Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2022, 09:14 AM

59 posts, read 49,574 times

Advertisements

So, with the plan to relocate down to Brunswick County and maybe Wilmington area, we are planning to come down and stay for 2-3 months to end before the summer high season. Figured March-May...

We are open to suggestions, and thoughts or otherwise helpful information. It's just my wife & I, so a one bedroom is fine, 2 might be better for space. A place with a pool is preferred, condo or home rental either way. Community living ok as well. Just not overly familiar with the area or course so looking for some "inside" info!

We have been down for a few weekly visits, but want an extended stay to get a proper feel for the area. We have narrowed down a few places we like that may be out permanent decision, but want to be on location as well for possible resale properties that may hit the listings. Can't do that effectively from 10 hours away, lol. Any realty recommendations are appreciated as well, because we may go that route too.

Much appreciated in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 09:17 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Just a comment. Outdoor pools typically will not be open until the end of May, so a pool should not matter when you rent.
However there are numerous furnished condo rentals in St James Plantation. You may have to negotiate on price, as they are usually weekly rental for a golf vacation. I also suggest looking at VRBO, as you are looking in the "shoulder season".

Old 12-09-2022, 09:18 AM

Wasn't aware of that, I assumed the earlier warmth (weather) would mean earlier opening of pools as compared to NY. Wrong of me to assume, lol. Thank you.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:26 AM

You could also check Crow Creek and Brunswick Plantation if you are interested in the southern part of Brunswick County. They both have indoor pools.
It is expensive to heat a pool, so most developments rely on sunshine.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:48 AM

Will do! Relying on sunshine is why we are looking down there in NC as compared to NY. Hopefully extending the # of days we will be outdoors

Old 12-09-2022, 12:04 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Rentals like that are in very short supply, especially for April and May, which starts the active short term rental season. How much are you looking to pay?

Old 12-09-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Rentals like that are in very short supply, especially for April and May, which starts the active short term rental season. How much are you looking to pay?
We haven't really looked yet, so not aware of what the market demands. But that said, we don't have a budget so the field is wide open, not looking for a million dollar ranch, lol, a simple one or two bedroom apt with amenities is a plus, garage or parking ++.

We will be out and about a lot checking things out and try to get a good feel for it all. Been down over the last year a few times, couple of weeks total, so want to be there more.

Can you provide ideas of ranges ($)?

Thank you

Old 12-10-2022, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK NY View Post
We haven't really looked yet, so not aware of what the market demands. But that said, we don't have a budget so the field is wide open, not looking for a million dollar ranch, lol, a simple one or two bedroom apt with amenities is a plus, garage or parking ++.
Your requirements are a little too vague, so I will document some assumptions. 1. You want a furnished place. 2. You will not bring a dog. 3. You do not require to be on a golf course. 4. You do not actually want to be in a congested part of Wilmington, but prefer a suburb like Leland, Southport or Ocean Isle Beach.

Here's my SWAG based on the assumptions. You would pay $2100-2900/month for a one-bedroom. That is based on the cheapest $70/night from VRBO and averaging other rates.

I suggest calling the Best Western/Westgate Inn and Suites in Leland: (910) 371-2858. They are supposed to be extended stay, but it only has fridge, microwave and coffee service.

Also call the Waterleaf at Leland apartments. They do not say whether they do short-term leases, but they are new, and it seems worth asking: (910) 565-6895.

If you want to go to St James Plantation, the cheapest rate I see is $95/night for an efficiency-type lock-out unit. For one-beroom it is $140/night and for 2-bedroom it is $190/night. Website here: https://www.stjames-properties.com/r...ls/club-villa/

For the hotel you probably also have to pay 14% occupancy tax. Ask about taxes at St. James.

If this is sounding like too much money, consider only one-month stay. We were able to make a decision in 2 days on our permanent place, after looking online for years.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-10-2022 at 02:32 AM..

Old 12-10-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Your requirements are a little too vague, so I will document some assumptions. 1. You want a furnished place. 2. You will not bring a dog. 3. You do not require to be on a golf course. 4. You do not actually want to be in a congested part of Wilmington, but prefer a suburb like Leland, Southport or Ocean Isle Beach.

Here's my SWAG based on the assumptions. You would pay $2100-2900/month for a one-bedroom. That is based on the cheapest $70/night from VRBO and averaging other rates.

I suggest calling the Best Western/Westgate Inn and Suites in Leland: (910) 371-2858. They are supposed to be extended stay, but it only has fridge, microwave and coffee service.

Also call the Waterleaf at Leland apartments. They do not say whether they do short-term leases, but they are new, and it seems worth asking: (910) 565-6895.

If you want to go to St James Plantation, the cheapest rate I see is $95/night for an efficiency-type lock-out unit. For one-beroom it is $140/night and for 2-bedroom it is $190/night. Website here: https://www.stjames-properties.com/r...ls/club-villa/

For the hotel you probably also have to pay 14% occupancy tax. Ask about taxes at St. James.

If this is sounding like too much money, consider only one-month stay. We were able to make a decision in 2 days on our permanent place, after looking online for years.
Awesome information! Thank you!!!

Yes, and sorry, haven't needed to do anything like this in a long time, so apologies for absent information, lol. Furnished, no pets, away from the noise... all checked boxes!

We will definitely follow up on all of the above, much appreciation.

Old 12-10-2022, 09:11 AM

The 5th assumption is that you can live with a fridge and microwave, not a full kitchen.
Waterleaf at Leland does do 3 month leases. Their one bedroom start at $1359, for a year. You could bring one small truck of furniture if you are positive you are going to stay in North Carolina. There are also furniture rental places in Wilmington.
There are some cute cottages on VRBO in Oak Island, starting at $140/night. These would be hot seasonal rentals, so you should be able to act quickly. AirBnB is also an option.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-10-2022 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina