Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Isolated in Alaska, change to warm weather, outdoor activities, camping, laid back personality, fishing, hunting, living close to the beach, port like town, CCW permits, New Bern, Beaufort, Surf City

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 14,840 times

Advertisements

So I have been in Alaska freezing my butt off for my whole life. My husband and I are ready for a change, a warm change. I have thrown the idea of moving to North Carolina or South Carolina, somewhere by a beach. I would love any help on finding this great new place. I am looking for affordable living, beach, ocean, out door activities, nice schooling, laid back personality, camping, fishing and hunting. I am also wondering about your CCW permits. Is it easy to obtain, and do you need one at all? In AK we don't have to have one at all. Anyway's any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 06:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,731,369 times
What do you call affordable? And how close to the beach do you want to live.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,117,007 times
Default Ccw

The North Carolina General Assembly enacted a concealed handgun law that allows qualifying citizens of North Carolina the opportunity to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun. This law became effective on December 1,1995, and requires that the permit be secured from the sheriff of the permittee's county of residence. Once issued, the permit is valid throughout the state for a period of five years, unless it has been revoked.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 PM

I am looking to spend at the most 200k, and need 3 bedrooms minimum. I want to live in a port like town on the water. As long as the city/town is on the water I will be happy.

Thank you for the advise on the CCW permit. Seems pretty standard, I have one for AK even though not required. So it should be easy to obtain on there.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,731,369 times
You can check out New Bern which is on the river or Morehead City, Beaufort, or Swansboro. All 3 have small ports and are right on the water and very close to the beach. You should be able to find a home for around $200K but it won't be on the water.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 PM

36 posts, read 137,390 times
Hi Alaskan_West!

What a transition you are wanting to make. I believe you will find that there are quite a few choices for homes in your price range here in Surf City on Topsail Island. We also have many homes on the mainland and in nearby towns of Hampstead, Holly Ridge, and Sneads Ferry.
Some links for your consideration are included below! Good luck in your search and let me know if you have questions! (Go to links section of site)

WELCOME TO HAMPSTEAD

Town of Surf City check out the links area for more info

Old 06-29-2008, 06:12 AM

713 posts, read 3,956,025 times
Smile Try western Carteret County or Swansboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_West View Post
So I have been in Alaska freezing my butt off for my whole life. My husband and I are ready for a change, a warm change. I have thrown the idea of moving to North Carolina or South Carolina, somewhere by a beach. I would love any help on finding this great new place. I am looking for affordable living, beach, ocean, out door activities, nice schooling, laid back personality, camping, fishing and hunting. I am also wondering about your CCW permits. Is it easy to obtain, and do you need one at all? In AK we don't have to have one at all. Anyway's any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
One of the unique things about our area near Cape Carteret, Emerald Isle, and Swansboro is the 158,000 acres of Croatan National Forest (http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Croatan/ - broken link).

It gives us a great buffer to keep development from overwhelming the area.

In fact one of the things that drew me to the area was the mix of woods and beaches. We lived in the Canadian wilderness for 17 years so having some wild country around makes me feel at home.

During the fall, "winter," and spring, we really enjoy the area's trails.

There are wide variety of new or relatively new homes available under $200K within seven or eight miles of the beach.

There are also older homes in Swansboro or Cape Carteret that are close to your price range. We haven't been immune to housing slump so there is plenty of inventory and some of it available for 10% or more below asking price.

You can fish year round, but most of the serious fishing is from April to November. You can fish in the surf, with a skiff in the sounds and rivers, or along the beaches. Slightly larger boats go offshore.

This Google aerial photo will give you a good view of the area. My area services map shows where most things are in the area including airports.

There seems to be plenty of space for hunting, but I know some of the best hunting is done in areas owned and managed by clubs. I have a friend who has a mounted bear in his home. It would be tiny in comparison to the stuffed bears that I remember from my 1970 summer trip to Alaska.

At that time, I think only 15 miles of the ALCAN Highway was paved. I still remember stopping and camping at gravel pits and catching rainbows and graylings for dinner. Can you still do that?

The schools are very good in Carteret County. We have people move to the county just for the schools.

As to the personality of the area, it is a really nice spot filled with people who generally appreciate the uniqueness of the area where they are living.

Most people in the area love the out of doors, so if the weather and winds are good and you disappear for fishing, most people understand.

The waters are filled with shrimp. One of my neighbors went fishing last Sunday and his son-in-law made a single cast with a nine ft cast net and came up with over 100 shrimp and minnows.

