Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
The talent in Hawaii is mostly on the OL and DL. Te'o and Mariota aren't commonplace.
Agreed... Polynesian boys are "generally" big, very big, and more big. They are not necessarily skilled players. Meaning speed and agility is not their thing.

But even still... They produce a ton of D1 talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,521,563 times
According to the rankings at Rivals and 247Sports (forget about ESPN and Scout, both are a joke when it comes to ranking high school recruits), almost every year the most talented recruits come from Texas, Florida and California as far as shear numbers go. Those three states are almost always in the top three. Ohio is usually in the top five. Those maps baffle me, Michigan doesn't have that much high school football talent. That's why they recruit hard in Ohio to land the players Ohio St. doesn't really want.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Agreed... Polynesian boys are "generally" big, very big, and more big. They are not necessarily skilled players. Meaning speed and agility is not their thing.

But even still... They produce a ton of D1 talent.
I watched the Hawaii DIV I State Semifinal last weekend. It was Farrington v. Kahuku, and the former has a huge OL. The funny thing is Kahuku won big, but their guys are really big, too. Farrington has a D1 prospect in Colin Ka'alele who is a 6'2" 361lbs. OG.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,603,710 times
Quote:
Oh, but that's the thing, they aren't just big. They also tend to be very quick and explosive for their size.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Oh, but that's the thing, they aren't just big. They also tend to be very quick and explosive for their size.
That is true! Some people just think Polynesians are big and slow and have bad footwork. Not true!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,984,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
Access to talent is part of it, but there's more to it than that. Until Nick Saban came to LSU, other conferences had better coaching and better recruiting. Nick Saban was the game changer, which is why even though I'm an LSU guy who's somewhat bitter about his departure for Alabama, I can't be too bitter. Saban made the entire conference more competitive. Urban Meyer didn't hurt, but Saban made everyone else up their game a bit more. I give Les Miles credit for not messing up what Saban created.

Oregon, Notre Dame, and Kansas State also have outstanding coaches, and now Ohio State does, too, with the arrival of Urban Meyer. That will probably tilt the balance of power ever so slightly so that the SEC will probably occasionally drop a BCS match here and there. But as long as there are coaches who can come in and just keep this thing going, there's an ample supply of talent to fuel the continued success of these programs indefinitely.

Changing topics here a bit, but what are the chances that Arkansas or Tennessee takes a chance on Frank Solich? John Gruden's another name I keep hearing. Could Bobby Petrino end up at Tennessee? Kentucky?
Great point. The coaching in the SEC over the past decade has been a cut above the rest of the country.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,603,710 times
Also, I'm a little surprised to see that Wisconsin has such a dearth of talent, seeing how the Badgers generally put out a pretty good squad.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I'm not saying the big boys are not quick... I'm just stating the obvious about skill players. Outside of Troy, I can't name a Polynesian DB in the league. LB's are usually as close as it gets on the skilled players.

But I bet they make up 15-20% of all lineman.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,888 times
Quote:
Really?

You believe the south is getting its talent from PA transplants...
They are getting the population increase and thus the athletes increase. The south has always had many great athletes. Now many,many more. I am sure more than a few southern athletes have grandparents from PA.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:00 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,316,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
They are getting the population increase and thus the athletes increase. The south has always had many great athletes. Now many,many more. I am sure more than a few southern athletes have grandparents from PA.
Sure....it is that PA influence that makes our athletes great...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football