to fly cross country to Gainesville. But what do i know.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,253,499 times
Quote:
If they added enough money, after taking into account travel cost, than yes.
I don't know if you are agreeing with me or not.

Either way, the PAC 12 is just as far away (the original eight schools are actually closer) as the MWC and WAC are.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
in the 21st century, distance and geography will count far more than any time in the history of the game. peak oil is here, more and more nations in the world are fighting for access to it, and we are so wedded to it that we do little to come up with alternative forms of energy. Indeed, that very lack of efforts to weane ourselves from it is destroying the planet.

in the 21st century, it is insane to have Nebraska travel to Rutgers, West Virginia to Texas Tech, Florida to Missouri, not only for football....but for basketball, baseball, lacrosse, tennis, etc.

It's nuts, cry.

and the irony? the fans and the kids on campus would rather see the local rivalries, the schools in their backyards, the ones they share alumni and friends and proximity and a relationship with. If you think that Mizzou benefitted from trading Kansas (OMG Kansas) for Florida, I'm in complete disagreement with you. And if I were an MU fan in a place like St. Louis or Kansas City, I'd far rather make that very do-able car ride to Lawrence than to fly cross country to Gainesville. But what do i know.
Actually, no. There us plenty of oil left. In fact the US and Canada now have HUGE energy reserves. It is not insane for teams to travel. What is insane is that they didn't travel earlier. Football has been stuck in the 19th century despite having 21st century technology. Now the game is catching up with the times.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Actually, no. There us plenty of oil left. In fact the US and Canada now have HUGE energy reserves. It is not insane for teams to travel. What is insane is that they didn't travel earlier. Football has been stuck in the 19th century despite having 21st century technology. Now the game is catching up with the times.
this is getting waaaaaaay too weird for me. sorry if i take a pass on your vision from hell. i give up.

i'mouttahere!

Last edited by edsg25; 12-17-2012 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
xxxx

Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
this is getting waaaaaaay too weird for me. sorry if i take a pass on your vision from hell. i give up.

i'mouttahere!
OK goodbye.

After ACC implodes we can continue conversation.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
OK goodbye.

After ACC implodes we can continue conversation.
i doubt. who cares about the ACC or the Big 12 when it comes to issues that really matter. Like all that oil that you still wish to extract, that oil deep in the ground that does will do untold damage to a planet already tittering on disaster because of our extraction and use of fossil fuels.

what's there to talk about, cry. your vision of technology is technology from hell. while sane and rational people are horrified by the damage already done from our energy use and insatiable desire for stuff that is killing the only home we have, mother earth, you wish to continue to process on steroids, go to the Arctic, dig deep under the permafrost and finish off the job.

happy for you, cry, an oil tanker was able to leave siberia to take oil across the Arctic Ocean to the far east for the first time this late in the year. see, it's working out beautifully because climate change has assisted the oil exploiters and given an ice free path for them to follow across those northern seas. indeed, climate change will make it far easier for us to extract oil from alaska and the northern regions of canada.

so you think I care about the ACC or B12 when this abomination becomes part of the discussion.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
i doubt. who cares about the ACC or the Big 12 when it comes to issues that really matter. Like all that oil that you still wish to extract, that oil deep in the ground that does will do untold damage to a planet already tittering on disaster because of our extraction and use of fossil fuels.

what's there to talk about, cry. your vision of technology is technology from hell. while sane and rational people are horrified by the damage already done from our energy use and insatiable desire for stuff that is killing the only home we have, mother earth, you wish to continue to process on steroids, go to the Arctic, dig deep under the permafrost and finish off the job.

happy for you, cry, an oil tanker was able to leave siberia to take oil across the Arctic Ocean to the far east for the first time this late in the year. see, it's working out beautifully because climate change has assisted the oil exploiters and given an ice free path for them to follow across those northern seas. indeed, climate change will make it far easier for us to extract oil from alaska and the northern regions of canada.