We also benefit greatly from living near a river that doesn't have a city on it. The White Oak River is a very unique river, filled with oyster beds and plenty of fish. I often slip my kayak into the water behind my house and pretty much have the river to myself.

The White Oak is one of the most natural rivers remaining in North Carolina. Some of the best hunting in the area is available in its upper reaches. The 30+ mile length of the White Oak is tiny in length by Alaska standards, but the river where I live is over a mile wide.

Still we are only 2.75 miles by water from the Intracoastal Waterway. Usually it takes me ten minutes with our 90 hp skiff to get there and another ten minutes to get out Bogue Inlet into the Atlantic.

These are slides from a fishing recent trip when we went after Spanish Mackerel. We left from our home on the White Oak about 6 am.

We have some great fun in the area. I love the annual Swansboro Oyster Roast which along with the Saint Patrick's Day Festival in Emerald Isle usually kicks off the outdoor festival season in mid-March when you're still covered in snow and darkness.

We walked the beaches all months of the year. Here's a December beach walk, a walk on the beach on New Year's Day. This is a spring beach walk where you can see people swimming in April.

We are also in a great area with lots of things to do. There's everything from the history of Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link) to Cape Lookout National Seashore and Fort Macon State Park.

We are a small town area, but that is one of the reasons that I love Carteret County.

We even have great fireworks on the Fourth of July and lots of year round restaurants.

The Cape Carteret City Data Profile is pretty representative of our end of the county even though it is only one of the towns.

We get pretty quiet in the "winter" but I ride my bike whenever I want, kayak pretty well through December. I even got ripe tomatoes off my tomato vines until December 19 last year. This year I got my first ripe tomato on June 1. I have already gotten one that weighs 1.335 lbs. Our area strawberries are usually ripe sometime between the last week of March and the middle of April.

This is a tour of Emerald Isle and a Swansboro Sunday in the "winter." Notice the flowers blooming in December in Swansboro.

As you can see from this picture our winter can be pretty spectacular.

January of 2007, we had a total of 19 hours below freezing for the whole month. We also had 12 days when the temperature went over seventy.

These are some of my favorite pictures from a recent beach walk and another morning on the water.

I think the back of the tee-shirt that I often wear pretty well sums up our area.
QUIT YOUR JOB

GET A TAN

FALL IN LOVE

NEVER LOOK BACK

Last edited by dsobotta; 06-29-2008 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: broken link

Old 06-30-2008, 01:31 PM

WOW ^^^ What a quote. I can't wait untill we finally get the guts to move. It will be at least a year till I am ready, so I am glad that all of you have responded. I will be doing a lot of research on where I would like to visit around Oct - Nov. There I will try to take a 2 week, hopefully longer, vacation down there. So keep your comments coming cause I cannot wait to visit! And as for fishing up here, there are some places that are getting more scarce, but the fishing is awesome up here. That's why I kinda chose either N or S Carolina. There are beaches, and warmth, along with the same outdoor activities.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 14,272 times
Alaskan-West, my wife and I too are life-long Alaskans and recently moved to NC (about a month ago) in search of a better climate. We have driven all over NC and a little of coastal SC. On first blush, it seems like a beutiful place and most people seem real nice, at least the people we have met that are from NC. They are a lot like Alaskans in their friendliness (sp?) and willingness to help someone.

We fell in love with the Outer Banks and and really liked Brunswick County... be warned though, depending on your personal situation, that the job market seems a bit poor on the coast and pay seems a lot less than what you will find in AK. Additionally, while the beaches are great and living on a relatively warm ocean is my dream too... there is a seriuos lack of fresh clear water in the rivers and lakes, and most land is privately held and may not be accesible for hunting.. other than that, we love it here and plan on staying the rest of our lives if we can make a go at it.. the people are really wonderful and you can't beat the climate.

Good luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM

713 posts, read 3,956,025 times
Smile The clear clean water depends on where you are

Anytime you have a city on a river, you're probably going to have a problem. If you add some hog farms, then you have a real problem.

We're very pleased with the White Oak River. While it isn't perfect, it is in pretty good shape mostly because it flows through a lot of protected land and has no city and only one hog farm.

It is a blackwater river so it might look different to you, but it's a good clear, clean river.

I lived in Canada with lots of clear, clean, rivers. Sometime the biggest crop happened to be black flies.

Some of the Canadian rivers were clean to the point of having very little aquatic life in them.

We're fortunate in that the White Oak is filled with shrimp and minnows and enough other fish to keep us happy.

I had a friend get over 100 shrimp and minnows in one cast of a seven ft. cast net the other day.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-02-2008 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina