Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 AM

228 posts, read 601,033 times

Advertisements

Virginia Beach Field House

Can we get one of these here, please? I am in love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
sure. you get the money, give it to me, and i will see what i can do.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
sure. you get the money, give it to me, and i will see what i can do.
:-)

Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I'd have to disagree. I lived in Craven Co. and I felt about it the way the OP feels about Greenville. And I was told to stay OUT of Onslow Co. and Jacksonville when I lived down that way. Never heard anything bad about Carteret though.
You can disagree and have whatever opinion you want. Thee conimic impact of the bases are undisputed. without them the aforementioned areas of NC would like the black hole that the rest of of the highway 17 corridor is north of New Bern. Plus how long ago did you live in the area? Was it a time when Court Street was a place of infamy?

People who actually live in the area, though not from it, seem to enjoy it just fine,

https://www.city-data.com/forum/16348599-post7.html

I've read your previous posts on New Bern, your issues stemmed more from cultural differences and the insular nature of the community for your age group at the time. also from your posts you either were so long ago nothing existed or you simply weren't aware of what was in the area. I agree, though, New Bern is definitely a family oriented place, and the impact of Cherry Point is more pronounced on the east side of the county and MHC, but to say there are no "major job producing companies" in the area is just inaccurate.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
But, this past weekend I spent the whole weekend in Va Beach. Was able to go see a musical, go to the Virginia Aquarium, hang out at the beach, do a kettle bell class, go to the Virginia Beach Field House, have GOOD Greek food...all within a small area in the same weekend. And, notice, I only mentioned one food outing. Quite different here...
I lived in VB for 15 years (hoping to get back soon) and you might want to also try out nearby Norfolk. There they have a nautical museum (Nauticus), the Wisconsin moored next to it, a downtown mall (MacArthur Mall), restaurants on Granby Street as well as the Ghent area which is quite eclectic and quite walkable as well. Also fun to take the ferry from Waterside over to the Portsmouth side. Not much to do at either Waterside or Portsmouth at this time but the ride is quite fun I think.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,728 times
I went to college in Greenville and I agree with RunningNorm a whole lot. I tried to do stuff other than play beer pong and go to Rumors to watch people drink themselves into a coma, and it was often hard to find stuff. You gotta really be content with a small-town vibe, even though Greenville isn't that small, population and size wise.

And the music scene there is basically college kids playing guitar on their porch. It was on its way downhill very fast the last year I lived there. Tipsy Teapot is the only hope left.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
You can disagree and have whatever opinion you want. Thee conimic impact of the bases are undisputed. without them the aforementioned areas of NC would like the black hole that the rest of of the highway 17 corridor is north of New Bern. Plus how long ago did you live in the area? Was it a time when Court Street was a place of infamy?
Quote:

People who actually live in the area, though not from it, seem to enjoy it just fine,

I've read your previous posts on New Bern, your issues stemmed more from cultural differences and the insular nature of the community for your age group at the time. also from your posts you either were so long ago nothing existed or you simply weren't aware of what was in the area. I agree, though, New Bern is definitely a family oriented place, and the impact of Cherry Point is more pronounced on the east side of the county and MHC, but to say there are no "major job producing companies" in the area is just inaccurate.

In regards to MY comments: when I mentioned Onslow county, I was referring to YOUR comment: "you don't here as much negative about Craven, Carteret, and Onslow as you do the rest of Eastern NC." The reason *I* disagreed is because when I was there, as I said, I was told by more than one person to stay out of Onslow Co. and Jacksonville. Whether they are right or wrong is debatable but that's what I was told, so in MY EXPERIENCE, yes, I "heard" about Onslow.

In regard to my comments about business moving to the area, it was in response to this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I agree they should focus more on the Young Professional. Try to keep the graduates from ECU here and draw more in from different schools. But you need a big company to pull people here. Then fringe businesses, like better restaurants will come. I think one of the "best" things Greenville could do, is to find a decent sized company to either plop their HQ, or if it is a bigger company, a regional HQ or something downtown. That would instantly put (I would hope 1,000+) people downtown daily. That would spur more positive development.

A regional bank or a nice biotech company could do wonders. Give them some tax incentives and we'll receive better infrastructure and more "follow along" businesses
This poster was referring more to a "different" kind of company other than gov't or tourism, such as some corporate headquarters. It is my opinion that a business of THIS type could add a shot in the arm to the entire region, and my comment was based on this. Perhaps I wasn't clear.

As for my opinions, yes, you are correct, and it seems as if the OP is having a similar experience. There is not much for an early twenties person to do, and it may not appeal to that age group, that we can all agree on.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfm0722 View Post
I went to college in Greenville and I agree with RunningNorm a whole lot. I tried to do stuff other than play beer pong and go to Rumors to watch people drink themselves into a coma, and it was often hard to find stuff. You gotta really be content with a small-town vibe, even though Greenville isn't that small, population and size wise.

And the music scene there is basically college kids playing guitar on their porch. It was on its way downhill very fast the last year I lived there. Tipsy Teapot is the only hope left.
Yes, thank God for Tipsy Teapot! Winslow's has brought in some live music, which has been good. Although they really need a better staging area for it. But, downtown has SO MUCH potential if the derelict stores would be sent away, the "better" (using this word loosely) clubs seriously upgraded, the rest of the more dodgy ones shut down. But, downtown needs to attract some anchor type stores/businesses.

And, the non stop string of new restaurants needs to stop. I have shared previously on all the things the area/town needs...really needs...if they want to keep my demographic here.

But, between college and married with children this town is a black-hole of despair...which is why you see so many mid 30's still stuck in frat boy/sorority girl/college kid mode...there is no where else for them to go as a single adult...so, they stay planted in what they know...until marriage and kids bumps them to the next level...which for this town means they stop living for themselves and start living as a spectator to their kid's life...ugh.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,823 times
Quote:

No, the statement was not inaccurate. There are not MAJOR JOB PRODUCING COMPANIES in New Bern. There may be a few in Kinston, but not here.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
citygirl83 - I feel your pain...I guess it is hard for others to understand if they have not experienced what we have. And, I DO COMMEND, the folks who continue to put their faith in this town. I Do.

I find myself going to Raleigh and Va Beach regularly to keep my self sane until I am able to move.

But, even, the other day, I went to see the US Women's Soccer team play Japan in Cary. It was awesome - went with friends. But, by the time the match was done, I was beat...and still had an hour and a half ride back here...put a damper on the night.

But, this past weekend I spent the whole weekend in Va Beach. Was able to go see a musical, go to the Virginia Aquarium, hang out at the beach, do a kettle bell class, go to the Virginia Beach Field House, have GOOD Greek food...all within a small area in the same weekend. And, notice, I only mentioned one food outing. Quite different here...

I recommend, for sanity, that you and the husband do some weekends away as regularly as you can. Find friends all over and take turns hosting each other to make it more cost effective.

Cheers and good luck with everything!
I am originally from Cary and was forced to move to New Bern over three years ago. If you think that Greenville is bad, try living here. I am 30 years old and find it rather difficult living in this region. What a terrible place to live/die. It has sucked the life out of me for far too long. I too am looking forward to leaving this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina