Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 PM

922 posts, read 1,700,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
but after seeing the performance of the Big 12 this year (with absolutely no defense and nearly every team minus KSU and OU giving up 1000 points a game
werd......

Total

7 (tied w/ Florida) Texas Tech
15 Oklahoma
17 TCU
23 Kansas State
45 Oklahoma State
56 Iowa State

Scoring

12 Oklahoma
14 Kansas State
27 Iowa State
32 TCU
34 Texas Tech
52 Oklahoma State

Total Defense - NCAA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,274,993 times
What about Notre Dame? They are still undefeated and if they beat Oklahoma this weekend in Norman, wouldn't they be a contender? There could definitely be 4 undefeated teams at the top of the pools at the end of the season. (We know either Alabama or Florida are going to have at least 1 loss since they'd play in the SEC championship game.) And you also still have Oregon State, Mississippi State, Rutgers, Louisville, even Ohio all undefeated. And if Florida loses to Alabama, would they drop far enough to have Kansas State, Oregon, and Notre Dame in the top 4 with Florida on the outside looking in? Or would we have the same situation as last year with Alabama and LSU just swapping the number 1 and number 2 spot after their regular season game and then playing again in the championship game?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,669,453 times
If the SEC championship matches unbeaten Alabama/Florida then the winner will get the NOD but the loser will not get a rematch in the BCS.. lf Florida or Bama trip up and miss out on the SEC Championship then they would need a lot of help to get back to the BCS game. I don't see that happening 2 years in a row... personally I want to see Oregon vs the SEC champion... I am confident that the SEC will hold up their end of the bargain, just not sure Oregon will.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:12 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,898,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Oregon will take care of USC - twice. No problem.

Let's remember this...

But if they do that, they deserve to be in the title game for sure.

I still say K-State is the MOST Natty lock at this point though... Although I think OU is the best team in the Big12 right now. So it sucks that they dont have a conferencen championship game anymore. Cause I would love to see OU play in the Natty against an SEC team even before UO or K-State. But they would need lots of help... Could happen if

If OU beats ND
If USC beats Oregon
If ND beats USC
If K-State loses to an unranked team
USC beats Oregon again in the conference championship

That's a lot of If's... lol

Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,515,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Let's remember this...

I still say K-State is the MOST Natty lock at this point though... Although I think OU is the best team in the Big12 right now. So it sucks that they dont have a conferencen championship game anymore. Cause I would love to see OU play in the Natty against an SEC team even before UO or K-State. But they would need lots of help... Could happen if

If OU beats ND
If USC beats Oregon
If ND beats USC

>>>>>
So it sucks that they dont have a conferencen championship game anymore.
<<<<<

On the money here. The Big 12 was a lot better when it was the Big 12 South/North (although an East/West division would have been wiser on the front end to keep the divisions more even).

Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,898,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
So it sucks that they dont have a conferencen championship game anymore.
<<<<<

On the money here. The Big 12 was a lot better when it was the Big 12 South/North (although an East/West division would have been wiser on the front end to keep the divisions more even).
Yea I'm realizing how it stinks now... a year ago I thought it was ok not having a title game.

And I think the rule of a conf needing 12 teams for the championship game is outdated too. It makes a conference have to water itself down to get 12 teams. 10 is enough...

Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,454,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
Oregon actually dropped a spot in the latest BCS standings. Kansas State is now ahead of them. Oregon had better start trying to score 100 points a game or something.
Kansas State has 1 ranked team on schedule left (Texas won't be ranked when they meet). It is this weekend. Oregon will play 3 ranked teams (1 of them twice). Beating 2 potential Top 15 teams at the end of the year will easily gain them enough points over Kansas State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415
werd......
Did you look at the bottom of this list...
#120 Baylor
#113 West Virginia
#107 Texas
#85 Kansas (this will drop further, trust me)

Iowa State will go further down since all the offensive teams on the backside of their schedule. Same goes for Oklahoma State. Check them come the end of the year... 6 of the 10 most likely under 75 in Total Defense.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,335,696 times
Quote:
Let's remember this...

If OU beats ND
If USC beats Oregon
If ND beats USC

Right now, the way this is shaping up, all K-State has to do is clean the clocks of the rest of their schedule, which they're more than capable of. Make no mistake, I respect KSU - they're a solid team. It would be hard to say that they don't deserve a shot at the national title game. But I also feel that any undefeated team from the SEC necessarily should get a shot, if nothing else because of the record of elite teams from that conference in the biggest games. I think Oregon is setting up to get screwed here, which would be a damn shame 'cause this is a great Oregon team. I don't think people are giving them the credit they deserve. Hopefully that will change, but then K-State would get screwed, and they also deserve a shot. Someone's gonna get left out this time.

This is one of those rare years when I would actually consider accepting a split national championship. I didn't even accept it in 2003 when USC lost out to LSU in the BCS. Whether LSU would have beaten USC or not, I don't know, but if USC would have taken care of business that year, they wouldn't have had to be left to gripe about it at the end. I think the split national title should be awarded when there's a clear travesty, such as when an undefeated team from a major conference gets left out of the picture completely, or when a 2-loss team can jump ahead of a 1-loss team (assuming they're both from major conferences that is).

If Oregon or K-State were to be left out of the natty, I'd seriously consider accepting that there should be a shared title - even if LSU were to win it somehow (which they won't, but just to show that I'm gracious enough...)

Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,335,696 times
Quote:
Let's remember this...

If OU beats ND
If USC beats Oregon
If ND beats USC

Oregon is going to kick USC's @ss all over the field. I think they're saving their biggest can of whup arse for S.C. in particular. It won't be like Alabama - LSU either. Alabama was a better team both times; they just had a bad day offensively in that first game. Oregon is the better team - by some.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,985,759 times
If Alabama/Florida are undefeated along with Oregon and Kansas State I'd say Oregon deserves to go the NCG. Kansas State's already played their hardest game and their schedule remaining is easier than Oregon's. K-State's hardest remaining game is this weekend at home against Texas Tech. Oregon still have USC on the road, home for Stanford, and at Oregon State. In addition they'd have to play a conference title game presumably against USC again. Anyone who thinks Kansas State has a harder road to hoe is just not looking at the actual schedules. The PAC-12 is better than the Big 12 as well.

For what it's worth I don't think K-State or Oregon could beat either Alabama or Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football