so you think I care about the ACC or B12 when this abomination becomes part of the discussion.
This is a football forum. I will discuss college football with you here, not energy extraction. If you want to make another post in another thread I will gladly discuss this topic, just send me a PM, but I will only talk about CB in the college football forum.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:
This is a football forum. I will discuss college football with you here, not energy extraction. If you want to make another post in another thread I will gladly discuss this topic, just send me a PM, but I will only talk about CB in the college football forum.
sure, cry, bulking up on massive air travel to see and play in a college football game isn't about both football and energy and, let's face it, insanity.

are you seriously suggesting that college football shouldn't have those very notions I've described at the core of any discussion and plans for expansion and expanding footprints? Even if one doesn't care about the planet (we are killing it and ourselves and very well may end the possibility for quality life and our survival this century).

but, if you choose to look at this in simply economic terms: nobody is going to be able to afford the travel distances you seem to think are good for the game. We are at peak oil. and whatever we exract will be more limited and, like much of the energy drilled in North America, it will be shipped overseas to other markets.

energy costs are going through the roof. that's why i sit in amazement when you suggest that the 21st century is the ideal time for these cross country conferences when, in fact, cheap energy was the hallmark of the 20th century, not ours. the world is vastly different.

as noted, when you link up with schools half way across the country from you, it affects not only football and basketball but every non-revenue sport. you have also cheated the fans and the students, the very people who want close by, long time rivals and short travel distances to go to away games, often by car to tail gate.

I don't know about the conferences you follow and support although I suspect the big 12 is the top of the list. but I'm in Big Ten country and I know from what I have read and also through personal contacts, the most majority of fans and students thought the Maryland and Rutgers expansion was awful, liked the neighborhood old time rivalries, the schools that have real connections with each other, and the easy travel times.

UMd and Rutgers were added to the Big Ten for one reason only: $

they were added for market shares in the east. What they have created is now NFL Lite. this is professional football. the illusions are no longer workable. and it will kill the game. A good part of the love of college football revolves on it being "college". It is clear now that these programs have little relationship to their universities and are strictly there for profit. I don't mind that in the NFL; it is what is and it is honest about it and one can fully accept that. but it won't work with college football, a game that is killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
sure, cry, bulking up on massive air travel to see and play in a college football game isn't about both football and energy and, let's face it, insanity.

are you seriously suggesting that college football shouldn't have those very notions I've described at the core of any discussion and plans for expansion and expanding footprints? Even if one doesn't care about the planet (we are killing it and ourselves and very well may end the possibility for quality life and our survival this century).

but, if you choose to look at this in simply economic terms: nobody is going to be able to afford the travel distances you seem to think are good for the game. We are at peak oil. and whatever we exract will be more limited and, like much of the energy drilled in North America, it will be shipped overseas to other markets.

energy costs are going through the roof. that's why i sit in amazement when you suggest that the 21st century is the ideal time for these cross country conferences when, in fact, cheap energy was the hallmark of the 20th century, not ours. the world is vastly different.

as noted, when you link up with schools half way across the country from you, it affects not only football and basketball but every non-revenue sport. you have also cheated the fans and the students, the very people who want close by, long time rivals and short travel distances to go to away games, often by car to tail gate.

I don't know about the conferences you follow and support although I suspect the big 12 is the top of the list. but I'm in Big Ten country and I know from what I have read and also through personal contacts, the most majority of fans and students thought the Maryland and Rutgers expansion was awful, liked the neighborhood old time rivalries, the schools that have real connections with each other, and the easy travel times.

UMd and Rutgers were added to the Big Ten for one reason only: $

they were added for market shares in the east. What they have created is now NFL Lite. this is professional football. the illusions are no longer workable. and it will kill the game. A good part of the love of college football revolves on it being "college". It is clear now that these programs have little relationship to their universities and are strictly there for profit. I don't mind that in the NFL; it is what is and it is honest about it and one can fully accept that. but it won't work with college football, a game that is killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
Travel is not an issue. It can done so cheaply right and for the foreseeable future. And yes the game has changed and it is about money. The regional and cultural chararterisrics are being replaced. It is a shame but it is inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football