Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 04:19 PM

364 posts, read 528,713 times

Advertisements

I would like to get a general overview of New Bern. I know it is a small coastal community. What types of jobs are available, things to do and what is real estate like? A friend of a friend moved there from Raliegh and is working for a condo devolpment company. She says there are several million dollar plus real estate ventures for folks with 2 and 3 homes. Is there much of a middle class? And does this area tend to attract one particular age group?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 03:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalLabLvr View Post
I would like to get a general overview of New Bern. I know it is a small coastal community. What types of jobs are available, things to do and what is real estate like? A friend of a friend moved there from Raliegh and is working for a condo devolpment company. She says there are several million dollar plus real estate ventures for folks with 2 and 3 homes. Is there much of a middle class? And does this area tend to attract one particular age group?

Thanks!
Just giving this one a bump, as I would love to hear the answers to these questions myself

Old 04-11-2007, 03:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,588,133 times
I saw this post alot of info
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...light=new+bern

Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 PM

505 posts, read 2,545,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalLabLvr View Post

Thanks!
Does your screen name mean "lab" as in retriever? If so, you are right! They are the greatest dogs ever! I have two of them myself. One 7 years old, the other 15 years old. They love water...so they will love New Bern! I used to take my now 15 year old lab walking along the water front all the time in New Bern. She loved it! Great little city New Bern is.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,588,133 times
I want to rent a lab LMAO

I have a shetland sheltie and she thinks she is a cat!. She preps area outside for "buisness", bolts to another room for no reason, friendly then a hour later she in leave me alone mood, after 3 minutes in a car traveling she ready to go back home, and hates water in any format LOL

I would love to take her on my vaction at the OBX but I think she would be miserable.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 AM

40 posts, read 104,064 times
Default New Bern, without the sugarcoating

Don't let the advertising fool you. New Bern is a 297 year old town that never went anywhere due to its terrible location. The town lacks a good nightlife. Restaurant options are limited. Its "downtown" area is composed of a couple of blocks of mostly 19th century brick buildings with a drop of its earlier 18th century buildings. This I should point out, is the town's only interesting lure along with the rather plain looking replica of the British colonial governor's (and 1st government building) home which is regarded as a palace and named after the 2nd to last colonial governor, William Tryon. The miniscule "downtown" area is basically the city's facade. This small area has been reborn as a tourist catch with antique shops, boutiques and small private eateries, all of which appear to be privately owned and have odd hours of operation (i.e. closed on Sundays etc.)
The rest of the town surrounding the tiny "downtown" area is composed of old rotting neighborhoods w' a considerable low class black population which you'll always see walking around the streets like a scene out of a 3rd world country. (Warning: not a place to venture around at night)
In regards to jobs, there aren't many decent paying businesses in this town so good luck there. Chances are you'll have to commute outside as far 25 to 40 miles away for a decent job.
And as for the waterways, coming from S Fl, what a contrast: dark, murky and shallow tea colored waters (no chance of swimming here). The summers are hotter than S Fl (past 100 F), stale with no breeze. Expect a coating of yellow pollen on everything during the outbreak of spring. During this time, it doesn't pay to wash your vehicle since it'll receive a nice fresh coating of the yellow stuff as soon as you've finished ringing the towel. For those with allergies, you have been warned.
Winters aren't so bad. However, the worst aspect of living here, again if you like this sort of thing, is the feeling of isolation from the outside world as nothing really ever happens here. Its ideal for those retirees and others that seek such a lifestyle but beware, I was one of those seeking such a rift from the big city but after more than a year of living here, I'm counting the days until I leave this Godforsaken place. As one neighbor said to me before she moved away a few weeks ago after having spent 9 months here, "this place was sucking the life out of me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina