Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 PM

181 posts, read 633,433 times

Advertisements

I say that and this is no lie because I called the information line back to check the number. I called Time Warner the number they gave me. It rand and then someone came on with another number ans called it. It was a recording about sex by phone. Anyway I called it again and did get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:24 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,255,637 times
Your son is just being a teenager. All they want to do is hang out. And they don't want to go anywhere with the family, it's all a bore to them. BUT he won't be able to contain himself when he goes to Nags Head, he can't help but have fun, especially when he finds out how many of his friends in school go there as a pastime. He'll end up going with them in his Junior and Senior year on Saturdays from time to time, some of them will have family cottages and he may get invited. Also, a lot of older teens in ECity know how to surf, they have surfboards, and they go all up and down the Outer Banks to surf, a very cool activity to a teenager.

As for his interest in fish, ECity is right on a great big old river, wide and smooth, and he might like to go fishing with his Dad. Also, there are places where ducks come quacking up to the river shore, so the little ones will like that, too. A lot of older kids also go water skiing with friends' parents who have a speed boat. Also, a lot of people in ECity have fish tanks, so you can get him into that, there are stores that have fish tank stuff in town, it will keep him occupied. And there is a giant aquarium at the Outer Banks, over in Manteo, a little island not too far from Nags Head.

Also, hang gliding is a very big deal at the Jockey's Ridge Park sand dunes at the beach in Nags Head. There's a modern two-story wood building across from the dunes, you can't miss it, lots of flags, wind sails, hang gliders, plus people can sign up for lessons. He'll be fascinated with all the stuff in there, plus I think they have surfboards too. And there IS a place where people can enjoy amusement park rides at the beach, goes on into the night, all lit up.

ECity has a "pool" park, it's pretty big, has little train rides that go around and around, playground stuff, all for small children. Vacation Bible School is very big with all the churches in town, altho I guess those things are probably over by now. And of course there are movies in the afternoons for kids. Ice cream places are in town, where you drive up and get one from a window.

Moving is tough on everybody. But your husband is telling you it's all good in ECity, so I'm sure once you get there and with him, things will settle down. Have fun!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 PM

144 posts, read 681,659 times
Hey Reese, personally I like to "boogie board". My sons bought me a boogie board ($75), a rash guard ($12.95)(which is a shirt that prevents rashes from the boogie board) and a pair of swim fins ($20) (Check the surf shops and the Ben Franklin in Kill Devil Hills, down at the beach). We go down to the beach when the surf is good and ride the waves. It takes a little practice but it's lots of fun. I'm 43 (I magically become 17 again in the water!) but I love it. You have to go on a day when the waves are chest to shoulder but smooth. you also want to make sure the waves are not breaking on the shore (hence: "shorebreak") where you are, but are breaking about 25 to 35ft out. You can get the surf report from

The Outer Banks Premier Surf Report - Home Page Surf Cam

My oldest when we moved was into baseball cards and street hockey but he gladly traded it in for a surfboard/boogie board and the beach. A general rule is the farther south you go on the OBX the nicer the water. It's not always true but mostly.

On another note:
Men tend to love the adventure of a move and the excitement of the possibilities. Women tend to enjoy the security of a stable home and familiar surroundings (nothing wrong with that unless your moving). Saying good bye to the familiar can be difficult for some, but take your time and be thorough. Then when it's time to go--be quick. Start now talking about the good possibilities that await you and don't allow yourself to dwell on the things that you're leaving too much and focus on how exciting the possibilities are of the wonders and adventure that awaits you. You'll be fine.
Be determined to be happy and excited and you'll be surprised how much it will help you.

Sorry my preacher is showing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina