Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 05:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,620 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to New Bern. We're from Massachusetts on border of RI. Taxes are high, cost of living through the roof, great medical. Im retiredand my wife will be retiring shortly. We visited New Bern a few years ago and liked what we saw. What can you tell us about life there from codt of living, housing, medical, taxes, utilities, etc. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 05:29 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
We lived in Havelock, NC which is about 20 miles from New Bern. We were often in New Bern for various things. The water front is very nice. The hospital is great. Never had an issue there. The cost of living is a little higher seeing as its bigger the Havelock but its not terrible. I dont know about the utilities or taxes though. If you like history New Bern is filled with it and has a great historical district and it also has a nice small town feel for downtown. There is also a great farmers market which is open year round with local produce and other local merchandise. If I would have retired from the Marine Corps in that area I think we would have moved there.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,620 times
Thank you. Do you have any idea about utility rates in the area?

Old 02-04-2020, 06:47 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaad7 View Post
Thank you. Do you have any idea about utility rates in the area?
https://www.newbernnc.gov/department...ewer_rates.php
https://www.newbernnc.gov/department...tric_rates.php

Old 02-05-2020, 07:21 AM

14 posts, read 13,322 times
New Bern is pretty neat place with a very well laid out downtown area that has grown quite a bit in the 5 years since I moved to NC. I'm from Massachusetts also, and although I don't live in New Bern, I've never once regretted moving away from Mass

Old 02-05-2020, 11:54 AM

176 posts, read 239,512 times
We had a home in New Bern for several years. I always found the utility rates quite reasonable.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:53 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
A fairly detailed post of mine is in the first thread provided in post #3.

Pretty much feel the same.

One positive is US 17 is 4 lane to Jacksonville. It is really a very easy drive to the more abundant retail there. We go down there frequently to visit our daughter. So much better than the old two way road.

In addition, the flood zones or flood plains are being revised, if you get too aggressive with waterfront property you might flood. Minimal risk in most (the vast majority) of New Bern.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:29 PM

10 posts, read 29,374 times
Default New Bern observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsaad7 View Post
We're thinking of moving to New Bern. We're from Massachusetts on border of RI. Taxes are high, cost of living through the roof, great medical. Im retiredand my wife will be retiring shortly. We visited New Bern a few years ago and liked what we saw. What can you tell us about life there from codt of living, housing, medical, taxes, utilities, etc. Thanks for your help
I recently semi-retired to New Bern from the Birmingham, AL area. I went to college and beyond in New England. We moved to the south (Charleston, SC) for my first job and spent ten years before moving for my job to Birmingham. Charleston was where we originally wanted to return for retirement, but since we left there in 2000 it has gotten prohibitively expensive, crowded, and overdeveloped. So we began looking for a "kinder gentler" version of Charleston and discovered New Bern. New Bern is no Charleston (in terms of dining scene, affluence, and cultural amenities), but it is also no Charleston in terms of cost of living, traffic, and congestion/overdevelopment. Yet. And now that we are here I really appreciate the small town features that we enjoy here but that would not exist in Charleston or similarly sized cities.

We purchased a home in the downtown historic district (two, actually, but are in the process of selling the first home). It is fantastic to be able to walk out the door and walk to restaurants, local pubs with live music, local theater, the waterfront (which surrounds the city on two sides), parks, shopping, a farmers' market, at least one art gallery built in an old bank, and on and on. We purchased recumbent trikes and they are a blast to toot around town in.

You won't find big name department chain stores, Costco, or a a Sam's club here, but there is ample retail here and nowadays I satisfy my Costco jones and lots of other shopping online anyway. I very much enjoy unique Mom and Pop businesses here (e.g. the fascinating Mitchell's Hardware store). We have not yet even begun to explore the greater area, but look forward to visiting the outer banks, Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, Jacksonville and surrounds, Wilmington, and historic towns like Washington and Bath in the upcoming year or two.

In the end (of course) it totally depends on what is important to you and exactly how you want to spend your retirement. If you are a bon vivant and must dine out only at the finest restaurants, you may not be happy here. There are only a few very good restaurants (try Cypress Hall if you visit), but as a result we now cook more at home (and do pretty well) which is probably healthier and more cost-effective anyway. And trips to nearby restaurants like The Chef and Farmer in Kinston become fun road trips/adventures. We are (believe it or not) actually going to Raleigh for our next anniversary as it is the closest "big city" and we wanted to familiarize ourselves with it anyway....seemed like a good opportunity. We find the people here VERY welcoming and friendly. There is an active newcomer's group, photography club, even a club for people who like us like to ride recumbent trikes. The beach is close enough to be convenient but far enough not to mire the local roads in beach traffic. The weather is NC coastal. Hurricanes are a risk, of course, but to my knowledge not moreso than other places on the southeast cost. There is a good, convenient airport 10 minutes from my home in the downtown area that services (small) Delta and American jets.

I may be rationalizing or trying to convince myself, but I think we made a very good choice retiring to New Bern. Please feel free to contact me with questions....but remember that I'm a newbie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina