Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:46 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,515,600 times

Advertisements

This makes far too much sense for the NCAA to ever consider it.

>>>>>
WESTERN
Hawaii
USC
UCLA
California
Stanford
San Diego State
San Jose State
Fresno State
Nevada
UNLV
Portland State
Oregon State
Oregon
Washington
Washington State
Eastern Washington

MOUNTAIN
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
Idaho State
Boise State
Wyoming
Colorado
Colorado State
Air Force
BYU
Utah
Utah State
Arizona
Arizona State
New Mexico
New Mexico State

SOUTHERN
Houston
Baylor
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Texas
UTEP
SMU
TCU
North Texas
Tulsa
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Arkansas
LSU
Louisiana Tech
Tulane

CENTRAL
North Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Missouri State
Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northern Illinois
Northwestern

MIDWEST
Purdue
Indiana
Notre Dame
Ball State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Michigan
Ohio State
Ohio
Toledo
Miami OH
Cincinnati
Western Kentucky
Kentucky
Louisville

SOUTHEASTERN
Southern Miss
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Troy
UAB
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia State
Georgia Tech
Georgia
Florida
Florida State
Miami FL
Florida International
Central Florida
South Florida

EASTERN
Clemson
South Carolina
East Carolina
Wake Forest
Duke
North Carolina
NC State
Tennessee
Memphis
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech
Virginia
West Virginia
Marshall
Maryland
Navy

NORTHEASTERN
Penn State
Pittsburg
Temple
Villinova
Georgetown
Delaware
Rutgers
Army
Syracuse
Buffalo
U Conn
Rhode Island
U Mass
Boston College
New Hampshire
Maine
<<<<<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,605 times
Not that there's any chance of it happening, but it's just crazy to split the SEC and not have them all in one conference...the only part that makes sense is maybe splitting off the relative newcomers like Arkansas and South Carolina, but not having LSU or Tennessee with the other SEC schools?

Having Kentucky basically join the B1G schools also might work a little bit just because of basketball.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM

48 posts, read 73,110 times
Haha, Georgia Tech and Miami in the SEC? No way.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:10 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,925,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty23 View Post
Haha, Georgia Tech and Miami in the SEC? No way.
Same thing said about A&M going to the SEC.... but it happened.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 PM

48 posts, read 73,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Same thing said about A&M going to the SEC.... but it happened.
A&M probably going to regret making that move. I'm going to miss the Texas vs Texas A&M rivalries.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Someone who is more familiar can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the issue with both Miami and Ga Tech is that certain current SEC members want to keep them out, so it's safe to say they probably will never be in the SEC. With A&M nobody cared since I don't think there were any political considerations the way there would be with Ga Tech or Miami.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,898,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Someone who is more familiar can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the issue with both Miami and Ga Tech is that certain current SEC members want to keep them out, so it's safe to say they probably will never be in the SEC. With A&M nobody cared since I don't think there were any political considerations the way there would be with Ga Tech or Miami.

There's no politics involved with Miami because its a private school... That's Florida State. Which unless hell freezes over is not getting in the SEC because of Florida.

And there's no politics involved with Tech... UGA is not blocking them, as they pose no real threat to UGA. The SEC just doesn't want a school who's home is the heart of the conference's geographical base. Atlanta, GA... the biggest city in the Southeast! Plus there's that old riff between Bobby Dodd and some buy named Mr. Paul "Bear" Bryant that lead to Tech leaving the SEC... look it up if you guys are not familar with it.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Oops, I stand corrected on that one then. I think I did have Miami mixed up with FSU.

It does sound like some people in the SEC do want to keep Tech out, though, just not the same people or for the same reasons I thought.

Funny thing about Bryant is that if not for WWII he would have coached at Arkansas. Wonder how that would have turned out....

Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,898,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Oops, I stand corrected on that one then. I think I did have Miami mixed up with FSU.

It does sound like some people in the SEC do want to keep Tech out, though, just not the same people or for the same reasons I thought.

Funny thing about Bryant is that if not for WWII he would have coached at Arkansas. Wonder how that would have turned out....
very true...

We would probably be hearing a lot more of that stupid sooie chant from Arkansas.

wait... we hear a stupid roll tide one now from Alabama.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,925,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

- Name: Mountain Western Athletic Conference (The MW. MWC + WAC)
- # of schools: 12
- Divisions: Geographic
- Championship Game:University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, AZ)

The Mountain West was looking to expand because their heavy hitters had all left, but found that several schools were taken and didn't know where else to turn. Good thing for them (and horrible for the other), the WAC basically became extinct. So, to save some face for the old league, the Mountain West decided to call on a combination of their programs and leftovers from the WAC. With the merger agreed upon from both parties, the Mountain Western Athletic Conference (or simply just "The MW") was born, with Denver fielding their first football team in the later part of the 2010s.
Closer to reality. . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football