Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,215 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a vacation to Wilmington and here is what I observed as an outsider.... I really liked Wilmington. It was clean and the people I met were friendly. The layout was a little strange with stores layered behind each other which made it a little hard to find things, but the streets were easily navagable. I have read on here about the traffic being bad, but being from a big city, it seemed fine to me. Wilmington is very interesting with all of its history. I never felt unsafe while there, but I knew the stats on crime in the area so I was mindful of it. I am wondering if there are some race relation issues in Wilmington. After reading the history of the town and seeing several signs and bumper stickers that made references at a need to repair some problems in this area I wondered what others take was on this.
We stayed at the Mainstay Suites and loved it there. Very reasonably priced, clean, spacious, and a good inbetween location for Wilmington and the beaches. I highly recommend staying there. Ate at Big Daddy's in Kure beach and it was ok but really liked Whiteys in Wilmington for breakfast. Old timey cafe that the owner of 40+ years visits the tables and speaks to his guests. Very nice man and a real piece of WIlmington history!
It rained terribly while we were there and the flooding was unbelievable! They closed roads and there was a car stranded with water up to its hood. Is this normal for the area? We were shocked to see it happen so fast.
Went to Fort Fisher beach and aquarium and loved it too. The beach there is so nice and free facilities and parking was awesome. Aquarium was very interesting and inexpensive, beautiful area.
Wrightsville beach was very pretty too and the town is so quaint. I would love to rent a place there sometime.
All and all I really enjoyed the area and wish I had more time to explore. I look forward to going back sometime and experiencing more of what it has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1969 View Post
I just returned from a vacation to Wilmington and here is what I observed as an outsider.... I really liked Wilmington. It was clean and the people I met were friendly. The layout was a little strange with stores layered behind each other which made it a little hard to find things, but the streets were easily navagable. I have read on here about the traffic being bad, but being from a big city, it seemed fine to me. Wilmington is very interesting with all of its history. I never felt unsafe while there, but I knew the stats on crime in the area so I was mindful of it.
Yes, it is a nice place.

For such a small area, there's a tremendous amount of migration and diversity. This can be good or bad.

Quote:
I am wondering if there are some race relation issues in Wilmington. After reading the history of the town and seeing several signs and bumper stickers that made references at a need to repair some problems in this area I wondered what others take was on this.
I noticed when I lived downtown that there are a lot of young, naive, liberal, white activists from out of state. I'm sure they mean well, but they don't understand the issues in the slightest, they don't really do anything about the issues that exist - but they do have lots of bumper stickers on their cars.

Wilmington does have a long, well-publicized and well-documented history of acute racial problems. I think the day-to-day reality is similar to anywhere else in America with a substantial black population.

Wilmington has a relatively small black community - the county is about 15% black, and shrinking. Most deep south counties are 25% - 50% black. So I would theorize that the black community is perhaps smaller and wields less influence than in some other places.

Quote:
It rained terribly while we were there and the flooding was unbelievable! They closed roads and there was a car stranded with water up to its hood. Is this normal for the area? We were shocked to see it happen so fast.
I believe that this past weekend was the 14th largest rain event in Wilmington history.

It is not common to have flooding of that severity, but at the same time, flooding should not come as a shock to any informed resident of the area. Upgrading the public drainage system costs a TON of money, and no one really wants to pay for it until the big storm comes, and they all complain, "Why didn't anybody DO anything?"

Quote:
Went to Fort Fisher beach and aquarium and loved it too. The beach there is so nice and free facilities and parking was awesome. Aquarium was very interesting and inexpensive, beautiful area.
Wrightsville beach was very pretty too and the town is so quaint. I would love to rent a place there sometime.
All and all I really enjoyed the area and wish I had more time to explore. I look forward to going back sometime and experiencing more of what it has to offer.
Awesome.

Last edited by le roi; 07-10-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM

311 posts, read 916,242 times
where is Whitey's?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
where is Whitey's?
Market @ Kerr, I believe.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 AM

551 posts, read 1,876,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
where is Whitey's?
On Market Street

Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,215 times
Thanks Rubber Factory. Sounds like we visited at an interesting time.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:53 PM

47 posts, read 109,730 times
Thanks so much for the input from your recent...or not so recent...vacation to Wilmington. What areas would you recommend staying in?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 PM

124 posts, read 558,428 times
In a sidenote,Whiteys ,if I'm not mistaken, is where basketballs Michael Jordan use to work while in high school.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,046 times
Thanks to all of you for your information. My husband and I are thinking of moving to NC to live and retire. The more info we have the better.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:58 PM

26 posts, read 82,655 times
Wilmington is a wonderful place to live. I lived their for about 4 years. My wife and I are looking into moving back someday.

To answer your racial question, its like everywhere else nowadays. its not that bad, but northeastern north carolina is a very racialy tense place from all parties, not just one, if you get my drift. I would advise staying in south eastern nc

Just know your areas in wilmington, try to stick to the beaches and watch where you go downtown, but generally it is a very nice place to visit and live which is kinda rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina