Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:56 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,338,991 times

Advertisements

...what happens then?

All three teams can argue that they play tough conference schedules. Alabama could argue that it's the defending national champion, and it's almost a given that the computers would rate the SEC as the tougher conference, so that would pit Oregon against KSU for the final championship slot. It might come down to whichever conference has the most ranked highly ranked teams, which would probably give the edge to KSU at this point. I get the feeling that this might be the one year that absolutely blows up whatever shred of legitimacy the BCS has left.

In 2004, we had a similar situation with Auburn, OU, and USC, as I recall, but that was partially resolved with USC thrashing OU to the point where most of the writers and coaches accepted the legitimacy of the champion, despite Auburn's otherwise legitimate protests. However, if either OU or USC won in a closely-contested game, Auburn might have had a better case. The same could happen this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:16 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,900,714 times
I don't think Oregon will finish undefeated... I don't believe they will beat USC twice. And may not get past Oregon state. Just Saying...

If K-State played a championship game I would say the same. But they don't, so they are the best bet to make it to the Natty. Even over Bama...

I believe Bama and Florida will be undefeated when they meet in the SEC Championship. And I think both are better than K-State. But either could win... So Florida is in the mix too. You left them out.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,456,812 times
If all three end undefeated, it should be Alabama vs Oregon. Oregon is currently ahead and Kansas State is beyond all their big games. Oregon has some big games ahead, which will keep them up there as long as they keep winning.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,891,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
If all three end undefeated, it should be Alabama vs Oregon. Oregon is currently ahead and Kansas State is beyond all their big games. Oregon has some big games ahead, which will keep them up there as long as they keep winning.
Oregon has much easier schedule and conference than Kansas State.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,464,290 times
We could always settle it on the field...oh, wait, K-State punked out of the game with the Ducks this year. I think if Oregon and K-State are unbeaten, the Ducks will go. People want to see Bama vs. Oregon. I think KSU jumps us for a while, but after seeing the performance of the Big 12 this year (with absolutely no defense and nearly every team minus KSU and OU giving up 1000 points a game and a lower tier Pac-12 team skull smashing the Pokes), I think Oregon's wins versus USC (twice), Stanford, and a possibly top 10 Oregon State team will get the Ducks in the game down the stretch. WVU sure blew their load against teams like...hmm, well, I guess they didn't beat anyone good and when they did beat an average UT and Baylor team, they gave up about 900 yards and a tad less than 453 points. So, I wasn't all that impressed after they got thumped by another average team in Tech (and then KSU). The OU win was a good win though. In the end, an Oregon-Bama Natty is far more intriguing than a Bama-KSU. But, oh man, the irony if K-State ends up playing us in the Natty. I mean, you try and duck a big name OOC team and then end up playing us. And then, Chris Harper, who couldn't hack playing at UO, ends up facing his old team- man, the story lines for that game would be hilarious.

Too bad the 4 team playoff doesn't start this year as Bama, UF, UO, and KSU would be a good playoff.

For the record, I still think the Ducks will drop a game. I think KSU wins out. If they play Bama, they lose by at least 21 points.

Last edited by Acuda; 10-21-2012 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,003,889 times
Oregon actually dropped a spot in the latest BCS standings. Kansas State is now ahead of them. Oregon had better start trying to score 100 points a game or something.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,964,783 times
Lol

Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 PM

K-State's a solid team. It almost makes me hope that Alabama and Florida both lose, and that there's at least a split national champion, if nothing else. I think K-State and Oregon are praying for LSU to score the upset over Bama, and then they're hoping Bama can take care of Florida in the SEC title game. K-State's not going to lose this year. They would if they had to play Oklahoma twice, but since they don't, they have officially survived the meat of their schedule. I guess Notre Dame could beat OU and that might bring down K-State's strength of schedule, but not by much. I think Oregon's screwed here, barring Alabama and Florida meltdowns.

Looks like the BCS just doesn't work out after all....

Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I don't think Oregon will finish undefeated... I don't believe they will beat USC twice. And may not get past Oregon state. Just Saying...

If K-State played a championship game I would say the same. But they don't, so they are the best bet to make it to the Natty. Even over Bama...

I believe Bama and Florida will be undefeated when they meet in the SEC Championship. And I think both are better than K-State. But either could win... So Florida is in the mix too. You left them out.
Oregon will take care of USC - twice. No problem. Oregon just has to hope that Bama and Florida get tripped up during the regular season, neither of which seems likely. Florida should defeat Georgia, and Alabama should take care of LSU. I think the SEC title winner, if they're undefeated, deserves the benefit of the doubt and should probably get one of the spots in the title game. I just don't think that the Big 12 matches up well against the SEC. Most of the PAC 12 doesn't, either, but Oregon does.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,964,783 times
If Kansas wins big against the rest of schedule and we don't convince we deserve the big game then good for Kansas. But if they struggle or stop working for it and we more strongly convince it will be fair. I think it will be fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football