Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 07:10 PM

5 posts, read 14,201 times

Advertisements

I'm a first timer on this site but have learned alot already by reading other posts... anyway, I am yet another of the many people on this site that have relocated to NC. My wife and I are currently in the Raleigh-Durham area as of a month. It is nice here but we really enjoyed a trip we made to Wilmington and the Southport area. I am interested in any opinions folks could offer on the areas both good and bad.. I'm simply exploring the idea of moving there and would appreciate any info anyone could provide.. housing costs, job market, lifestyle, etc.

We are too young to retire (I wish) so the job market is important. What we would really like to do is open a small to medium size place serving good food and drink in downtown Wilmington or Southport/Oak Island so we need input from people on the success and failures we might encounter.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 11:25 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
your idea is good. keep it to wilmington. if you have money, and a good idea, you can be successful in this town. however, if you are planning to move here from raleigh and expecting a better job market, keep dreaming.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:38 AM

70 posts, read 182,506 times
Lots of places open and close in a year or two downtown and rents are expensive. Mayfaire has a glut of places to eat You might want to consider Hampsted. It has a lot of people and not as many options. It is an area ripe for more businesses.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:49 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Default Some notes. . .

I would not want to discourage you, but I don't think Wilmington needs another restaurant, unless you truly have something very different to offer -- and to go into downtown Wilmington to open one, you will be competing against some well-established ones right now (not that all of the well-established ones are good, mind you).

Southport may be a bit small, yet, in just the Southport area, proper, and can be a bit clannish because of its small size. Again, the restaurants there on the water, and around the yacht basin, have been there for years, and it might be difficult to compete.

I have often wondered if a small Mom 'n Pops style place, simple menu, good food in-season, reasonably-priced in the Brunswick County area of the fast-growing neighborhoods and retirement communities wouldn't do nicely -- serving largely breakfast and lunch, and perhaps a few items to carry-out that might serve two people. Retirees, many of them, don't want to cook necessarily, but long for home-style cooking at a reasonable price.

I would think meals-to-go would meet the needs of busy Moms in areas like Magnolia Greens, too. I would have loved something relatively accessible, affordable, and an alternative to grabbing fried chicken or a hamburger on the way home from school, and ballet, and soccer practice. My sister seems to pick up 'convenience' foods/meal items quite a bit at places like Harris-Teeter, but it's always the same things, and the kids complain.

What about a meatloaf in varying sizes, baked 'real' macaroni-and-cheese, a pan of lasagna, stuffed, rolled chicken breasts, 'real' mashed potatoes, occasionally a seafood item? The menu could vary with the seasons, with what is in season.

Such a lousy economy right now to try to do anything until I think you might be better off just waiting-it-out for now.

My husband and I are Wilmington natives who moved to Raleigh with his work, and we have never regretted the decision. Traffic in, and around, the Wilmington area is almost impossible -- the road system has never caught-up with the growth.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 14,201 times
Thank you very much for your responses.. the information is very helpful. We're are walking softly at this point and don't plan on making any rushed decisions. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,119 times
Smile moving to wilmington

I totally agree that the Brunswick County area would be the way to go if you did move here. The population is growing and several new-home communities are being built.

I love Wilmington, but I agree with the previous posters. The traffic is horrible and there are way too many food establishments already here.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:33 AM

76 posts, read 366,048 times
Wilmington has too many restaurants, but I would LOVE to hear that someone is bringing one to the southport area. Look at the huge success Surfers has seen since moving into the former Sandfiddler location. We are desperate for quick, clean, healthy (not buffet crap) lunches, or even dinner, for that matter.

Let us know what you decided.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:09 PM

9 posts, read 42,937 times
Iam from new jersey and we just moved to the southport area the area of 211 higway is growing fast you should check this area there are about 7 gated communities there like minature cities

Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 24,928 times
Default south port oak island

Hello! Does anyone know if South port, oak island, or the surrounding areas in need of child care. I run a great full day preschool four days a week on the Outer banks, but we are really interested in moving to the area. If so, what is the work force like there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina