Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,506,637 times

Advertisements

Being quite a few people are retiring and moving from the Northeast to beautiful NC I thought I would share the experience with our moving company that I want to make sure no one else ever experiences. I wrote the below email to a fellow Forum member and felt I should share with everyone:

Hey Judi,

Our move went terrible to say the least. We contracted with a moving company called Classic Moving Services who we thought were an actual moving company but it turns out they are a moving brokerage company and they gave our job to a company called Guardian Moving Systems. They gave us a initial quote of 5900. When truck showed up I knew we had problems as it was a Budget 26 foot long truck. They had to load it 2 times and it took 11 hours. After everything was loaded they said new quote is 12,780. If we wanted our stuff I had to write them a check that night for additional 7600. They stored furniture for 3 weeks till our house was ready than 3 days before the delivery they called and said our stuff wouldn't be delivered unless I wired them additional balance of 3400. When they came to house I knew we had problems as only 1 26 foot truck showed up and back of truck was wide open and all our king size mattress and box springs ruined as well as missing all bedroom furniture for 3 bedrooms, dining room set, 15 boxes, home stereo, etc....Furniture can be replaced but what hurts the most is all the pictures of the kids since they were born up till now, ages 28 and 30, are missing and can never be replaced. All of our pictured of the kids growing up lost as well. Complete horror show.
Good news is we are down here and out of NJ. Enjoy your visit as it is beautiful down here.

Jim

Please do your research and check the BBB bureau before you contact or contract with any company. Unfortunately I just Googled the company and I read mostly "positive" reviews but one needs to go with the BBB.

Good luck to all future residents of NC or SC. If anyone wants anymore specifics just write me direct.

Last edited by biscman; 09-25-2015 at 04:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 05:27 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,390,235 times
Where is this company located?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:31 AM

31 posts, read 43,368 times
OMG this is awful, sorry you had to go through this..

Old 09-25-2015, 08:53 AM

605 posts, read 1,261,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Being quite a few people are retiring and moving from the Northeast to beautiful NC I thought I would share the experience with our moving company that I want to make sure no one else ever experiences. I wrote the below email to a fellow Forum member and felt I should share with everyone:

Hey Judi,

Our move went terrible to say the least. We contracted with a moving company called Classic Moving Services who we thought were an actual moving company but it turns out they are a moving brokerage company and they gave our job to a company called Guardian Moving Systems. They gave us a initial quote of 5900. When truck showed up I knew we had problems as it was a Budget 26 foot long truck. They had to load it 2 times and it took 11 hours. After everything was loaded they said new quote is 12,780. If we wanted our stuff I had to write them a check that night for additional 7600. They stored furniture for 3 weeks till our house was ready than 3 days before the delivery they called and said our stuff wouldn't be delivered unless I wired them additional balance of 3400. When they came to house I knew we had problems as only 1 26 foot truck showed up and back of truck was wide open and all our king size mattress and box springs ruined as well as missing all bedroom furniture for 3 bedrooms, dining room set, 15 boxes, home stereo, etc....Furniture can be replaced but what hurts the most is all the pictures of the kids since they were born up till now, ages 28 and 30, are missing and can never be replaced. All of our pictured of the kids growing up lost as well. Complete horror show.
Good news is we are down here and out of NJ. Enjoy your visit as it is beautiful down here.

Jim

Please do your research and check the BBB bureau before you contact or contract with any company. Unfortunately I just Googled the company and I read mostly "positive" reviews but one needs to go with the BBB.

Good luck to all future residents of NC or SC. If anyone wants anymore specifics just write me direct.
I am so very sorry for you !! where did the rest of your items wind up??? How can they lose an entire truck full of furniture and memories??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!! horrible. I would go to the police.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:55 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,388,620 times
Sorry to hear. This is the number one reason we plan to sell / give away most of our stuff prior to a move to NC in the future.....taking whatever we can load in a rented 26 ft. truck (that I will drive) with the Wifes car in tow, and I'll be flying back north to pick up my truck and drive back South

Old 09-25-2015, 09:52 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,845,480 times
If it's a NJ company, probably better to post in the NJ forum as a warning--doesn't really have anything to do with Wilmington; if they are a rip-off business, they surely are like that no matter where someone is moving to.

It also might be helpful in General Moving Issues.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:25 AM

That's the major problem. It appears they are a Virtual co. with no brick and mortar. Guardian Moving Systems has a fictitious address on their paperwork saying they are located in South Bend Indiana, I called the South Bend police and the said that unfortunately there is no such street or such company in South Bend, Ind. The sales office is supposedly in Beachwood, Ohio according to their paperwork and when I called the Beachwood police I got the same story. The Customer service Manager works out of Florida somewhere and when I asked for her address she said" we are not allowed to give out that information. I provided all of this to the Tinton Falls Police dept. but didn't get a warm feeling that anyone was going to investigate this as we are no longer a Garden State resident.

Dept of Transportation sorta blem me off as well stating THEIR ARE HUNDREDS OF CASES LIKE THIS GOING ON IN THE nORTHEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Where is this company located?

Old 09-25-2015, 10:36 AM

One of my buddies who is a NJ State Trooper told me about 6 months ago there was a "Sting" operation dealing with similar bogus companies operations out of Brooklyn somewhere and majority of them were of Russian Decent. Guess what language my movers spoke?? Yep, friends of Putin!!!!!

Don't know how these people sleep at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
OMG this is awful, sorry you had to go through this..

Old 09-25-2015, 10:41 AM

That was the first question I confronted them on, got a classic answer, I no speak good English, I Russian...... I overheard one of them saying something about some warehouse in either Elizabeth NJ or Port Elizabeth....I've gone to the police in 3 states as well as the Dept. of Transportation in Washington. Very similar responses from all. Happens all the time and don't expect to see your furniture back, go to your Insurance company. Ins company wants receipts for everything. We have receipts for big items but quite a few boxes of clothes we don't keep receipts if they fit... Crazy process to say the least

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
I am so very sorry for you !! where did the rest of your items wind up??? How can they lose an entire truck full of furniture and memories??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!! horrible. I would go to the police.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM

This is exactly what the Lowes Blinds installer told me he did. He was originally from Toms River NJ, moved to Sunset Beach 20 years ago and did exactly what you said... Sad times when a whole industry gets slammed over a certain number of crooks!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Sorry to hear. This is the number one reason we plan to sell / give away most of our stuff prior to a move to NC in the future.....taking whatever we can load in a rented 26 ft. truck (that I will drive) with the Wifes car in tow, and I'll be flying back north to pick up my truck and drive back South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina