Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 09:33 AM

569 posts, read 341,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Dogs and cats eliminate in public. Is it legal for humans to do so?
Not sure if it's legal or not, but I see nothing wrong with "going to the bathroom" behind the sand dunes, in cases of an emergency - but only on quiet, less populated beaches - like ones with HOA's providing beach access.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:35 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Dogs and cats eliminate in public. Is it legal for humans to do so?
And that actually raises a relevant question. Apparently, in some areas (San Francisco and other west coast cities), eliminating body wastes in public and thereby contaminating public rights of way is acceptable. Is that where we're going? Third world or medieval-style atrocious hygiene as an accepted way of life?

Old 03-03-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Not sure if it's legal or not, but I see nothing wrong with "going to the bathroom" behind the sand dunes, in cases of an emergency - but only on quiet, less populated beaches - like ones with HOA's providing beach access.
On someone's privately owned property? Really? That's their yard.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
On someone's privately owned property? Really? That's their yard.
Better there than in front of the dunes, on the publicly owned beaches ! Frankly, I doubt that this would be a common occurance anyway. The biggest problem would be beachgoers dumping their trash on the beach due to a lack of public trash can. Anyhoo - I'm sure that the HOA has the staff to make sure that the beach access point and adjacent beach areas are kept clean, for all to enjoy. That's the important thing IMO.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:50 AM

I think we can all see where this is going. There are no health/hygiene standards along NC's coastal beaches. Vacation in NC? Take your chances. Much better to choose to book elsewhere where there actually are coastal health/hygiene laws.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
My yard is private property. The NC beaches are public.
Only up to the dune. You have advocated trespassing over the dune to pollute via body wastes on someone's private property:
Quote:
Like I said, I think we can all see where this is going. There are no health/hygiene standards along NC's coastal beaches. Vacation in NC? Take your chances. Much better to choose to book elsewhere where there actually are coastal health/hygiene laws.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:50 AM

I don't condone trespassing over private property, UNLESS it is blocking access to a publically owned entity (park or beach). In that case, there should be a narrow easement allowing the public to gain access. If this is a situation where a property owner feels that folks are illegally trespassing, then the course of action would be to report this to the police and the town authorities. If that doesn't work, then the next step would be to file suit.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:58 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
I think we can all see where this is going. There are no health/hygiene standards along NC's coastal beaches. Vacation in NC? Take your chances. Much better to choose to book elsewhere where there actually are coastal health/hygiene laws.

Yes, we see where this is going. You are the type of person that ruins a good thing for everyone because you make a mountain out of a molehill. People have been finding a way to deal with it for hundreds of years and it hasn't caused any major issues until along comes a whiner who imagines some world-ending catastrophe and lobbies for regulations and signs and patrols to the point they just find it easier to block off the access.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:25 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Yes, we see where this is going. You are the type of person that ruins a good thing for everyone because you make a mountain out of a molehill. People have been finding a way to deal with it for hundreds of years and it hasn't caused any major issues until along comes a whiner who imagines some world-ending catastrophe and lobbies for regulations and signs and patrols to the point they just find it easier to block off the access.
Agree. This is a molehill.

Individuals should take the time and responsibility to familiarize themselves with the nearest bathroom facilities at whatever beach they visit. If there isn't a facility within "reasonable" walking distance, they should probably visit a beach with those facilities nearby.

And 99.999% of people do just that.

OP, there are thousands of parks in cities and towns across the state that don't have bathroom facilities and there aren't piles of poop and pee spread across the state.

This isn't some pandemic . You're bringing up a situation that may happen once a year in an emergency.

The solution is to go to a beach where you know you can get to the bathroom relatively easy and go to that facility when nature calls. That's it.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I don't condone trespassing over private property, UNLESS it is blocking access to a publically owned entity (park or beach).
Traversing privately owned property to access public property is prohibited every time, so I have no idea why you think otherwise. Plenty of people privately own property that abuts public parks, public school campuses, etc. That doesn't mean the public can cut across their privately-owned property to access the public school, etc.

Quote:
In that case, there should be a narrow easement allowing the public to gain access.
And that's the contention. When there is no such granted and opened public easement, there is no public right to access it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina