Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:52 AM

15 posts, read 16,408 times

Advertisements

From what i'm seeing the houses in Calabash or mainland SB appear to be more traditional with lawns and more trees and a bit more property. The houses on the island itself are raised up beach houses with less property and an occasional palm tree. Rite now i'm leaning to a house on the island but would like to hear from some people who live in Calabash as to why they thought it better to live there .

Last edited by TREEMAN12; 06-25-2017 at 05:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:04 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEMAN12 View Post
So your nephew lives ON Sunset Island, and the beach is within walking distance. To get to the beach from Calabash you have to go over the bridge ( or go by boat ) ? That could be a 15 min. drive or so in most cases i'm guessing?
I haven't been there, I'm just going on what my brother and nephew tell me. My nephew tells me he's 3/4 mile from the beach....my brother states he's in Calabash which is a short drive to my nephew, and about 20 minutes to Myrtle Beach

Old 06-26-2017, 03:36 AM

Any mainland residents want to chime in ?

Old 06-26-2017, 06:22 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Some of the issues to consider are initial purchase price (generally speaking, on the island is going to be more expensive), annual costs (insurance and maintenance will be higher on the island) and community feel. I would suspect that the island doesn't have a lot of year around residents, so it may be a bit lonely or isolated feeling during the winter. Of course, that may or may not be an attraction. Also, the island will be very crowded and busy in the summer, and your neighbors will most likely renters, changing out every week.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Some of the issues to consider are initial purchase price (generally speaking, on the island is going to be more expensive), annual costs (insurance and maintenance will be higher on the island) and community feel. I would suspect that the island doesn't have a lot of year around residents, so it may be a bit lonely or isolated feeling during the winter. Of course, that may or may not be an attraction. Also, the island will be very crowded and busy in the summer, and your neighbors will most likely renters, changing out every week.
Good post BC, I was under the impression SB Island was not very crowed and busy in the summer.I thought that's why so many people love it there. Tourist yes...but not crazy. I'm wondering... don't most owners come back to live in their houses after rental season is over or do they leave them vacant ? To tell the truth I might like somewhat of an isolated feeling during the off season, not sure though.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEMAN12 View Post
Good post BC, I was under the impression SB Island was not very crowed and busy in the summer.I thought that's why so many people love it there. Tourist yes...but not crazy. I'm wondering... don't most owners come back to live in their houses after rental season is over or do they leave them vacant ? To tell the truth I might like somewhat of an isolated feeling during the off season, not sure though.
Well, busy and crowded is subjective, but in the summer, every house will be full and daytrippers will be in abundance. SB may not be as crowded as some, but, but there will be crowds, especially on the developed portion of the beach. You can walk south to the undeveloped are and I'm sure find solitude, but its hot walk in the summer. I'm not intimately familiar with SB, but I don't know of any NC beaches that have a significant number of people who rent out their houses in the summer, and then live in them the other 9 months. Some beaches (Carolina Beach, Oak Island) have significant year around populations, but most are pretty much ghost towns in the winter. Of course, many houses also get rented out in March, April, May, September and October.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:19 PM

I've been to Myrtle....can't be that bad!! There's no hi-rise buildings at SB , thats a good thing!!

Old 06-26-2017, 04:10 PM

No, its not anything like Myrtle.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:11 PM

Thank god........

Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,415,635 times
In my opinion Sunset Beach is the nicest Beach down there. It, like Long Island is a south facing beach which gives you sun all day long. It is dead in the off months and busy in season. Parking for mainland residents coming over the bridge may be an issue. My bet is you would save $2,000 on flood insurance by being on the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina