Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,491 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are also moving to greenville for the fall as she is going to start teaching at ECU. What we have been told is that Winterville is a nice area, but as far as the crime rates I am not sure, I hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM

451 posts, read 1,920,978 times
Based on data from this website (city-data itself), Winterville has a lower crime rate than Greenville.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 11,854 times
As a local land broker, I can make a suggestion that might be worth looking into for anyone moving to this area. We have seen a high level of interest in the area of Washington, due to proximity to Greenville.

Map of Washington, North Carolina by MapQuest

Washington is a quaint waterfront town about 20 minutes from Greenville. It's recently been dubbed the 'heart of the Inner Banks (IBX), NC'. Strong sense of community there. Close enough to commute, and central to some other waterfront areas, too. (new bern, bath, aurora, etc.)

I'm quite partial to being near the water,if you are interested, here is a website worth looking at:

About Washington North Carolina | Inner Banks NC | Bath NC | Greenville | Visit North Carolina | Washington NC Vacations

Sorry, I can't provide more accurate data about the crime rates, than what would be posted here in city-data. My suggestion would be to visit the areas and talk to some neighbors to get a feel for safety, etc.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 16,971 times
My husband and I are also moving to Greenville for him to work on his graduate degree. The realtor that the director of his program put us in touch with has been really good and knowledgeable. He is solely an agent for buyers as well. We are actually looking at the University area which is around Chatham Circle. I spent the past week exploring the neighborhood and didnt have any problems. I asked one of girls who goes to school at ecu about living around there and she has a house on library street she said she has never had a problem and she felt safe in the neighborhood. Hope this helps!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 AM

228 posts, read 603,584 times
View Greenville, NC Subdivision - Lynndale

I recommend Lynndale, if you are going to live in Greenville. It is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the area.

As for Greenville itself, don't go to West Greenville or north of the river, if you don't have to. Don't go out late at night on foot downtown. Be sure your home has a security system. Never leave anything valuable out and visible in your car...it will be stolen. Don't leave anything out on your lawn not chained down...it will be stolen.

If you are a runner, do not run between 1st and 4th streets downtown, in West Greenville, or north of the river. Join the Google running group when you get here and run in groups.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM

150 posts, read 353,034 times
I agree that Lynndale is the nicest section, but it's probably not doable on a graduate student stipend or new faculty salary (depending on the discipline).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina