Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 35,059 times

Advertisements

My sister and her 3 daughters and their families and my mom all lost everything in Katrina. When I told my sister about moving to the coast of NC she said "they get beat up by hurricanes." Is that what sisters are for?! But she is just coming off a very bad experience and she lived on the other side of Lake Ponchatrain from NO. She said get good flood insurance. It had dawned on me that since New Bern is more inland from Pamilico Sound it should fare better. What is the part of the water called where the Neuse River, Trent River and Pamilico Sound all meet? Is that called a bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 05:15 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,951 times
Katiebelle,
The affect of a Hurricane here in NC is somewhat difficult to explain. Our coastlaine (Both inner and outer) face all directions-North, South, East and West. So a storm that could flood a north facing region could leave untouched a a south facing region.
Some coastal areas are not affected by lunar tidal flow (a typical low/high/low tide) but only by wind driven tides.
Also-the worst of the flooding can come days after a storm has left due to the waters that flow from the Piedmont region and swell the creeks and rivers.
And let's not forget-Close proximity to the coast does not necessarily mean a greater chance of being affected by a hurricane. In 1989 Charlotte was "whacked" by hurricane Hugo.
I've lived in Carteret County for 25 years. I have never evacuated. There has been more storms than not-That the people who did evacuate were unable to get back for days or even weeks because they had, in esscence, evacuted to the storm affected areas.
Here's the key when it comes to home purchases. This is something we pay very close attention to for our clients. Flood zone designations/elevations (AE, X, V,etc.) topography, wetlands, uplands, marshes, 404 designations, etc.,etc.
Take a look at the two attachments. The first one is an arial of two waterfront lots. Both in the 3-4 acre range.
Now take a look at the second attachment. This map shows conservation easements, set backs, elevations and wetlands. What all this really means is that the land behind all of the lines is high/dry ground and tends to stay that way. All the other land is wet, will remain wet and tends to flood.
The third attachment is a topography map showing where the 5 foot elevation is.

Whew!! Now to bring this all home! Knowing what is perpetually wet (all though may appear bone dry)-elevations and such you can stay very safe from a hurricanes most destructiove power-flood waters.

I really just scratched the surface on this topic, but I hope this sheds a little light on the subject.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to New Bern-1example.jpg   Moving to New Bern-2example.jpg   Moving to New Bern-3example.jpg  

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 12-20-2006 at 05:53 PM..

Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,951 times
Default What I left out!!

If you take all of the info shown in the above attachments you will see where the three lots side by each will be affected differently-VERY differently to an incoming flood.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:06 PM

110 posts, read 456,057 times
Thanks Bill for a very informative post! I may reconsider New Bern.....

Old 12-22-2006, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 35,059 times
Default We are moving!

We got word yesterday that my husband did get the job at Tryon Palace! We are excited but have to get some preliminary things done quickly. He starts Tuesday, Jan 2!!!!!!!

Does anyone know anything about the rooming house located on Broad Street? They rent out rooms and it would be perfect for the short term - he can walk to work. Let me know what you know about it or about any other temporary living situation such as a rooming house or someone willing to rent a room out for the short term. He will be working 10 hours a day, 4 days a week to give him time to come back to Georgia to get ready for the permanent move. I would expect that he would be a temporary border for about 3 months.

Any leads would be great.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:30 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle View Post
We got word yesterday that my husband did get the job at Tryon Palace! We are excited but have to get some preliminary things done quickly. He starts Tuesday, Jan 2!!!!!!!

Does anyone know anything about the rooming house located on Broad Street? They rent out rooms and it would be perfect for the short term - he can walk to work. Let me know what you know about it or about any other temporary living situation such as a rooming house or someone willing to rent a room out for the short term. He will be working 10 hours a day, 4 days a week to give him time to come back to Georgia to get ready for the permanent move. I would expect that he would be a temporary border for about 3 months.

Any leads would be great.
Good for you guys!

Don't forget to check out Brices Creek. It is the best!

Old 12-22-2006, 07:45 PM

7 posts, read 27,507 times
Default Moving to New Bern

HI,
You will really enjoy New Bern if you like a small town feel. The housing market is starting to slow a bit so you may have luck with a home in your price range depending on the area. I do not think 180 will go far downtown. That is the historic district and can be very pricey. Trent Woods is nice. So is River Bend. If you do not have kids you may want to look there first. The Brice's Creek and James City properties are expensive. The main reason is the school. Brinson is the most sought elementary school in Craven County. In the Carolina Colours subdivision a new elementary school is scheduled to open in fall 2007. The prices in Colours start arount 300-350. Taberna neighborhood is 8 yrs old . Prices there start around 250. Old Cherry Point road has homes you could probably find in you range. Across the"big bridge" is Bridgeton .They have some good areas also.
As for hurricanes. There are parts of town that will have flooding w/ heavy rain so be careful. We moved here in 2004 and so far have only heard stories. None of the stories have been to bad. One of the local favorites is about Floyd. Many people went up to Greenville to "get out of the path". Well Greenville flooded really bad. New Bern did not. Some people were stuck in flooded Greenville while their homes in New Bern were fine . Good Luck w/ your move .

Old 12-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtk93 View Post
HI,
You will really enjoy New Bern if you like a small town feel. The housing market is starting to slow a bit so you may have luck with a home in your price range depending on the area. I do not think 180 will go far downtown. That is the historic district and can be very pricey. Trent Woods is nice. So is River Bend. If you do not have kids you may want to look there first. The Brice's Creek and James City properties are expensive. The main reason is the school. Brinson is the most sought elementary school in Craven County. In the Carolina Colours subdivision a new elementary school is scheduled to open in fall 2007. The prices in Colours start arount 300-350. Taberna neighborhood is 8 yrs old . Prices there start around 250. Old Cherry Point road has homes you could probably find in you range. Across the"big bridge" is Bridgeton .They have some good areas also.
As for hurricanes. There are parts of town that will have flooding w/ heavy rain so be careful. We moved here in 2004 and so far have only heard stories. None of the stories have been to bad. One of the local favorites is about Floyd. Many people went up to Greenville to "get out of the path". Well Greenville flooded really bad. New Bern did not. Some people were stuck in flooded Greenville while their homes in New Bern were fine . Good Luck w/ your move .
Yeah, Brinson is really a good school. That is where I went many years ago! Good memories

Old 12-22-2006, 09:06 PM

110 posts, read 456,057 times
Congratulations Katie! I toured Tryon Palace when I was out there for my job interview in October. Absolutely loved it - I could have spent hours just in the gardens (my field is horticulture). I'm still considering New Bern. I have until March to move, and the relocation includes house-hunting trips, so we will be visiting New Bern, and some other areas, probably later this month.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
Congratulations Katie! I toured Tryon Palace when I was out there for my job interview in October. Absolutely loved it - I could have spent hours just in the gardens (my field is horticulture). I'm still considering New Bern. I have until March to move, and the relocation includes house-hunting trips, so we will be visiting New Bern, and some other areas, probably later this month.

Robin, if you liked the gardens at Tryon, you have to go to biltmore estates in Asheville. Trust me, the gardens there put Tryon to shame. I can't even describe how nice, and huge they are. It is a must see when you get to NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina