Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2021, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,703 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
My family and I currently live in a small suburb in Pennsylvania. We’ve been eyeing up North Carolina for a few years and my husband got offered a job in the Jacksonville area. Ideally we’d love to be closer to the coast with a 30-40 minute commute to Jacksonville for work but, good schools are a must, family type atmosphere with fun things to do. I’ve heard good things about Hampstead, Swansboro and Sneads Ferry but I’d like to ask if there’s any other places I could be missing? Or even get some opinions on the places I listed? Also around 300k but preferably less (I love a mild fixer uppers) It’s so hard to relocate when you have no one else’s opinions and I know a town isn’t based on online statistics alone so I figured I’d shoot this out into cyber space hoping for some advice! Thanks in advance all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 06:26 PM

927 posts, read 755,033 times
Look for houses in the Topsail High School district.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:54 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renrey View Post
......Also around 300k but preferably less (I love a mild fixer uppers) It’s so hard to relocate when you have no one else’s opinions and I know a town isn’t based on online statistics alone so I figured I’d shoot this out into cyber space hoping for some advice!.....
I live in Sneads Ferry, and it is a little too quiet for my taste. However, with the job in Jacksonville, the husband would have a 30-35 minute commute.

The Topsail school districts include Topsail Beach, Surf City and Hampstead. The schools are better rated than Sneads Ferry's, but the commute would be longer to Jacksonville: 45-50 minutes. The prices will also be higher.

Price appreciation has been quite sharp here. A budget of $300,000 will restrict you to an older, fixer-upper or a new townhouse in Sneads Ferry and Holly Ridge. It would be much harder to find a decent house in the Topsail school district in that price range.

BTW, there is nothing wrong living with Jacksonville itself. It is safe, reasonably priced and not very urban. It does have military noises from artillery and helicopters, but you get used the hearing the "sounds of freedom". Swansboro would be OK also, and it will have numerous small ranches in your price range.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,703 times
I’ve seen some houses in the Jacksonville area that would be a nice fit, more concerned about the school districts since most of them are rated below Swansboro and Sneads Ferry which makes me a little weary. Topsail schools seem amazing but I’m also concerned about the over crowding I keep hearing about Hampstead which seems to be happening in our neighborhoods now on Pennsylvania which is good for some but not for most of that makes sense. I don’t think we’d mind quiet as long as there would be options nearby to check out. I’m not sure if there’s anything along those lines in Sneads or Swansboro. Farmers markets, community things or anything along those lines I guess is what I’m trying to get at here. Beach access is also important and I believe Emerald Isle would be closer to those options than topsail would be to Hampstead? Apologies in advance if I’m being annoying it’s hard to relocate somewhere you’ve only really visited once! I appreciate all the feedback!

Old 09-16-2021, 09:38 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renrey View Post
I’ve seen some houses in the Jacksonville area that would be a nice fit, more concerned about the school districts since most of them are rated below Swansboro and Sneads Ferry which makes me a little weary.......
The ratings of the schools do not matter so much as the motivation of the student and parents. I have friends whose kids went to Northside High in Jacksonville, and they have gotten into very good colleges like UNC, Meredith and Michigan State. Onslow County also has an a Early College option where the student can early college credits while finishing their high school diploma. It also has Advanced Placement course for very motivated kids.

BTW, Jacksonville has a farmer's market on the Richlands Highway. There is a Children's Museum and are plenty of community events.

Emerald Isle and Cape Carteret are also good options for commuting into Jacksonville. The Croatan HS in Newport gets a 10 rating at GreatSchools. But please check what is available in your budget.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-16-2021 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-20-2021, 11:44 AM

59 posts, read 61,692 times
Many also live in Emerald Isle and commute the 40-45 mins to Jacksonville Depends on what you value most - living on the island or less of a commute. Carteret schools are good from what i am told. they bus them from the island to the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina