Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,520,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Nope---- ND has got to join the Big East Football conference, or they'll kick them out in every other sport!

It is really dumb of the Big East to allow ND to do that in football anyway!
I think if they are forced to join a conference they might do that, but there is still the question of Big East conference stability. It will be interesting if they do offer an ultimatum to ND on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM

6,097 posts, read 9,135,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I think if they are forced to join a conference they might do that, but there is still the question of Big East conference stability. It will be interesting if they do offer an ultimatum to ND on this.
The Big East is too connected in every other sport, that the conference would be crazy to break up football. If some teams leave, that just opens the door for others to join. Some 2nd tier team like ECU will find a great home here. Plus its not like the conference has gotten weaker in the past two years, WVU and Pitt are very strong now and will turn some heads this year.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
The Big East is too connected in every other sport, that the conference would be crazy to break up football. If some teams leave, that just opens the door for others to join. Some 2nd tier team like ECU will find a great home here. Plus its not like the conference has gotten weaker in the past two years, WVU and Pitt are very strong now and will turn some heads this year.
I was thinking about if there is the possibility of the split between the football and non-football memebers. One issue is that total membership is 16 at this point for all non-football sports could they add more teams without losing any?

One issue that makes them shaky is the BCS requires a certain number of teams to have played with each other a minunum number of years or else the conference loses an AQ-status.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 PM

6,097 posts, read 9,135,629 times
Quote:
I was thinking about if there is the possibility of the split between the football and non-football memebers. One issue is that total membership is 16 at this point for all non-football sports could they add more teams without losing any?

One issue that makes them shaky is the BCS requires a certain number of teams to have played with each other a minunum number of years or else the conference loses an AQ-status.
That's true, if a team were to join the Big East in Football, they'd have to join in everything else and the Big E is already at max capacity.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
That's true, if a team were to join the Big East in Football, they'd have to join in everything else and the Big E is already at max capacity.
That is why any new members would likely split the conference. It might almost be necessary to survive as an AQ-conference if they start getting picked apart to expand now. Since there is the idea to invite everyone leftover in the Big XII if (likely when) it collapses they need to have enough teams that don't get taken to have played long enough together.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,511,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Why does every one think that TCU is gonna move? Least of all to the Big East and that crazy travel budget?

They have a better chance of running the table where they are now.

I think the MWC is a decent conference with potential to improve. National players with TCU and Boise State, decent teams in Fresno State, Air Force and Nevada. SDSU and UNLV COULD fill out the upper half of the conference if their coaches fufill their promises.
The payout per team in the MWC is 1.5 million a year. And it not ever going to get an auto BCS bid. Never. If it goes to a playoff the MWC will be left out also.

The Big East payout per team is 5 million, I believe. But, the last tv contract was signed right after VaTech and them left. It was questionable if they were going to survive. Look for them to get a much better deal this time.

TCU wants a BCS conference. No one else will take them. Big East needs to add a legit school or two in case the Big Ten takes Rutgers. Which is likely to happen. They will figure a way to work out the travel. Hawaii and LaTEch have done it. Idaho was once in the Sun Belt. It can be done.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Nope---- ND has got to join the Big East Football conference, or they'll kick them out in every other sport!

It is really dumb of the Big East to allow ND to do that in football anyway!
No way in hell Notre Dame will join the BE in football. If they ever join a conference it is likely to be the ACC. Outside of geography they have nothing in common with the Big Ten. They "fit" much better with the ACC.

I'd say Notre Dame remains independent for the next 50 years. At least.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
That is why any new members would likely split the conference. It might almost be necessary to survive as an AQ-conference if they start getting picked apart to expand now. Since there is the idea to invite everyone leftover in the Big XII if (likely when) it collapses they need to have enough teams that don't get taken to have played long enough together.

Couldn't the private basketball schools like Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns just leave the Big East and form their own conference. It worked out great for them last time.

That would free up room for teams like Missouri and Iowa State and the other Big 12 rejects.

Plus, it would make the Big East more of a cohesive conference. Right now it's a bunch of small private religious schools that have great academics and great basketball mixed with large state schools with questionable academics (except Rutgers). I think that would be better for all schools concerned if they split.

P.S. I'm a Villanova grad. Hence the "questionable" academics remark.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Couldn't the private basketball schools like Villanova, Georgetown, St Johns just leave the Big East and form their own conference. It worked out great for them last time.

That would free up room for teams like Missouri and Iowa State and the other Big 12 rejects.

Plus, it would make the Big East more of a cohesive conference. Right now it's a bunch of small private religious schools that have great academics and great basketball mixed with large state schools with questionable academics (except Rutgers). I think that would be better for all schools concerned if they split.

P.S. I'm a Villanova grad. Hence the "questionable" academics remark.
I do think the split you mentioned is likely and then both halves can expand with like-minded schools.

For the football half to survive they then have to add some teams now and hope nothing happens for 5 years after due to BCS rules. The ones they likely would add is a combination of UCF, Memphis, ECU. One issue is the idea of Big XII rejects is that they can't count on those since some might not be in play and it would be the most important ones at that.

One issue I have always wondered is that the idea of schools like Kansas and especially Missouri being left behind in superconferences seems a bit overstated. One reason being that the main goals for expansion is new markets and potential long-term oppurtunities. My guess is that both schools actually depending on scenarios have the largest number of conferences they wind up in.

I do think some of the ideas of the BCS never giving any non-AQ conferecne AQ status if they earn it seems a bit off. If that was tried they would get hit with so many lawsuits and congressional investigations it isn't funny. Also have to consider that using the same criteria at least one current AQ conference wouldn't qualify anymore.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
No way in hell Notre Dame will join the BE in football. If they ever join a conference it is likely to be the ACC. Outside of geography they have nothing in common with the Big Ten. They "fit" much better with the ACC.

I'd say Notre Dame remains independent for the next 50 years. At least.

This is what I am thinking with Notre Dame and that if pressured to join a conference they run to the ACC. One reason is that they want to have a more national schedule and not play mostly in the Midwest, doing this lets them play in a wider range of markets. They are likely wanting to play more games in areas of the South with booming Catholic populations to try to get some recruits there fearing demographic issues closer to home is hurting them. This part really is true if the SEC doesn't take the 4 Southernmost ACC teams in the future which I am thinking they won't go there first due to no new markets. (they will look outside their footprint first starting with A&M) Also there is the fact that the ACC has several private schools in their membership. A big final reason will be they go this route as a means of spiting the Big Ten since one of the reasons that is often stated for Big Ten expansion is to pressure the Irish.

I think you are right that they stay independant long term, BYU's actions sealed it since it allows them to dig in. Also I mentioned it might start someone like Texas to look towards that route too. I am thinking it is possible we start having more independants again. Also if Texas is off the table which might mean Oklahoma is as well, what would the PAC do if they have to expand to 16 teams in the future? Does anyone have an idea of who the four schools are if UT and OU are not available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football