Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 03:24 PM

55 posts, read 87,477 times

Advertisements

I wish to move to North Carolina and have always wanted to move to Wilmington near the water but not close enough where I would flood out. My question is this, can I find a job in a office as a nurse because I am kinda over the 50 mark and can't do floor nursing anymore. I was a manager for a floor but the 24/7 responsibility was a bit much. I am coming from the tri state area and the housing slump has hit us hard. I hope to sell my home so I can have enough to buy another. My daughter is a college student and would need to transfer to another college. She is academicly ok with a 4.0 average but I don't know what school would accept her? I also don't know if I can afford it and myself to live there. I also would need benefits. Any suggestions would be welcomed!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 AM

53 posts, read 201,337 times
I'm afraid I can't answer the nursing question, but if your daughter needs to find a new college, I'm sure most of them would be happy to accept a student with a 4.0. That is, after all, the best grade one can get. She could try UNC Wilmington if she wanted to live at home. I've heard good things about it over all. Also, there are a number of colleges located in the Raleigh/triangle area, including Meredith, UNC Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest. Have her do some research on these schools. Perhaps she could send a copy of her transcript to confirm which classes would transfer. Good look!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 AM

70 posts, read 182,645 times
I think the demand for nurses is pretty strong in this area. You can get a townhome or a nice smaller home in a good area for under $200,000 easily these days. Please make sure you ask around before using an agent. I know of a couple who are re-locating here and their agent had them sign an agreement that tied them up from May to Nov. and they were not pleased with the efforts of this agent. Don't just ask an agent how long they have been in the business but how long they have lived in that area. See if they ask you questions about what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. See if they are relaxed and engage you in conversation or just seem desperate to make a sell. There are some great , ethical ones and some that just got in it to make (what they thought would be easy)money. It's not as easy a profession as some think. I love living here.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:43 AM

9 posts, read 72,696 times
if you are an rn you shouldnt have to hard a time finding a job. m.d. office jobs arent gonna pay great but i dont know what youre used to. wilmington is a tourist town so on that salary and paying for school and home could cause financial problems. again i dont know the salary youre accustome to but shouldnt be too hard to find work. if your willing to travel 15-30min that opens up more for you.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:14 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,787 times
Answers to your questions really depend on a LOT of factors that you are not stating.

Yes you will be able to find a job in the nursing field....especially if you are R.N. BUT you may not find the salary you currently are used to, especially in dr offices. My bet is you will be earning less.

Your daughter could apply at UNC-Wilmington. She has a really good shot at getting in, but don't assume she will definitely get in. I've heard some students having issues transferring (I work at the community college). UNC-Wilmington is the only state-funded university in Wilmington. There are a few private 4-yr colleges, but they are very expensive and don't offer very many degrees: Mount Olive and Miller-Motte.

And whether you can buy a house really depends on your price range. If you are looking for something under $170,000, you will probably find something in a less desirable neighborhood or needs a lot of repairs or a condo/townhouse (if you buy a condo/townhouse remember that there will be expensive maintenance/HOA fees added). If you are looking for something $170,000 - $200,000 (or more), you could probably find something nice and move-in ready.

If you don't mind moving somewhere on the outskirts of Wilmington (Brunswick or Pender county) you will probably get a little more house for your money, but you will have a long stressful commute and spend lots of gas money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina