Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,022,071 times

Advertisements

Help me solve a family debate . My son's dad thinks times have changed
and a car is a "must have" for today's college freshmen, especially at East
Carolina where he says the bus system isn't great. I say I got thru
3 1/2 years of college just fine with no car until I needed to student teach.
Do freshmen really need cars????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,248,322 times
As long as the boy lives on campus, all he "needs" is a bike.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:30 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,252,511 times
We would get him a car. Walking downtown is not safe. Every couple of weeks kids are getting robbed late at night walking from the clubs. You should check out this past weeks Daily Reflector newspaper, I think this past Wed., 2 students were robbed at gunpoint walking back to their dorm. I think you would feel safer if he was driving instead of being in cars with other students driving. Greenville has changed so much in just the last 5 years in growth, your son would be safer driving to Memorial or Arlington Drive to go to the stores and restaurants then going downtown. MO. I know it is not an easy decision, we had 3 kids in college.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 AM

180 posts, read 701,331 times
I did not have a car until my last year of graduate school at ECU (I attended from 1994-2000 for two degrees) but back then, the area was much safer than what it seems to be now. I don't know how things may have changed in regards to parking, but I remember the freshman lot being way out Charles Blvd., so students who had cars had to take a bus to get them anyway. If I recall, the bus ran fairly late, and I would not recommend waiting alone in any parking lot around the university alone after dark.

I found the bus system to be fine, but there wasn't much outside of the university for me in Greenville so I didn't worry so much. I'd take the occasional bus to the mall, and would take a bus to the medical center daily. Never had any problems. I'd think that infrastructure would only have improved over the years as the school as grown, including transportation infrastructure, but I my feeling could be wrong.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:21 PM

40 posts, read 229,543 times
I would opt to get him a car as well....the freshman lot is far away....also, he will probably eventually want to move into an apartment....well, all of the safe complexes are further out from the campus....

Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM

228 posts, read 601,615 times
Transit - Home

ECU has a great transit system with buses running into the wee hours during the school year. The freshman lot is quite far from campus...he would be better off not having a car the first year.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,248,322 times
Dear Kelsie,
Gosh, I am just so blown away to hear about these muggings going on in basically student haunts, like downtown, and now I hear this story about kids heading back to their dorms. What seems to be the problem, and who are these muggers? I wanted to move back to Greenville after years of being away, and I just want to hear more info. Maybe it's the crystal meth epidemic? Thanks, and sorry for hyjacking this thread.
GG

Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,987 times
Maybe one can look into a prepaid cab card (or gift certificate) to use when needed? I'm not sure if any of the taxi services in G'ville offer that, but it's worth a shot. Since the freshman lot is so far away, the freshmen run the risk of being mugged just going to and from the car unfortunately.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:48 PM

337 posts, read 826,968 times
I went to ECU and lived in G'ville from 91-98. I never lived in the dorms I had a car but I walked to campus everyday because parking is no good around the campus.

I would say no car until he moves off campus. I can't believe there are muggings-that is NUTS. We walked everywhere in college. Cabs are not really that available, at least not when I was there.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. 01 Snake View Post
I can't believe there are muggings-that is NUTS. We walked everywhere in college.
Agreed. My sis went there and I visited often. We walked here and yon without incident. It's sad, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: