Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,066,208 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I had business in New Bern and had a little time to peruse downtown. Today I was investigating a couple of properties in Emerald Isle. New Bern & Emerald Isle are completely different. Both are great. There is no simple description of coastal NC.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 AM

3 posts, read 12,187 times
Yes, there is....boring. After living here for five years I can't wait to get out. We live 3 miles from Emerald Isle. Tourists are a nightmare, night life is non existant, no shopping, restaurants are awful and people are not friendly. It was our dream to live here but has turned into a nightmare. Can't be on the beach 24/7 and there is nothing else to do here. If you like the very quiet life, this is your place.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 AM

713 posts, read 3,956,025 times
Smile I beg to disagree

I live just a little farther from Emerald Isle, and I would have to disagree with you on almost all accounts. We look forward to the tourists coming each year. They do not all come at once, and most love the area as much as we do.

If you came here looking for night clubs and lots of night life, you picked the wrong place. However, this is one of the most beautiful areas on the east coast, and there is plenty to do here.

We lived in Columbia, MD for a few years. Though it was only twenty or so miles to either Washington, DC or Baltimore, MD, we found it very hard to do things because of traffic. Just going to the Air and Space Museum required a lot of planning.

While we might not have an Air & Space Museum, we do have some wonderful places like the Maritime Museum in Beaufort, the Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores, and Fort Macon. There are some great places for hiking, and of course when the weather warms up there is fishing, kayaking, boating, and swimming. The access to all of that is better than you will find almost anywhere.

As to shopping, we find all we need in Morehead City from Belks and TJ Maxx to Best Buy. We do have to go to Jacksonville for Target, but that is not a big deal. I lived within ten minutes of Tyson Corner in Northern Virginia for years so I have seen all the shopping that is out there. I just don't need a Macy's or a Nordstrom's to survive. There are plenty of great small shops in the area, and it is not like Raleigh or Wilmington is on the other side of the world.

We have had visitors come to visit us both when we were living in Columbia, MD and here near Emerald Isle. I know for a fact that the ones who came to Emerald Isle had a better time. This is a wonderful place to live and visit.

Significant tourists are only here for six to eight weeks a year. The fact that we are a tourist destination allows us to have more services than we would have without them. They also keep our economy afloat.

This is a small town area, I think that is the way the area is advertised. No one tries to pretend that we are Myrtle Beach. Most of us living here would rather not be living in Myrtle Beach.

We chose this area for the quiet beaches, the beautiful scenery, great water access and for the friendly people. The longer I live here the more friendly people that I meet. We found a great church, and I have some terrific friends among the people where I work. It isn't too hard to find a fishing buddy around here.

When the tourists do come, the only adjustments that we make are to do our main grocery shopping from Monday through Wednesday, and we usually try to avoid a lot of the Island restaurants during the popular hours. Other than that life goes on as normal. I might limit my boating to the White Oak on the Fourth of July, but that is about it.

To anyone who has seen real traffic, what we have here does not even register. As to restaurants, I would argue that we have some of the best small restaurants on the coast. I had a fantastic piece of flounder with some oysters at T&W on Saturday night. I cook great flounder at home, and T&W was pretty close that night. I have never had better grouper than what I can get at Riverside in Swansboro. As far as I am concerned there is no better place to catch a nice lunch than the Fairway in Cape Carteret.

I hope you find what you want, but you should realize that many people have found exactly what they want on the Crystal Coast.

Last edited by dsobotta; 02-23-2010 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: link need correcting

Old 05-07-2011, 06:14 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,262,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclindy View Post
Yes, there is....boring. After living here for five years I can't wait to get out. We live 3 miles from Emerald Isle. Tourists are a nightmare, night life is non existant, no shopping, restaurants are awful and people are not friendly. It was our dream to live here but has turned into a nightmare. Can't be on the beach 24/7 and there is nothing else to do here. If you like the very quiet life, this is your place.
I totally agree with this. There is absolutely nothing to do from New Bern to Emerald Isle, etc. My inlaws live in Emerals Isle, are born and raised in New Bern and if they make comments that there is nothing else there besides the beach then that means there really is nothing else there.

Why are NC beaches not more like Florida beaches where there are attractions, fine dining, etc?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 PM

720 posts, read 1,719,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Why are NC beaches not more like Florida beaches where there are attractions, fine dining, etc?
The Florida beaches (and Myrtle Beach) are there for all those who want the attractions, etc. The NC beaches are there for the rest of us who want the simple beauty of nature, and a peaceful oasis. Something for everyone.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,523,338 times
Agree with the second poster. Eastern NC is boring. I grew up there. Most boring region I've ever lived in.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,066,208 times
Why does someone come to the beach? Is it for the attractions or is it for the beach? Attractions can be found anywhere. Clean pristine beaches with great boating, fishing, swimming, etc. can not.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM

I'm sorry, I thought I was normal and after a full day of being at the beach I would like to have the option of having a fine dining meal. Also, I thought that if I took my children to the beach it would also be nice to have other options of going on ride go-carts, movies, etc.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,942,630 times
wow, was the topic that challenging for people?

coastal NC is a big strip of land, on the ocean, that stretches for miles and miles. It is not synonymous with 'eastern NC' or 'Emerald Isle'.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
wow, was the topic that challenging for people?

coastal NC is a big strip of land, on the ocean, that stretches for miles and miles. It is not synonymous with 'eastern NC' or 'Emerald Isle'.
No, it wasn't challenging at all. The general population other than senior citizens whom live there described it as being boooooring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina