Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,985,174 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the posts about New Bern, Swansboro, and Beaufort and wondered if these areas are more for retirees or families raising children? I'm thinking in terms of year-round living as opposed to vacations. Can anyone give me an idea of the demographics?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,980,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I've been reading the posts about New Bern, Swansboro, and Beaufort and wondered if these areas are more for retirees or families raising children? I'm thinking in terms of year-round living as opposed to vacations. Can anyone give me an idea of the demographics?

Thanks!
Send a pm to our poster dsobotta - he is a wealth of info on this area

Old 04-21-2007, 06:23 AM

713 posts, read 3,940,927 times
We live in Cape Carteret and I know a fair amount about the area from Swansboro through Beaufort. It is a year around area with a good representation of young families and retirees.

I do think some neighborhoods have more kids than others and some have more older folks. As you get closer to the beach, it is a little more challenging to find a neighborhood where most of the people are around all of the time. Though I find Emerald Isle has far more year around residents than most beach communities so again it varies by neighborhood.

Most neighborhoods have some homes which families have bought as a second home. Sometimes, mom and the kids have moved here and dad is still working back in the big city. Other times they have made the break and are down here all the time.

Though there may be more, I only know of one over 55 only community and that's the Villages at Swansboro.

There are nine or ten young children in our subdivision of approximately 25 homes, but I know we have a new family moving in with two more young children. The subdivision across the road has far more children. The ice cream truck seems to make their area a regular stop.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

The demographics vary widely by community.
Newport is the default area for the western end of Carteret County, so if you don't fall into one of the small towns, you end up in Newport which stretches all the way to Route 70 over near Morehead City, a distance of nearly twenty miles.

You might check out some of the pictures of festivals that I have captured. In a very unscientific way, my guess is that what the area lacks most as a demographic is college age kids, but I think that is normal given we don't have any major colleges in the area.

Emerald Isle Saint Patrick's Day festival

Newport Pig Cook Off festival

Swansboro Oyster Roast festival

I'll be glad to try to answer other questions. You can communicate directly with me at dsobotta@coastalnc.org .

You can also visit my site Coastal Paradise for more information.

There are area pictures at my Picasa Web Albums site

Good luck finding a spot that fits your needs. Let me know if I can help.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:03 AM..

Old 04-21-2007, 08:44 AM

713 posts, read 3,940,927 times
Forgot The Swansboro Oyster Roast url

Old 04-21-2007, 02:08 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,985,174 times
Thank you so much! Great pictures! By the way, I think my title shoulda read Crystal Coast, eh? And its Emerald Isle? Somehow I've missed that whole stretch of NC on my travels up and down the coast. We usually seem to land in the Outer Banks and then Myrtle Beach, SC. Thanks, again.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:58 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,046,274 times
The "Crystal Coast" is very diverse, with half of our beaches running north/south-The other run east to west. It is composed of 1064 square miles with half of that being water. The Crystal Coast has 82 miles of ocean beaches.
A great web site to stay informed of all of the news and events along coastal North Carolina: http://www.nccoastalnews.com (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina