Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 03:52 PM

63 posts, read 107,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I know why they are more stable than the Big12, Big East, and ACC.

But why do u think they are more stable than the PAC12... And more importantly the SEC?
A: Big Ten was formed in 1896, only Chicago left in 1946 when they dropped athletics. MSU was admitted in 1950 to replace them. PSU was added in 1990 and it took another 21 years to add Nebraska. Basketball is strong in most schools, playing in 5 national championships since 2000 winning one; six national champions since 1976. They will not add another school that is not an AAU member.

B: PAC 12 was formed in 1915, Idaho and Montana departed in the 1950's. Oregon, OSU, and WSU departed and were readmitted. ASU and Arizona admitted in 1978 from the WAC. Colorado and Utah admitted in 2011. Basketball has struggled recently. Academics very important to some members but not all.

C:SEC was formed in 1932, Sewanee, GT, and Tulane left the conference. Arkansas, and South Carolina admitted in 1991, Missouri and Texas A&M this year. Basketball is a strong in Kentucky and Florida seven NCAA champions since 1978. Academics seem to be an afterthought to most schools not in Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 04:05 PM

922 posts, read 1,699,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaebie View Post
They will not add another school that is not an AAU member.

The fact that they added Nebraska kills this rumor. It was well known that they were going to lose their
AAU status before they joined the conference.

Last edited by DtX4415; 05-26-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times
Quote:
A: Big Ten was formed in 1896, only Chicago left in 1946 when they dropped athletics. MSU was admitted in 1950 to replace them. PSU was added in 1990 and it took another 21 years to add Nebraska. Basketball is strong in most schools, playing in 5 national championships since 2000 winning one; six national champions since 1976. They will not add another school that is not an AAU member.

B: PAC 12 was formed in 1915, Idaho and Montana departed in the 1950's. Oregon, OSU, and WSU departed and were readmitted. ASU and Arizona admitted in 1978 from the WAC. Colorado and Utah admitted in 2011. Basketball has struggled recently. Academics very important to some members but not all.

C:SEC was formed in 1932, Sewanee, GT, and Tulane left the conference. Arkansas, and South Carolina admitted in 1991, Missouri and Texas A&M this year. Basketball is a strong in Kentucky and Florida seven NCAA champions since 1978. Academics seem to be an afterthought to most schools not in Knoxville.
Vandy is in Nashville... funny you would be wrong on geography considering you were trying to make fun of academics. Staying with academics... There are no conferences for academics. They are conferences for athletics ONLY! Thats why they are called athletic conferences not academic conferences.

But regardless of that... None of what you said speaks to stability. When a conference was formed and how many championships they compete in basketball is horrible criteria. I also noticeable that when u spoke of the Big10 you use the entire conference... But you spoke of specific schools in the SEC. Like the rest of the SEC hasn't competed or won titles in basketball.

And it was convenient of you to leave out baseball which the Pac12 and SEC dominate.

bottom line is all three conferences are stable. None more than the others.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:22 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,348,667 times
Quote:
Vandy is in Nashville... funny you would be wrong on geography considering you were trying to make fun of academics. Staying with academics... There are no conferences for academics. They are conferences for athletics ONLY! Thats why they are called athletic conferences not academic conferences.

But regardless of that... None of what you said speaks to stability. When a conference was formed and how many championships they compete in basketball is horrible criteria. I also noticeable that when u spoke of the Big10 you use the entire conference... But you spoke of specific schools in the SEC. Like the rest of the SEC hasn't competed or won titles in basketball.

And it was convenient of you to leave out baseball which the Pac12 and SEC dominate.

Very good response. I, for now, live in Big10 country and cannot stand when people think it is the end all and be all of conferences. Last national championship, 2002. Last basketball championship, 2000. Go SEC!!!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:10 PM

63 posts, read 107,720 times
Quote:

My mistake on Vanderbilt. I am not from the south nor in academics,

The conferences are of universities and academics should always trump athletics which they don't. Money always comes first, even the Big Ten but at least they utilize the CIC for their members and Chicago.

The Big Ten dominates hockey and I did not mention that. Baseball dominates in all the schools in the south, not the north. Not sure why except that they have to start training later due to weather.

You asked about stability, not football strength, which the SEC lately leads in.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,409 times
SEC seems pretty stable to me. Their expansion is not like the Big 12 expansion where schools have left and replacements are needed.

And also...of course the Big 10 would dominate in hockey, since none of the other conferences even have hockey teams. I think even then, though, there are schools from outside the conference that do really well in hockey. Big 10 isn't exactly the SEC of college hockey--I just looked up the records for hockey championships, and although Michigan is the #1 slot, most of the schools in the top five [which is more than five since several schools have tied for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.] are not even Big 10 schools, it seems like schools like Denver, North Dakota, etc. are just as strong in hockey as the Big 10.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,806 times
Quote:

The conferences are of universities and academics should always trump athletics which they don't. Money always comes first, even the Big Ten but at least they utilize the CIC for their members and Chicago.

The Big Ten dominates hockey and I did not mention that. Baseball dominates in all the schools in the south, not the north. Not sure why except that they have to start training later due to weather.

You asked about stability, not football strength, which the SEC lately leads in.
I'm sure the B1G is very proud to have someone like you defending them...
You mention the importance of academics when it is convenient for your B1G argument... Then turn around and say you are not an academic when you cannot back up your statements.

And If u are gonna bring up hockey... Then Track & Field, Lacrosse, Soccer, Cross-Country, Rowing, Volleyball, etc... All need to be brought up. But I made it clear that i do not believe winning makes a conference stable so bringing them up is really a moot point.

O and just for safe measure... I never mentioned football, once!

And to think that i thought the Big12 fans had taken over the most narcissistic and obnoxious fans title... Boy was I wrong!

Last edited by Mr. GE; 05-26-2012 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
Quote:

>>>>>
The Big Ten dominates hockey and I did not mention that.
<<<<<

And this is relevant because.....

Old 05-27-2012, 06:49 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
SEC seems pretty stable to me. Their expansion is not like the Big 12 expansion where schools have left and replacements are needed.

And also...of course the Big 10 would dominate in hockey, since none of the other conferences even have hockey teams. I think even then, though, there are schools from outside the conference that do really well in hockey. Big 10 isn't exactly the SEC of college hockey--I just looked up the records for hockey championships, and although Michigan is the #1 slot, most of the schools in the top five [which is more than five since several schools have tied for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.] are not even Big 10 schools, it seems like schools like Denver, North Dakota, etc. are just as strong in hockey as the Big 10.
Big 10 hockey does not exist. Never has.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,963 times
Quote:

The CIC spends $7 BILLION per year on academic research.

The Big Ten will not spend even a billion on all sports combined in a year.

Academic money is where it's at. Not athletics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football