Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 10:24 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times

Advertisements

City receives grant for sidewalks

Sidewalks along Red Banks Road between 14th Street and Charles Boulevard near E.B. Aycock Middle School were funded through the same program, according to Public Works Director Kevin Mulligan.

The new sidewalks are planned for the east side of Memorial Drive from Millbrook to Arlington Boulevard, the east side of Skinner Street, the north side of Fifth Street from Green Mill Run to Beech Street, and the north side of Norris Street.
The Daily Reflector

The North side of 5th St needed sidewalks there, ever since the South Tar River Greenway was completed. But I am sure St. Peter's isn't gonna like that news. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:48 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
There was a fire at the old Home Depot today. Expect a bit of a delay in the opening of Burlington Coat Factory, unless they pump a bunch of OT work into staying on schedule.
They report that the fire was confined to 2 dumpsters at the back of the building. Damage is just some smoke damage on the outside rear of the building. They still expect to be open on Nov. 1.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:17 AM

52 posts, read 96,924 times
THIS IS RANDOM... but does anyone know why Jeff Varner is not with WNCT anymore? I've seen reports that his mom is sick with breast cancer but still... Seems like there was no heads up or anything of his departure. Also, seems like WNCT cannot keep news anchors, weathermen, etc.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Twelve sweepstakes operations were officially notified some weeks ago by Police Chief Aden that they are offering illegal games and have October 1, to stop operating illegally.
_______

These are grimy/scummy places, and I am glad to see they are being forced out.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times
Quote:
THIS IS RANDOM... but does anyone know why Jeff Varner is not with WNCT anymore? I've seen reports that his mom is sick with breast cancer but still... Seems like there was no heads up or anything of his departure. Also, seems like WNCT cannot keep news anchors, weathermen, etc.
Haven't noticed, but my general opinion is WNCT is terrible. I feel bad for Brian Bailey, David Sawyer & Dontae jones who seems to be the only decent reporters / anchors at that station. Their parent company really doesn't seem to want to invest any money in the station based on their building appearance, the constant revolving door, the quality of reporters they hire & the state of their set that looks second class to WITN now. I'm not sure how to expect to pull in ratings when you won't invest in it.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:41 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
I don't ever watch them so I don't know what the on air appearance is like but to be fair otherwise - they have done a lot of work to their building and property over the last year. It actually looks really nice. I don't know if they got a new manager, or if the corporate accountants decided to open up the purse strings a bit or what.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:07 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
they have done a lot of work to their building and property over the last year. It actually looks really nice. I don't know if they got a new manager, or if the corporate accountants decided to open up the purse strings a bit or what.
They need to upgrade their old studio cameras to the new High Def cameras. There are basically 3 TV stations in the area and only 2 of them are High Def. Upscaling their 480 SD cameras aren't fooling anybody that knows what they're looking at.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:45 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Haven't noticed, but my general opinion is WNCT is terrible. I feel bad for Brian Bailey, David Sawyer & Dontae jones who seems to be the only decent reporters / anchors at that station. Their parent company really doesn't seem to want to invest any money in the station based on their building appearance, the constant revolving door, the quality of reporters they hire & the state of their set that looks second class to WITN now. I'm not sure how to expect to pull in ratings when you won't invest in it.
Always thought it would be great for them to sell that land on Evans (someone could put a Apt complex on it or something) and them move downtown...renovate an old warehouse off Evans. With WITN leaving their antiquated Chocowinity digs, I thought it would put the pressure on WNCT to leave theirs as well....and their property on Evans is actually valuable land.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:47 PM

145 posts, read 266,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
They need to upgrade their old studio cameras to the new High Def cameras. There are basically 3 TV stations in the area and only 2 of them are High Def. Upscaling their 480 SD cameras aren't fooling anybody that knows what they're looking at.
I have noticed they have a lot of brand new satellite dishes sitting on their property. I have no idea if they would need to upgrade those to transmit a HD signal, but I agree that they deserve some credit for all the new improvements they have put into the station. Yes, it would be nice if they built a brand new facility, but I think they can make do with what they have. They just need to do a big renovation of the inside of their studio.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
I thought WNCT News went to HD like a year ago. I remember a hubbub when they did it.

The 11pm news is on now and I just turned there, it looks HD to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina