Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,127,170 times

Advertisements

If you wanna talk about QB's lets city data!!!

Texas would be first followed closey by California....and third place would be way behind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The jury is out on Cam Newton until he actually plays behind an offensive line worth a damn. During his Heisman-winning season at Auburn, the OL was all seniors save one junior. Meanwhile, it seems as if a defensive lineman is practically taking snaps from the Panthers' center on every other down.
Cam Newton will never be successful. He has the attitude of a teenage girl.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,314 times
Default SEC Hall of Fame QB's? Who are they

What 5 QB's are you talking about?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
if you go back over twenty years there are five quarterbacks from SEC schools in the NFL Hall Of Fame.
I believe cmwensell's comment is directed at me. Those five quarterbacks are:

Joe Namath (Alabama), Fran Tarkenton (Georgia), George Blanda (Kentucky), Bart Starr (Alabama), and Y.A. Tittle (LSU)

Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
If you wanna talk about QB's lets city data!!!

Texas would be first followed closey by California....and third place would be way behind
This thread is about the SEC.

The state of Texas produces outstanding QBs. But certainly not UT(exas) in a long time.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:

Joe Namath (Alabama), Fran Tarkenton (Georgia), George Blanda (Kentucky), Bart Starr (Alabama), and Y.A. Tittle (LSU)
This is why I love reading your posts HH... You are like a walking Sports almanac!!! I had no idea Blanda and Tittle went to SEC schools.

Good post!

Is Kenny Stabler in the hall?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:

NP.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
I appreciate the kind words guys! On to Kenny Stabler, got a story you'd guys would like!

Sadly, he's gone beyond the normal waiting period through the HOF nominating procedure, for him to get nominated now would have to be though the veterans committee. Apparently the knock on him according to the sportswriters is his touchdown/interception ratio. Yea he threw more than two dozen more picks than td's (194/222), but two things come into play here. The pro passing game wasn't anything when he came into the league then (1968) as it is now. Al Davis favorite saying was "We don't take what the defense gives us, we take what we want." And if one other sentence can describe the Raiders, it would be "Al loved the vertical game." And Kenny finished his career with a 75.2 rating. Despite those numbers and the fact he played on below average clubs the last 4 years of his career, he still should merit HOF consideration. He had a 96-49-1 record with the Raiders and I personally saw him carve up Denver defenses, he was fearless on the field, a damn good quarterback And regarding his Alabama career, he was 28-3-1.

After Stabler retired he did color commentary on TNT televised NFL games. In early October 1985 he was down in Southwest Colorado promoting a charity golf tournament in the Durango area. Tamarron resort was where the tournament took place and it was a charity event for handicapped kids. Several retired Bronco and Raider players were there, I had some vacation time saved up (was living in the Denver area at the time) and drove down there. Had a great time! Stabler was very friendly throughout the weekend not turning down an autograph at all. After the tournament he talked to the football players at Durango High school, a friend of mine who still lives in the area has a son who was there when Stabler popped in. Made his day, that's for sure. I know Stabler has had some hard times lately. Still, he was/is one of the more colorful players the NFL had ever seen.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
When you think about the great QBs and teams from the 70s you have the following;
Steelers and Bradshaw
Cowboys and Staubach
Griese and Dolphins
Tarkenton and Vikings
Stabler and Raiders

No one else really sticks out. It would be fitting, at least in my opinion for all 5 to be in the Hall because to be honest they were the best at their position during that decade and other than Tarkenton, who put up some crazy numbers, they were all very comparable to each other. They all benefited from being on great teams and they all made their teams better.

I remember my 7th grade teacher was a Raiders fan and for some reason I remember this stat he gave me.. not sure why, but he said Stabler had a 10 yard per attempt average.. best in the league. Every time he passed the ball, he got a first down.... when you consider a 50% completion rate, every time he completed a pass it was for 20 yards.. not sure why I remember such an off the wall comment from him.. i suppose it was a math class.. i went to a small school and my teacher taught every class I had. We didn't even swap class rooms.. just sat in the same room all day long and the teacher simply changed subject books!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
When you think about the great QBs and teams from the 70s you have the following;
Steelers and Bradshaw
Cowboys and Staubach
Griese and Dolphins
Tarkenton and Vikings
Stabler and Raiders

No one else really sticks out. It would be fitting, at least in my opinion for all 5 to be in the Hall because to be honest they were the best at their position during that decade and other than Tarkenton, who put up some crazy numbers, they were all very comparable to each other. They all benefited from being on great teams and they all made their teams better.

I remember my 7th grade teacher was a Raiders fan and for some reason I remember this stat he gave me.. not sure why, but he said Stabler had a 10 yard per attempt average.. best in the league. Every time he passed the ball, he got a first down.... when you consider a 50% completion rate, every time he completed a pass it was for 20 yards.. not sure why I remember such an off the wall comment from him.. i suppose it was a math class.. i went to a small school and my teacher taught every class I had. We didn't even swap class rooms.. just sat in the same room all day long and the teacher simply changed subject books!
Those stats on Stabler are more than a bit wrong.

His lifetime stats show

games/completions/attempts/yards/yds per gm/pct/TDs/long/INTs/qb rating
NFL Career Totals 184 2,270 3,793 27,938 151.8 59.8 194 88 222 75.3

He did get more than 10 yds per completion, but not per attempt. He threw a lot of interceptions (more than TDs). And his overall QB rating is rather average.

Ken Stabler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I liked Stabler. But I don't include him in the category of "NFL greats."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football