Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 07:42 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times

Advertisements

Where is the ECU Science building going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 08:37 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
At one point ECU wanted to use the warehouse they own on 10th St. as a science facility, but I don't know if that's what they still have in mind.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:40 PM

144 posts, read 190,063 times
Quote:
Officially, no location has been chosen yet, but according to the article and a previous statement by Niswander, the Tobacco District Millennial Campus is getting strong consideration.

The 2012 Master Plan would demolish Christenbury Memorial Gym and locate it there. I'm sure there are other possibilities, as well.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 07-31-2016 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 10:28 PM

181 posts, read 241,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
Officially, no location has been chosen yet, but according to the article and a previous statement by Niswander, the Tobacco District Millennial Campus is getting strong consideration.

The 2012 Master Plan would demolish Christenbury Memorial Gym and locate it there. I'm sure there are other possibilities, as well.
Another proposed location is in between Umstead Hall and the Science and Technology building where a maintenance building currently stands.

Personally, that's my favorite option -- it'd put a $90 million building where a huge eyesore along 10th St. currently stands.

I'd love Christenbury to stay standing, in hopes that one day it'll be properly preserved

Old 08-01-2016, 06:57 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
Maybe they just missed it, but I wonder why the Hilton Uptown wasn't listed in here.
It's there, but not mentioned by name. Probably because ECU isn't the one paying for it all.

• A planned $15 million hotel on the corner of Fourth and Reade streets, which will include a new East Carolina University alumni center.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:00 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
Another proposed location is in between Umstead Hall and the Science and Technology building where a maintenance building currently stands.

Personally, that's my favorite option -- it'd put a $90 million building where a huge eyesore along 10th St. currently stands.

I'd love Christenbury to stay standing, in hopes that one day it'll be properly preserved
Do you mean right on 10th Street, in that "wooded" area? I thought it's almost a wetland down there.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,646 times
Further west - the mail service building is there right now. Across the street from science & tech building.

Behind that is a cooling tower which I assume would be outrageously difficult to move.

Regarding the "wetland" area - I was told that many years ago, Green Mill Run was located there and they moved it across 10th street to its current location as a manmade drainage ditch basically. I don't know if it's true.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post

Completely agree. Take the maintenance building out and leave Christenbury to be renovated and re-purposed.

This puts a $90 million bldg. along the 10th St corridor and on main campus. Maintenance can move over by the Millenial campus.

I didn't see this mentioned, but isn't the 10th St corridor getting upgrades PAST the Evans intersection? I thought I had heard that. It needs a divided median with plantings in the middle (really all of the way to Elm St at least). What was done previously was a waste.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:54 AM

Update on 264 becoming an Interstate...

What will it take to get Greenville an interstate?

Quote: "And we have a road that’s almost built, 98% built to interstate standards so it would be the cheapest interstate in the country to do 30 miles at $30 million,”

You have to wonder about the process for stuff like this, seems there is no definitive criteria. Maybe once Greenville's population goes over 100K.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:04 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Update on 264 becoming an Interstate...

What will it take to get Greenville an interstate?

Quote: "And we have a road that’s almost built, 98% built to interstate standards so it would be the cheapest interstate in the country to do 30 miles at $30 million,”

You have to wonder about the process for stuff like this, seems there is no definitive criteria. Maybe once Greenville's population goes over 100K.
Greenville itself easily meets the criteria. The problem, if US-264 is to become an interstate to Raleigh, is that I-87 will need to be finished to at least the US-64/US-264 split in Zebulon, in order for US-264 to become an interstate spur of I-87 (I'll use I-287 as an example). US-64/US-264 is only interstate standard on the Knightdale Bypass.

Theoretically, US-264 could become a spur of I-95 from Wilson, but I think I-287 from Greenville to Raleigh (by way of I-87 from Zebulon to Raleigh), would be way more beneficial. Access to I-95 in Wilson is simply a bonus and almost everybody (I would hope) knows that there would be access to I-95 there. Plus, I doubt NCDOT would use an I-x95 for US-264 since they want traffic heading to I-95 and points north to use I-87 to make the I-95 connection in Rocky Mount. That's why I-495 in Raleigh is signed North-South rather than East-West.

Could US-264 become an interstate quicker by becoming a spur of I-95? Sure, but that's a short term fix. Personally, I'd rather Greenville push to have US-264 between Zebulon and Stantonsburg Road in Greenville becoming "Future I-x87". I think it's possible for a 3-digit to be "Future" without it's parent intertstate being complete. I-269 in Tennessee and Mississippi was the same way, IIRC.

NCDOT will also need to remove the signs on US-264 warning drivers of farm equipment using the highway. Farm equipment are banned from using Interstate Highways. The only exception is I-555 in Arkansas due to a provision passed by Congress.

Allen Thomas needs to be aware that if he wants the future interstate passed into law by Congress, it would likely face more scrutiny. I-87, I-42, and the extension of I-795 were easily approved by Congress primarily due to the military presence on those corridors. Greenville has neither the military nor a port. NCDOT would be better off doing it the old fashioned way by going through the FHWA like they did with the completed section of I-795. Their chances might be better, IMO.

Last edited by LM117; 08-03-2016 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina