Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 AM

283 posts, read 1,293,047 times

Advertisements

I lived in Craven County in the late 80's, and have visited my sweet mother in Carteret County for years now.

A friend gave me a week at a spot he owns in New Bern in February. I know that the weather can fluctuate from raw and cold to nice and spring-like in the coastal areas in late winter, and I have a bunch of loosly compiled things planned to just run-around and check out a bunch of areas, visit my mother down-east, etc.

I have heard that Edenton is cute. Any other suggestions? I am fairly familiar with the area, and getting there. Any really good eating establishments?

In return, I can help with questions on the Asheville area...

Thanks folks.

Jbird22 - just West of Asheville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,254,544 times
If you're gonna stay in New Bern at your friend's house, then if you haven't already, I would suggest you go on up to Greenville NC and visit the East Carolina north campus along Fifth Street, park on one of the side streets to Fifth and walk on over there. Downtown is talking distance, too, it's on the river, they have a park. You can also get to the Outer Banks from Greenville via 264. Then if you like historic stuff, you could drive down to "Little Washington," very tiny town, to tour the historic buildings on the water, very serene.

Now, Edenton is just a short 30-minute drive to Elizabeth City. ECity is a quaint historic walking town, especially Main and Church Streets. In ECity, you can eat at Grouper's located downtown on the Pasquotank, and there's a wine-tasting place west of that restaurant on the corner of Water and Main. You can also get to the Outer Banks from ECity.

And again, if you like history, I think it's either Edenton or its cousin Hertford that has the oldest house in the area, just a little ways off the main drag near the water, there's a sign. Sorry, I'm not being too helpful on that point. And Edenton is a small town on the water, and Hertford is even smaller town on the water, very quiet. ECity is larger, but not as big as Greenville.

But if you're looking for a really cool place to visit, and you're willing to travel a few hours, PLEZ go to the Outer Banks, if you've never been there. You can get to it by going on up towards Greenville, then follow 264 straight to Manteo, which is where the First Colony was, and then cross over and up north into Nags Head. Climb up Jockey's Ridge, a gigantic sanddune, and check out the view, unforgetttable setting and worth the trip. The surf in winter, too, down on the beach, is something else. AND there are a million good places to eat at the Outer Banks, so you can search this forum for places locals recommend. You can ALSO get to the Outer Banks via Elizabeth City, the long way around. Or you can take a bunch of ferries from the New Bern area, plus the long drive up to Nags Head thru government land, miles and miles of natural beach.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 AM

283 posts, read 1,293,047 times
Thanks Gigimac. I have read your posts before. You are quite helpful. The space is free, and I know the general area pretty well. I am in New Bern mainly b/c it was free and times can be tight. I want to go to all of the other places (driving is not a problem), BUT, I want to also be close to my Mother in Beaufort, as I told her I'd help her with a number of projects that she is unable to do. Usually, I just stay with her ( she lives right on Front St... on the water. Beautiful and serene) But when we am there, I always just want to stay there. Getting this spot, helps me stay close to her, yet gives me a slight boost towards other places I want to see.

Thank you so much for the information. I really do appreciate your comments.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:11 AM

34 posts, read 86,585 times
My husband and I have made several trips to Edenton and are considering it as a possible vacation home/retirement place. My concerns are that it may not be very forward thinking on race issues.We have 2 beautiful grandaughters that are racially mixed and would not want to settle somewhere and be uncomfortable walking into town for ice cream or a movie. Can anyone reasure me that it is not stuck in a time warp on this issue? Any and all info would be great.Thank you.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 PM

444 posts, read 1,619,069 times
Elizabeth City is totally time-warped. Edenton is not nearly as bad, but not a big city either.

Your grandkids have probably already dealt with this issue more than you. They may not even notice the 'stares' unless you react. Besides, many progressive families adopt outside of their race. You'll probably see more diversity 'almost' anywhere you travel. Relax, they'll have fun just because you are there and you care so much.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 AM

34 posts, read 86,585 times
Thanks for the input RedRockAAAA....I tend to over think issues as a mom/grandma. We have travelled the world and lived 4 yrs in Italy, but never saw the racism that unfortunatly still exists in the states. The children are preschoolers and somewhat still immune. But I tell you what I would never settle in the midwest as it was a very uncomfortable trip to Iowa with them one summer.Never can tell where you will experience it so I like to check out the forward thinking of the town I could possibly settle in. Edenton seems exactly what we are looking for in a beautiful small town. Thanks again!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,103 times
Cool racial issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpironman61 View Post
My husband and I have made several trips to Edenton and are considering it as a possible vacation home/retirement place. My concerns are that it may not be very forward thinking on race issues.We have 2 beautiful grandaughters that are racially mixed and would not want to settle somewhere and be uncomfortable walking into town for ice cream or a movie. Can anyone reasure me that it is not stuck in a time warp on this issue? Any and all info would be great.Thank you.

I lived in edenton up until 2010 and i am black and i have mixed children no one was ever rude or unkind to us it was the kind of place where strangers say hello and strike up a conversation. I never went to school there i moved there knowing no one and left with several good friends. Even the older residents are that way(which is not always the case other places.)

Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,103 times
The only downside to edenton is the lack of work and not too much for teens to do other than that it is a beautiful neat quiet place to live

Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,123,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpironman61 View Post
My concerns are that it may not be very forward thinking on race issues.
In my travels of Eastern Carolina I've found the entire area to be quite permissive of different races. The neighborhoods are significantly more diverse than where I lived in MD. Although it doesn't bother me it did come as quite a shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina