Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 07:26 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times

Advertisements

The National Hurricane Center has a page showing average return period in years for coastal regions, how many landfalls broken down into each coastal county, etc. here: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 07:33 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
You can also check tracks of previous hurricanes with this NOAA tool with storm data from 1851-2016: https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/
(I recommend zooming into the map and then on the left choose 'Set on Map' and click the are interested in, change the miles that circle that appears encompasses as desired, and if too many lines to be use-able you can click on 'Advanced Filters', and un-check ET, TD, and TS as needed to reduce the noise, etc or look at each storm category one at a time or something).

Old 01-05-2020, 07:39 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I take it you don’ Go to shows at Thailand Hall or Wilson Center (Cape Fear CC). They both are excellent venues with many varied shows. We especially like Thailan for it’s shows.
Of course I can go to shows at Thalian and Wilson. I have a social life with some friends and I do things in Wilmington. I'm saying that Hampstead is a boring place to live for a single person. There is a public library but nothing else that constitutes 'community'. I'm a single empty nester so of course it is more challenging for me to get connected. I've been here a year and a half and aside from a good job and some very pleasant co-workers there is nothing keeping me here.

I think if you are single and a senior, you have to think carefully about how you want to fill your days and make sure that the place you move to provides the opportunities you are looking for.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:35 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
You can use this map to search for hurricane strikes for any given point. I'd say there isn't any part of the NC coast that hasn't been hit. Honestly, if hurricanes are a major concern, or a deal breaker, anywhere on the southeastern US coast is probably not a good place for you. And hurricanes often effect areas hundreds of miles inland with winds and flooding (see Hugo and Florence). I live in Southport, and my house was built in 1891, so it has survived many hurricanes, so I'm not too worried about it. Hurricanes don't sneak up on you, and you can easily evacuate when they come.

https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

Old 01-13-2020, 05:57 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
We retired and moved to Southport full time in August 2018. We love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina